University of Leeds

University of Leeds Employee Reviews

United Kingdom178 reviews
Productive and codial
The training was fun and coherent. The work environment was good and they provided us with ample support . Overall it was a very useful and skill enhancing job.
committee member
comittee member for 2 societies
teddy bear hospital and psyched

very much enjoy

leeds is a great place

university is well supported

good to organise events
Great University and Physics department
The University, Physics department and staff are great. It's a leading world class University and Physics department. My only criticism is that the IT services are exceptionally slow and restrictive. Leeds is also a great city to live and work in.

Unfortunately, there is no job security on fixed contract post-doc work (but that's the same at every University). Although, I feel lucky to have done my post-doc work within the University of Leeds Physics department.
good place to be lots of thing happening
really enjoyable, good group of people to work with, UoL wad open to new ideas and engaging. The IT environment is going through a big cultural and environmental change which will be a benefit in years to come
It’s a great place to work. I have the freedom to work autonomously and run my team in the way I feel is most appropriate to meet our objectives. The University is large with over 8000 people working there but it is still possible to build good working relationships with colleagues.
Fun workplace
Good but not really flexible. The pace is very slow. There is too much governance so it is hard for a project to get traction. The most enjoyable part of working at the university is the fun environment.
Great place to be a PhD Student
I did a PhD n Geophysics in the School of Earth and Environment. It is amazing how much interesting work is going on here. Given the size of the school, if you ever need to know anything, there is probably someone who can help you!
Ideal para estagiar e ganhar experiência profissional
Ideal para estagiar e ganhar experiência profissional na área da docência
Great
Always had reliable and engaging managers. Pay is really decent and hours flexible around uni if you’re studying - unlike the union, the uni prioritise your happiness and education over their demand for staff. Because of this there are lots of staff available so it can be harder to get a lot of hours work with them so better as a side job than something you rely on for rent etc
fun
i went to university here and had to get several jobs order to pay my rent. it was quite competitive as it is a big university with lots of students. i did have fun meeting people and all of my employers were relaxed.
Overall an interesting place to develop your teaching skills
This is stressful work in academia. High level of admin tasks and very good planning skills required. Colleagues across University can provide support and mentoring.
Positive
There are various areas to work in within the university. It has a very disciplined work culture whilst taking care of the employees who work there. There are opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds to learn at all levels and gain experience.
Productive and fun workplace
My day would begin with exercise at the university gym.

I'd work with staff on students on projects with great cooperation and support.

We'd have team and institute meetings once a week which were very productive and provided a larger picture of the departments objectives.
Bureaucratic and hierarchical management
The team I work with are great and the university has a vibrant atmosphere on campus. However, there is a bureaucratic and hierarchical management that do not consider flexible or remote working.
Continuous learning
Due to the nature of my work and as a PhD student, working as a demonstrator was a fun an experience in which I also learned how to effectively teach students and mentor them
good place to work
Good place to work, friendly colleagues, enthusiastic students who are ready to work hard to make progress. Support from team leader when required. helpful
Excellent working environment and staff
- Excellent communication with colleagues and staff
- Friendly environment

- A lot of opportunities for professional growth

- High level of research

- Very good labs with a lot of facilities
Fantastic
Great place to work whilst you study at Leeds. Fun and proactive working environment with great staff. I would have stayed working on the terrace forever if I could!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short shifts
Productive and interesting invironment
Interesting and stimulating work environment, flexible work hours, lots of support from supervisor. Reasonably relaxed work with no micromanagement, trusting that work will be done.
Good place to work at
Good place to work at in Leeds. Nice campus and facilities. Studied at the university of leeds for 4 years and did an masters in bioenergy and am close to finishing a PhD
MSC Student
Recently completed a Master in Transport Planning at the University of Leeds. This has allowed me to develop need skills and learnings to complement my existing operational and account management work experience.