University of London

University of London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom33 reviews
Classrooms
Day to day running and managing classrooms
Diverse

Dynamic

Teaching higher education

problem solving

clinical based learning

personal tutor

laboratory research
Unfriendly overly formal culture
Bad fit for me. Students are always right as they are the bread and butter. Staff unhappy and not treated well. Overly hierarchical attitude compared with other universities where I've worked. Old fashioned technology.
Lovely, welcoming and fun workplace
I had a really great time working at the University of London. The office I was in was with a lovely bunch of people, and I enjoyed going in to work each day. There was lots of opportunity for personal development as well.
A changing challenge
Working for City as a Marketing Ambassador had many advantages. The first thing was the 0-hr contract. Therefore, I could decide when I want to work.
The work itself was well paid and very interesting.
Great way to build experience
Working as a student ambassador at City is a good way to build communications skills, improve team working ability and understand some basic principles of public relations. The organizers of events from the marketing department are professional and provide all of the necessary training to ensure you are well prepared to do the required job, and there is are regular opportunities for retraining to maintain high standards.
Pros
free lunches, freedom to choose which jobs you work
Cons
events come occasionaly only
Imperial College
Good perks and discounts. Excellent pay and pension contributions. Career progression may be limited but staff development opportunities are there to taken
Decent pay, not a great environment
I had a temp role, and the money paid well. However the shifts weren't as regular as first suggested and the work culture was not very welcoming. However I would still recommend it to people who are looking for temporary roles as long as they apply early.
Stable work but hit glass ceiling
It's nice environment as RHUL is ranked as the most beautiful campus in the UK. Transportation is convenient, around 45 min from London Waterloo to Egham. Colleagues are friendly and supportive. However, the management here is a bit chaotic and high staff turnover is common.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of London?
Lovely People
Nice culture, seem like they really care about individuals happiness.
-Good management,

- Friendly Environment

- Good IT Systems in place

- Relaxed wokplace
Great opportunity
Excellent work opportunity, great people. I worked only a few shifts as I was doing my MSc and it was worth getting involved. I would recommend this position to everyone interested in something like this.
Excellent Employer
Introduction of new technology and a new culture of work has improved the work/life balance immensely.
Part of a team providing administrative support to senior teams involved in the day-to-day running of a federal university.

A great deal of flexibility is now on offer and staff can work with a greater degree of freedom as long as targets and deadlines are met.

We are now assessed on productivity and not on time spent in the office/at a desk.

Hot desking can be quite difficult to get used to and the open plan nature of the work environment, but this opens up more possibility for working from home and from other locations.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Hot desking, but alternative spaces and home working possible
Debatable based on roles
Whilst I was there, there wasn't really a good job structure. You could get away with doing anything. It made me feel really bored a lot of the times which I did not like
Pros
Free fruit
ambiente lavorativo stimolante a imparare ogni giorno
un'agenzia con cui tutti dovrebbero lavorare almeno una voltà,massima professionalità e disponibilità sempre
The location of this university is excellent. Old style building gives the place character. Great staff to work with and you can progress to new opportunities or career.
interesting and exciting.
here i have learnt a lot. i have learnt how to be an individual and also work in a team with people i have never socialised with before, this took a lot of confidence
Pros
lunch break
A short term role
Having been ‘headhunted’ by the centre, I was only employed with them for a short time before a new Director was appointed who restructured the team
However within my time I was able to use and improve the experience I had already leant within the Education sector.

Whilst some events were away from home and evening based, there was a general good work/life balance
Pros
Gaining further knowledge and experience
Cons
A short term role
it has a strong safety culture
The work hours are flexible and many people work from home one day a week.
Strong safety at work culture is very good.

People are friendly but management can be autocratic.
Pros
Good final salary pension
Cons
management can be over bearing
Good team work
Training was provided for the data base which was used for the University.

Team was very supportive and always there to advice and help.

Good communication within all the departments.

Friendly and easy to communicate with.

Any problems the manager was always around to guide.

Great atmosphere everyday.

Always very happy to wake up and travel to London. Great building to work in, sometimes we had films shooting at the University, great to watch on our lunch break.
Pros
Flexabilty
poor working environment
management are a joke. staff treated like 2nd class citizens. any complains are brushed under the carpet unless its coming from management , to much politics and poor policys
Pros
holidays
Cons
everything else
Productive and fun
Typical day at work included processing of vendor information sheets and advising on contracts. Sometimes it also included assistance to other departments of the office, such as payables and finance. Overall amazing experience, met a lot of nice people, always willing to help you whenever you have problems.
Ad hoc
Random ad hoc jobs. Is easy money. you are working in your university so you know the place well and you are talking about something you do on a daily basis.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Only every few months.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of London. Our community is ready to answer.
University of London Reviews by Location