UNIVERSITY OF HUDDERSFIELD Employee Reviews

Decent
Student Staff (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire14 June 2018
Good pay, pretty simple work, some will take advantage and expect you to do more than in your job description, work longer hours, no break etc. Management are firm, but fair, most of the staff are really nice to work with
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield9 June 2018
Work as a early morning cleaner the university itself is beautiful and the staff are friendly and helpful management is great and I never had a bad experience with them
Pros
The employee benefits
Cons
Early mornings
A good place to study
Equality & Diversity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield3 June 2018
This was a good place to study with excellent teachers and good choice of courses. The study and social life balance was also good with a wide variety of things to do.
good perks, otherwise sub-standard employer
IT 1st Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield3 May 2018
As an employer, Huddersfield Uni offers a lot of staff perks and a very good salary for the jobs provided. Unfortunately, they fail on just about every other aspect. The organisational structures are way too top-heavy, leaving not many people to do an awful lot of work, and there's a lot of micro-management that occurs as a result.

Communication has always been a major issue, and the general culture of the workers there is that, because everybody can be held accountable for their actions, that it's often better to not get involved in someone else's business, regardless of if you can help.

Would only recommend someone begins working there if they're close to retirement and can thus afford to shrug off the huge levels of crippling bureaucracy and deal with the stress that comes from working there.
Pros
good salary
Cons
managerial attitudes
Labour of Love
STUDENT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire11 April 2018
The pedagogical training provided by The University of Huddersfield is world class.

Practically however, working as a teacher is very much a rude awakening; a stark labour of love and remuneration falls way short of fairness. As a startup teacher you have to sacrifice YOUR ENTIRE LIFE 24/7 for at least two years.

If you can survive the first couple of years with around 4 hours sleep for 365 days a year, then maybe you can stomach teaching as a profession.

Oh yes, add to this a Rhino skin and a saintly patience because both will be acutley challenged.

If you haven't yet hit the delete button then the warm heart you yearn for through inspiring young minds may just be starting to show itself. Good luck because teaching is not for the squeemish.
Pros
Career stability and Progression. Stimulating and Ethically Pleasing
Cons
Takes over your life and tests your resolve and patience to the full.
Best management
Events Assistant, Schools and colleges liaison (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield10 January 2018
In every department I have worked for at the University of Huddersfield, the staff have been excellent, great at managing people and making the place a fun and enjoyable place to work.
Pros
The people, Flexibility and Free lunch
Cons
Flexible and fun work environment
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire4 January 2018
Work fits around studies; you don't have to accept jobs if they do not fit in with your timetable, or if you have too much work. You can only undertake 15 hours per week so it will never detract from your studies. Excellent variety of jobs and a good way to meet new people and share your passion.
Pros
Very reasonable pay with holiday pay accrued
Cons
Early morning starts
Typical working day
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield21 November 2017
As an administrator, I am the first point of contact for students and deal with their queries on a daily basis.

In the time I have worked there, I have also managed to streamline various things which enables me to provide quick and easy information for the Course Leader and other members of the team.

My day to day roles include:

Dealing with Attendance monitoring.
Responding to emails from students, staff and external agencies.
Answering phone queries and general enquiries from staff and other students visiting the office.
Providing a variety of admin support for academic staff.
Pros
favourable salary / excellent holiday package / flexibility
Cons
lack of variety in job role - limited progression
Student Ambassador at the University of Huddersfield
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield1 November 2017
I used to work in the University of Huddersfield as a Student Ambassador during my studies. I really enjoy this opportunity with good salary that University provide me. Also I was working at the Open Days only in a really friendly environment.
Enjoyable and encouraging work environment
Music, Humanities and Media Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire8 October 2017
I feel able to work to the best of my ability, and appreciate the freedom given to use my passion for the facilities to present the University to prospective students. Practicalities are easy to arrange, and everything is well explained and catered to what individuals can manage.
Pros
Flexible hours
great place to work
Market Researcher (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire24 September 2017
Good ethic
Amazong people and personal development
Flexi timings which is very hard to find elsewhere
30 days annual leave and lots of overtime
Très bonne université
Stagiaire (Former Employee) –  West Yorkshire14 September 2017
Stage assez intéressant avec l'un des professeurs d'informatique de l'université.
Pros
Ressources de l'université
Cons
Assez vide en période de vacances scolaire
Fun workplace
Course Representative (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire23 July 2017
It was a great place to work at. I learned and improved many skills working as course representative such as communication, group and leadership skills.
amazing
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, UK31 May 2017
fun place to work, and get to know many students and staff, good opportunity to get involved and see new exciting changes be made around the university
Great Place
STUDENT (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire9 May 2017
I am a student here and not employed by them. It is a great place to study however and the staff are always helpful, in my humble opinion the greatest university in England.
A good place to work
Senior Lecturer/Head of Year (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield4 March 2017
Like all organisations, the University of Huddersfield is no different. I love my job, I just wish that their were opportunities for advancement. Nice class rooms, and the technology is constantly reviewed and updated where necessary. I work with some fantastic people, who are both intelligent and willing to offer guidance. The university has gone through a large amount of change recently, some would argue that it is too much too soon, but it was necessary change to bring the university to where it is today striving to become the best, if not already.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Little recognition for work done and long hours put in by some members of staff.
Good work-life balance
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire31 January 2017
Lovely place to work at. Flexible with hours. its around studies. Ideal for students. Helps in developing communication and confidence.
Work load is season dependant
Placement Chemistry Store Technician (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire31 December 2016
Staff are very friendly and helpful from my experience, workload can very a fair bit. During term time its a fairly busy environment getting teaching materials ready but during the summer it becomes a very steady work environment.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Expected to work over time without being asked if you're able to do it.
student teaching assistant
Student Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield26 November 2016
i was helping students in studies and other activity such as mechanical workshop problems. i was teaching students who has problems in projects and assignments.
Great
Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield28 October 2016
great place to work, allows you to organise and manage events and be involved in the planning side of things as well as being the host of the practical.