University of Greenwich

University of Greenwich Employee Reviews

United Kingdom102 reviews
An extremely responsible position,
Involved working with the public visits, providing help and assistance to students, including on site residencies. Being the out of hours representative for the University of Greenwich with delegated authority to make decisions.
Fun work experience
Very friendly people and work environment, good management and opportunities for developing work ethics and skills, great pay but vary low hours which is not great.
little support to career progression
The university has the potential to be a great working environment. At present this is yet to be realised. More support could be offered to early career researchers and more generally for those seeking career progression.
Lack of career progression
Mixed culture of very ambitious and the very 'sloth' like. Quite a cliquey place to work and very little chance of progression if management feels you'd be hard to replace in your current job.
Insightful placement year
Worked for a year on placement in the University of Greenwich Marketing team where I completed presentations, planned competitions, co-operated with other teams to deliver effectively on the Open Days and Taster Days and promoted the university to roughly 6000 international students for next academic year for Business School through: email marketing, SMS messages, and targeted Facebook Ads.
buffer job...
This is a large university therefore I can only talk about the experience in my faculty/department. Engagement of colleagues varies widely with more weight towards providing a good experience to students. Actually, everything is very much about maximising the student experience, frequently in detriment of the staff. With exceptions, students are neither the most engaged nor the most brilliant which makes teaching very much frustrating in comparison to top-tier universities.

Staff is generally left behind... no intellectual support, no extra benefits, poor salary (relatively to other London-based universities), no intellectual challenges. Research-oriented staff does not get benefits and frequently more junior colleagues without a strong research track-record get promoted and get scholarships for their phd students...

There is generally no collegiality or collaborative environment, and definitely no minimum politeness, if you ever get responses to inquiries from most colleagues. Of course there are some excellent staff who are exceptions. To be fair, it can be a good working place if one likes to focus on teaching and does not care about poor pay or exciting job. About 90% of colleagues said they want to resign as soon as possible. Though most stay anyways (everyone has its own reasons...), I've seen many excellent people leaving during the few years I've worked there.

The values of the university became clear once I decided to resign. I got completely ignored by the management and admin colleagues, and everything became difficult to finalise. Luckily, some friendly
 - more...
Excellent summer job
Working at the university was very a enjoyable as I could take on the role for customer service and learn new skills and a new like for helping customers. It is also helped me gain more confidence being able to work here as I was treated very well by all staff and made many new friends with the colleagues working there. It was only a temporary summer job but I thought it was amazing!
Lots of roles were available. Management were ok but hard to get hold of sometimes.
Travel wasn't always easy, often had to use own transport.

Didn't like the uniform, wasn't comfortable.
Fun Enviroment
Collecting information from other peers about what can be improved to increase student satisfaction then our reporting findings in fortnightly meetings.
Flexible hours and decent pay
Pros
-Flexible hours across the year

-Variety of roles from open days to office work

Cons

-Disorganisation of the management

-Working beyond the designated hours is sometimes forces
Excellent institution
It was an easy process and everyone was really nice. Got my feedback within a day of the interview and I was seen by more than one person. The interview was both theory and practical questions
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
The contract was too short
I always had people to support or properly explain what shall I do, job was really great, I did loved what I have done there. One day I am working as receptionist, next time I am assisting the lecturer and helping students with modelling software, and another day I might do something else...
Pros
Good wage based on work load
Cons
Not full time
Unstable
An unstable workplace may change in the academic staff. Closed-door policies nor involvment of the staff. It feels like a college. It lost most of the research-active academics.
Flexible and fun workplace
Typical day at work would include representing the University of Greenwich during Open days and HE Fairs. Great training opportunities and a fund environment.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
at times a bit disorganised
Qwerty
Good pay, good spread of work which is useful to get every task completed in time
Very fun to work
Good place to work and a bonus that you can choose working hours to accommodate your studies, meeting new people and great chance to expand professional network
Pros
Free lunch, chance to expand your professional network
Cons
0 hours contract
Ok
I studied a 4 year sandwich degree. This involved 3 years of classes and a year out in industry. The final year required students to produce a final year report.
Everyone was professional and caring
I only did a three months internship but learned so much from my colleagues and managers. They were really helpful and fun. Opportunities for improvement through training.
Pros
Really helpful
Cons
Not too much halal food options for muslims near the university
3 month internship review
I worked at the University of Greenwich as part of a three month internship as a Second Line IT Support officer, after my graduation. The experience was very good, I gained a lot of experience and I did enjoy myself working there but I was left feeling underwhelmed because throughout the internship my line manager said that our group was the best intern groups he had but there was no job at the end of it.

My Line Manager said that they couldn't keep us on financially and our last month pay was delayed by a few months.
Pros
Shadowing, great experience
relaxed, handy role
This role entailed assisting with open days at the University of Greenwich. I had to answer applicants to the university's questions regarding student life and the history module, help supervise group activities, and lead guided tours of the magnificent campus.
Generally, the job was hugely enjoyable, but the lack of opportunities to work hindered the role's usefulness, despite the generous wage.

Unfortunately, once the short period when open days occurred had finished, the University cut the contract with no feedback, reason, or opportunity to continue this role in other circumstances.
Excellent part-time job for students
I would recommend this job to any student at Greenwich. It's fun, varied, and you pick your own hours- and it's great to add to a CV! It is not a weekly job, however- I get about 10 hours work a month at most.
Pros
Fun and exciting
Cons
Few hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Greenwich. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4