UNIVERSITY OF HUDDERSFIELD Employee Reviews

Bully Culture
Administrator/Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Queensgate, Huddersfield27 December 2018
There is a deeply engrained bullying culture at the university which permeates down from the top level of management. People I've spoken to say it has always been that way.

If you're good at your job they just lay more and more and more onto you. This is unless you're one of the marked "favourites" when miraculously life gets better on a daily basis and/or you get moved to an unadvertised, newly-created, cushy job somewhere else in the uni. Generally you will not have a life outside of this Gulag.

There is a lot of shouting behind closed doors. I've seen several members of staff crying in the corridor.
Pros
Nice bacon sandwiches
Cons
Bullying, saps your life away
productive and great work environment
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire29 September 2018
productive and great work environment
Representative of the School of Pharmacy.
Assisted potential applicants and parents with any queries they had regarding the MPharm course.
Worked as part of a team in planning and providing guided tours of the university.
Very good place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire23 August 2018
Good terms and conditions for staff - the business has changed significantly with funding changes. It is more like a business now not like a place of education?
Pros
Excellent working conditions
Cons
Need to have PhD - not necessary for some posts
good perks, otherwise sub-standard employer
IT 1st Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield3 May 2018
As an employer, Huddersfield Uni offers a lot of staff perks and a very good salary for the jobs provided. Unfortunately, they fail on just about every other aspect. The organisational structures are way too top-heavy, leaving not many people to do an awful lot of work, and there's a lot of micro-management that occurs as a result.

Communication has always been a major issue, and the general culture of the workers there is that, because everybody can be held accountable for their actions, that it's often better to not get involved in someone else's business, regardless of if you can help.

Would only recommend someone begins working there if they're close to retirement and can thus afford to shrug off the huge levels of crippling bureaucracy and deal with the stress that comes from working there.
Pros
good salary
Cons
managerial attitudes
Labour of Love
STUDENT TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire11 April 2018
The pedagogical training provided by The University of Huddersfield is world class.

Practically however, working as a teacher is very much a rude awakening; a stark labour of love and remuneration falls way short of fairness. As a startup teacher you have to sacrifice YOUR ENTIRE LIFE 24/7 for at least two years.

If you can survive the first couple of years with around 4 hours sleep for 365 days a year, then maybe you can stomach teaching as a profession.

Oh yes, add to this a Rhino skin and a saintly patience because both will be acutley challenged.

If you haven't yet hit the delete button then the warm heart you yearn for through inspiring young minds may just be starting to show itself. Good luck because teaching is not for the squeemish.
Pros
Career stability and Progression. Stimulating and Ethically Pleasing
Cons
Takes over your life and tests your resolve and patience to the full.
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield9 June 2018
Work as a early morning cleaner the university itself is beautiful and the staff are friendly and helpful management is great and I never had a bad experience with them
Pros
The employee benefits
Cons
Early mornings
Decent
Student Staff (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire14 June 2018
Good pay, pretty simple work, some will take advantage and expect you to do more than in your job description, work longer hours, no break etc. Management are firm, but fair, most of the staff are really nice to work with
Excellent workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire13 June 2018
I was continually supported by staff and my experience as a research assistant was wonderful. The University offers several staff benefits and has a community that is very inclusive.
A good place to study
Equality & Diversity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield3 June 2018
This was a good place to study with excellent teachers and good choice of courses. The study and social life balance was also good with a wide variety of things to do.
Flexible and fun work environment
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire4 January 2018
Work fits around studies; you don't have to accept jobs if they do not fit in with your timetable, or if you have too much work. You can only undertake 15 hours per week so it will never detract from your studies. Excellent variety of jobs and a good way to meet new people and share your passion.
Pros
Very reasonable pay with holiday pay accrued
Cons
Early morning starts
Typical working day
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield21 November 2017
As an administrator, I am the first point of contact for students and deal with their queries on a daily basis.

In the time I have worked there, I have also managed to streamline various things which enables me to provide quick and easy information for the Course Leader and other members of the team.

My day to day roles include:

Dealing with Attendance monitoring.
Responding to emails from students, staff and external agencies.
Answering phone queries and general enquiries from staff and other students visiting the office.
Providing a variety of admin support for academic staff.
Pros
favourable salary / excellent holiday package / flexibility
Cons
lack of variety in job role - limited progression
Best management
Events Assistant, Schools and colleges liaison (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield10 January 2018
In every department I have worked for at the University of Huddersfield, the staff have been excellent, great at managing people and making the place a fun and enjoyable place to work.
Pros
The people, Flexibility and Free lunch
Cons
Enjoyable and encouraging work environment
Music, Humanities and Media Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire8 October 2017
I feel able to work to the best of my ability, and appreciate the freedom given to use my passion for the facilities to present the University to prospective students. Practicalities are easy to arrange, and everything is well explained and catered to what individuals can manage.
Pros
Flexible hours
Student Ambassador at the University of Huddersfield
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield1 November 2017
I used to work in the University of Huddersfield as a Student Ambassador during my studies. I really enjoy this opportunity with good salary that University provide me. Also I was working at the Open Days only in a really friendly environment.
A good place to work
Senior Lecturer/Head of Year (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield4 March 2017
Like all organisations, the University of Huddersfield is no different. I love my job, I just wish that their were opportunities for advancement. Nice class rooms, and the technology is constantly reviewed and updated where necessary. I work with some fantastic people, who are both intelligent and willing to offer guidance. The university has gone through a large amount of change recently, some would argue that it is too much too soon, but it was necessary change to bring the university to where it is today striving to become the best, if not already.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Little recognition for work done and long hours put in by some members of staff.
Suited to your own life style and fun
Social Media Representative (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield21 July 2016
 Management of all aspects of social media – Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Snapchat, Instagram
 Photography for events the university held or externally at any public events
 Multimedia experience – Creation of YouTube videos, GIFs, interviews and audio editing
 Running an individual weekly blog – using WordPress- orientated to university life, local public interest spots and the sharing my own personal experience of first year university life
Pros
Fitted to your lifestyle
Cons
Could only do 4 hours a week
placement year for my sandwich degree
Learning Technology Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Huddersfield9 February 2016
As this job was only a placement there was little chance in the way of advancement however the trust between me and my supervisor grew meaning my responsibilities increased as I grew more comfortable in my role, my main criticism would be that I received a grant as opposed to a wage which worked out at £8000 for the year. My confidence greatly improved and overtime I delivered teaching material to lecturers attending the training sessions, I enjoyed getting involved with projects such as an augmented reality project for the library inductions and developing a website for training materials.
Productive, Educational and Fun workplace
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield24 September 2012
Working with the Catering & Hospitality team was amazing, this place was fun to work at, the staff were so lovely to work with and they always kept smiling and making sure that each customer was happy. It helped me expand my communication skills as well as time managing and team work. The hardest part of the job was probably standing up all day, but the most enjoyable part of the job was to see the smiles on the customers faces and having so much support of the management and the opportunities they were giving you to develop into a professional person.
Pros
good work area, lunch/breakfast provided
Informative and Interesting Work Placement
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, Queensgate Campus9 February 2013
I undertook a work placement with university as part of my studies and this was in connection with respected historian on battlefield mapping. I found this work placement to match exactly the kind of job that i am looking for as it used all the skills that i had learned on my degree upto that point and i learned much more too.
Pros
good team working, organised, well structured and good career planning
Cons
could have done with more contact with leadership
Humbling
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, ENG21 September 2013
Working as a cleaner is a humbling experience as it gave me the opportunity to appreciate my environment. A typical day at work is fast paced and unpredictable as you cannot ascertain the amount of rubbish to be packed. The hardest part of the job is cleaning areas where obviously people decided to be dirty and disrespect the environment by littering the trash all over instead of using the bin. It's enjoyable though because seeing dirty areas sparkle again is mind warming and a joyous experience.
Pros
Appreciating nature
Cons
Sometimes a messy job