University of Glasgow

University of Glasgow Employee Reviews

United Kingdom91 reviews
Great people would highly recommended to work, diverse people.
Hr system needs improvement It system works great.

Staff have limited health benefits.
There was a lot to learn having never worked in a university before as there are a lot of niche terms and jargon to understand, however once you learn it you find yourself using it constantly!

There were some good people with innovative ideas who were trying to make changes to processes however unfortunately there was resistance to change from others from all areas not just within recruitment.

University of Glasgow is a beautiful place and so are the surroundings in the west end of Glasgow.
Pros
Good colleagues, lovely buildings
Cons
Very rigid 9-5 culture compared to more flexi approach in other organisations
El trabajo allí se hizo muy ameno, ya que, la política de trabajo no resulta asfixiante para el trabajador. El comportamiento y trato entre compañeros es muy abierto y amable.
I worked with a really caring team lead who explained the ropes to myself and my colleagues and who was really flexible. He didn't shout at people but kindly explained what needed to be done.
Everyone knew what they had to do and worked diligently to get it done. Nice relaxed atmosphere when the work was done as well. Lots of support for the staff.
Highly recommend, I started as a temp through a recruitment agency and secured a permanent post within 1 year. Good pay, great work life balance, supportive managers and excellent benefits.
I have conducted my phd in chemistry at the university of glasgow. It depends largely on the management style of your phd supervisor, but working hours can be quite flexible and you can conduct your own research freely.
Working alongside university of glasgow to make student's life easier was definetly good, they were very responsive to all the complaints and they still are.
Despite a university policy to no longer employ staff on fixed term contracts the university continues to do so, provides little support for such staff and disposes of them when convenient. In my last year I was not even invited to discuss my upcoming redundancy with my line manager and was invited to supply a letter of resignation (which I refused) as "HR needed it", even though I was made redundant. I'm not sure if this was some sort of attempt to swindle me out of my statutory redundancy pay but I wouldn't put it past them. I was made completely unappreciated for all my hard work. For example, all permanent staff leaving the department would receive a card signed by everyone else wishing them all the best in the future. They didn't bother to do this for any of the temporary staff.
Had the potential to be a great job, but the culture allows too many people to do almost no work for years on end. The hardest part of the job is having to perform work that's been left or done inadequately by others.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting a lot of people and not being stuck in the office all day, at least as an IT technician this is the case.

Management that are in jobs either due to being the beneficiaries of discrimination or just automatically kept on because of time they've served. Yearly performance assessments being falsified to keep useless workers in place.

I worked in IT. I left on voluntary redundancy that was designed to get rid of useless high earners. The trouble is, there were many lower paid workers who left, simply because they had had enough of other staff stealing a salary and them being overloaded with work as a result. The majority of the most talented staff I worked with left. A real shame. This must be costing the university a fortune in wasted salaries.
Pros
Good pension scheme
Cons
Terrible management, too much skiving.
Environnement de travail agréable. Beaucoup d’opportunités d'apprendre
Could be a really good place to work of they done an evaluation on some management. They dont treat their Administration workers very well, been 11 different staff in school office in 2 years.
Excellent workplace atmosphere amid the high pressure expectations placed upon the workers by themselves and their respective supervisors. Plenty of career development oppurtunities.
Pros
High achieving, great potential for career development
Cons
Long hours, moderate/low pay at levels below post doctorate jobs
One day employment as student guide for future students
Staff were friendly and worked effectively together

Worked as part of a small team to disseminate information to members of the public
The University of Glasgow was a good place to work, the only downside was job security. The position that I held had 6 month roling contracts before coming to an end
As a student, I have gain so much knowledges from my lecturers. They have so much experiences and are able to make me understand the subjects.
Overall, I had a super time at the university.
Been there for 3 years now and have not had any problems with co worker's or management.
If there are any problems with my work there is co workers or management on hand to help me out
Pros
Easy going place to wotk.
Cons
No cons there
Vwry nice professor that teach you a lot. You learn a lot of things there.
I will do it again without any doubts. I am from spain. Madrid but this place is amazing.
I haven't officially started working yet but have undergone a training program and interacted with the researchers I will be working with. I am looking forward to this research project.
Being a student ambassador at Glasgow University was a great way to make some extra money while showing around prospective students and representing the uni at formal functions.
I loved the everyday innovation and research, and the workplace culture.

i got to meet loads of international people with varying ideas and philosophical approach to satellite systems.

It was a very memorable experience that helped me grow as a person and a professional
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Glasgow. Our community is ready to answer.
University of Glasgow Reviews by Location