University of Leicester Employee Reviews

professional work place
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  lab 11521 December 2017
a typical place for start my carrier, work with educated and professional people was very nice occasion, the job is very good allocated, every thing was described in very clear way,
Pros
enough break time
Cons
low rate of hours and delay in sending the money
Health and Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Leicester18 December 2017
Good organisation to be part of, forward thinking. A future proofing culture embracing new technologies to deliver compliance. Highly recommend to future job seekers.
over worked under paid having to working 20+ hours a week overtime just to survive
Porter (Current Employee) –  Leicestershire11 December 2017
the job itself isn't to bad but the wages are awful considering what other local universities pay there staff, I hardly see my wife or kids due to how much overtime I have to work just to survive day to day
Pros
n/a
Cons
long hours, 3 shift patterns, comunication doesnt exsist, dumping more and more work on us
Positive and secure
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicester24 October 2017
I liked working for the University. I also work with staff that used to work at the Highcross Leicester. The university is a very varied role and every day is a different one.
Pros
varied role
Really enjoyed working here
Computing Technician (Former Employee) –  Leicester15 October 2017
Working here is fantastic. The range of projects available to work on is huge and changes constantly as research progresses and students change from year to year.
Pros
Fun and varied
Cons
Poor compensation for work required
It's a job, nothing more!
Principal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire6 October 2017
Very little effort is put into staff wellbeing, development and retention. The salaries are pretty good but management are very disconnected from the realities of academia and grass roots administrators.
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Leicester12 September 2017
Lots of training, really engaged staff always there to help, great location and venue types, lots of things to get involved with and good for experience
okaiesh
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire3 August 2017
not full time work so not very good in that respect but okay to work for management is miss matched other than that its good if you only want partime work
A good and supporting place to work.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester31 July 2017
As a Graduate Teaching Assistant, during the semester my day would be split between my PhD work and my work with undergraduates. For the former, my supervisor was always supportive, and critically, honest, which led to my choice to resign from my PhD when the project was not working out.

In my capacity as a GTA, my timetable and expectations were clearly laid out, and when I needed anything, the admin team was heappy to provide and efficient. In delivering feedback, I was clear and open.

The department is a very good employer, and although a PhD is not a trivial task, if I had the opportunity to work on one again with the department and a better suited project, I would happily do so.
Nice
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Leicester24 July 2017
A very nice and disciplined institution. A very friendly and well facilitated place to work. Overall experience was nice I learnt different new techniques and improved my previous skills.
Very enjoyable
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Leicester17 July 2017
I had a great time at Leicester. It was a very relaxed environment with a good work ethic.

Very inclusive department where everyone was friendly and helpful.
Interesting and informative.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester6 July 2017
Having done work experience in the university of Leicester. I thought it was a pleasure and i felt very welcome there.Everyone there was friendly and took the time to explain what they were doing.I learned a lot about proteins and the specific conditions they should be kept in.I found that the laboratory technician who i worked alongside was a huge inspiration and working in that department really helped me to conclude what field of science i want to go into.
Great opportunity
Intern (Former Employee) –  Leicester26 June 2017
Internship offered with academic. Very different to any experience I have had before. Good insight into independent research and how research works beyond degree level.
Library
Shelving assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire22 March 2017
I really enjoy the variety of work and the opportunity to work with the students. We have a really great friendly team who work hard together to achieve goals.
Pros
Inspiring environment
Cons
Fixed shifts
Flexible and Enjoyable
Student Union Waitress, Barrister & Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, UK17 February 2017
Working at the University of Leicester is enjoyable due to the flexibility that it allows. This is obviously important due to my degree requiring my full attention, but being able to work alongside my degree is advantageous in many ways. It allows the improvement of many key skill sets as well as giving experience for future job work. The staff team are enjoyable to work with, and are eager to help with any problems that may occur - great team players.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
Not enough work hours available
team working place
Part-time Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester15 February 2017
In my role as a catering assistant, I developed my skills and experience in numerous ways. While I already had strong communication and team working skills, I did not have experience working in such a fast paced environment. The role provided me with quick thinking skills; I was required to make decisions quite quickly and handled a variety of issues that occurred during shifts. Therefore, I learned a great deal about handing customers.
Stable steady employment
Researcher Development Internship (Current Employee) –  Leicester, UK9 February 2017
Working at the University offers excellent benefits and a fantastic worklife balance. This however is counterbalanced by a management structure which is not fantastic and a poor record of promoting internally.
Productive workplace
PhD Research Student (Current Employee) –  Leicester20 January 2017
Excellent environment for career development and expanding experience. It is a very friendly workplace. The type of work is stressful sometimes, but I like it so much
Fun and educational working environment
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire18 January 2017
Catering assistant with the University of Leicester hospitality services. Worked as part of a group delivering exceptional service to customers of all kind. Developed excellent customer service skills, problem management, and communication skills.
Overall a great environment to work and develop in
Librarian Staff (Former Employee) –  Leicester6 January 2017
Good balance between study and work as well as social life. Management are very helpful and supportive with whatever needs you may have, friendly environment, learned a lot of new skills and improved my current skills.
Pros
Free lunch, good breaks, calm environment, stress free
Cons
none - cant think of any