University of Hull Employee Reviews

Increasingly challenging
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull5 March 2018
Like most places, the work environment is changing. However, it is something they are struggling to do well with a constant cycle of restructures. This makes it currently, a difficult place to work at. However, the rates of pay are very good
Pros
Rates of pay
Cons
Constant restructuring
Flexible hours and multiple skills developed.
Casual Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull1 March 2018
Casual hours so not 100% reliable although they are able to be flexible. The hourly wage is good but the management could do with some improvement. Communication is lacking across the company as a whole.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Hours are not guarenteed.
Varied environment.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire26 February 2018
Having worked for several different departments the University offers a varied environment to work in.

In administrative roles, hours are generally known in advance and offers a generous salary. In customer service roles hours can include weekends and late nights.

Most enjoyable aspect is interacting with students and staff.

Least enjoyable is the negative culture where office politics and moaning are a daily activity.
Pros
Excellent salary, hours given in advance.
Cons
Lack of organisation, negative culture in some areas.
Meet lots of people
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull29 December 2017
Every department is different lots of people on site no real travelling involved staff are really nice people, can be a job for life with a pension and full sickness pay.
Pros
great staff
Cons
poor pregression
fun and productive
university ambassador (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom, Hull23 November 2017
Employment skills enhancement, professional duties, fun environment, productive outcomes, meeting good challenges, work experience growth, meeting new people in the field.
A place to learn and grow
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull7 September 2017
You barely realised you were working. A typical day consisted of liaising with other staff to create a better student experience which was purposeful. Offers the opportunity to have an influence on the services the University offers by listening to your views and ideas.
Everyone in the workplace cares about the client's needs and future. The hardest part of the job was accepting that you were unable to fulfil all of your ideas. The most enjoyable part was seeing your projects become a success.
Pros
Networking opportunities
Cons
Not enough hours available
PA and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire24 August 2017
Great place to work.

Friendly and supportive team and managers

Good benefits and pay

Being involved in making the student experience positive

Career development
Nice research group in geography and geology
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire11 August 2017
Very good research work experience here
In the last four years, I have learnt how to cooperate with the lab experiment and field survey, how to analyse the a large mount of data set and also learn how to write a scientific thesis
Productive work place
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull26 July 2017
Throughout the year I learned and gained experience with several different techniques for office management and good team work practices.
Additionally I was able to learned how to communicate better with my other team members.
Pros
Reasonable managers
Cons
Bad work mates
Brillient
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire6 July 2017
This is an amazing place to work and study. I studied here for 3 years and came away with a first class degree. I worked as a student caller which was great. Lots of career progression, flexible hours and the role works around you.
Residant Assistant - Student Accomodation
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cottingham11 June 2017
It is a very rewarding job role however it can be a difficult one.

This is a live on site job role and you are often needed when you are not actually on duty.
Pros
Free evening meal, Reduced Accomodation Fee
Cons
Lack of organisation of job role
Fairly easy going workplace (at Scarborough Campus).
Desktop and Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire6 June 2017
Despite the easy going nature of many departments, there is very little opportunity for progression. Management quite content to sit back and allow staff to take on more and more work, with little, or no reward. Very much like I imagine working in the 1960s would have been like. Not impressed and hoping to avoid ever working in Academia/Education ever again!
Pros
Local staff at Scarborough have been fairly friendly
Cons
Attitude to staff too dependent on grade rather than role, I would have preferred the promotion of a 'Can Do' culture amongst the IT user population
Fun place to do degree
Student (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire23 May 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my time as an undergraduate here. It enabled me to broaden as a person, and discover both my strengths and my weaknesses. I am currently thinking about doing a masters here.
Not my favourite place of work....
Lecturer in Law (Former Employee) –  Hull Law School5 January 2017
Hardest part of the job was working with people who were more concerned with promotion and putting others down than doing the job, joining cliques and forgetting what they were supposed to be there for!
The most enjoyable part was working closely with students.
What I learned is that if I had my time again, I would not work there nor become an academic.
Pros
None, really, apart from the decent pay.
Cons
Long hours, not appreciated, culture of stress and harrassment
Excellent
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Scarborough23 August 2016
A great place to work, all the staff and management are really friendly and it is a nice working atmosphere. Would recommend to everyone.
Good chance to experience work
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Several locations22 August 2016
I worked selling tickets for concerts and fed back registers to the Music faculty office.
When leading the team, I had to organise a term rota and make sure on the day the team knew what to do; front of house work.
The office staff were friendly and helpful and co-workers were limited but useful.
I enjoyed getting to be a part of the concert management and getting to watch a variety of music performances.
The hardest part of the work was getting volunteers to turn up.
The job is now run in a different manner with first years being required to run front of house; I was a part of the team before the change.
Pros
Free music concerts
Cons
Voluntary
Great Experience
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Psychology Department3 August 2016
Working while studying at the University of Hull was very easily done, working as a student ambassador did not encroach on my studies.
The student ambassador scheme was well managed and efficiently organised, communication from management to ambassadors was constant and precise. Everyone always knew what their role was.
Pros
Salary support whilst at university
Well managed
Peer Assisted Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull18 July 2016
I have been studying at this university of over 2 years; so far I have discovered alot of things an d learned and gained various skills and knowledge regarding my course and in my social life.
Pros
Well facilitated
Cons
Less module choice
Great place!
Student Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull21 May 2016
It's a great place to work with the management, quality of people, organisation and management is superb makes it easier for an employee.
Pros
Supportive environment
Researcher
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Hull15 January 2016
Academic position. The position did not required a fixed work schedule. Co-workers were good. Too much red tape. Overall I enjoyed the experience.