University of Hertfordshire

University of Hertfordshire Employee Reviews

United Kingdom101 reviews
I worked as a volunteer in the students society and the work was very flexible. i worked as a part of a team where we discussed and planned events and each person was given a job which was done with full dedication. It has also made me more confident in communicating with others and being able to attend to their concerns. My helpful team mates made my work more enjoyable.
Pros
Gaining new skills
Cons
Minor disagreements or disputes among people
Very few postdoctoral research posts: the university doesn't know how to manage such posts. No real capacity to foster postdoctoral development.

Well organised, keen and energetic research office badly let down by the extensive focus on grabbing the cash of undergraduate students, including maximum fee-paying overseas students.
whilst you are an ambassador you feel like you helped people out which I in joy doing, you get to lots of different events around the uni they are all good.
The university is a nice place to work and you meet people from all walks of life. As a security officer you are under valued and under paid and a lot is expected of you outside of your specific job role with no extra benefits.
It is very rewarding to be part of a team that can help fellow students develop in the learning and path to becoming successful Pharmacist!
I only work on a when required basis so when the teaching team need assistance I am called in.
This is the worst place I have ever work for .I am not sure they know what they are doing. The place is full of doctors with PHD, s but they are old hat some of the staff have never worked out in industry but seem to teach it .
I would not send a kid of mine to this university to study Engineering as I am not sure what they are doing.

The equipment is as old as the Ark.

Ark
Working with colleagues at the University from UK and partners in Malaysia to ensure effective implementation of the University’s new international strategy in South East Asia. My role will be based in Malaysia and primarily to conduct outreach activity in schools and colleges across Malaysia and Singapore with the aim of promoting the University of Hertfordshire programmes to prospective students.
Poor staff management and lack of organisation.Long hours with odd break system. Can not leave campus when working 3pm 1 8:30am next morning. Rude supervisors.
I managed to learn various amounts of skills and worked with various amounts people, the workplace culture was excellent as i managed to work with different people fro different backgrounds and with different experiences.
I worked here throughout my studies and I thoroughly enjoyed it! They were very accommodating with my study needs. The staff were friendly and helpful and sufficient training was provided.
Days at the uni varied, I learnt a lot about publishing and what it takes to run a large library. Management was friendly and understanding, and the workplace culture was welcoming and relaxed. The hardest part of the job was personally my own ability to remember all the new information that I was given but thankfully all the staff were happy to help and answer any questions I had.
Good for skill building and for further career paths in Outreach and Science Communication. Great team and a lot of exciting experiences. You can develop your public speaking and physics/astronomy knowledge
Working for the University of Hertfordshire as a Student Ambassador was great as a part time job that can be used to fit around plans and day to day life.
Typically Busy day
Engagement with students

Time management

A fantastic multicultural place

The hardest part: Outcomes come different to plan

Completed task.
When your job is to talk about sonething yiure passionate about, it's hard to go wrong.
The staff in the school of creative arts are all amazingly down to earth, friendly and understanding. It's a really fun place to work and you make lots of friends as you work with lots of different people but also tend to see a lot of the same faces.
Pros
Doing something you enjoy, making new friends all the time.
Cons
Long wait for pay, Irregular hours (bank)
typically I would advise students that are interested in studying abroad and talk about their options as well as the process and help them as much as I can.

The culture was quite relaxed for the position I held as I was still studying at the time.
Pros
flexible work times
Cons
Good place to study with highly motivated other PhD students.
It was a good place to work hard and to do some research. Socialising depends on what time of person you are, if you are happy to talk to people they are happy to talk to you too. The people seemed nice.
It is the perfect work experience that you can get if you stick around for the summer. You get to be independent and learn equipment, techniques and meet interesting people. It is also founded which gives you an extra motive to take part.
I was taught leadership skills in this role as well as learnt how to communicate with people better. My role was to hear the students reviews or complaints about a certain service or aspect of their experience in the university and report it to the relevant staff members. The workplace culture was flexible and relaxing and enjoyable. The most enjoyable part of the job is the reward i got when helping other people.
Pros
sense of community
Cons
no cons
Working as a student ambassador was one of the most terrible experience in my life. I never got payed on time and sometimes I never got payed at all due to HR fault! The organization of ambassadors sometimes was very bad. I would strongly suggest to look for any other possible part time opportunity in Hatfield where you will be treated with care and get well- deserved money.
Pros
work as much as you want
Cons
constant payment issues and lack of organisation