University of Glasgow Employee Reviews

Not for everybody
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow22 June 2018
The University of Glasgow offers a select few opportunities to become self-actualized researchers, but most of the PhD students are basically lab technicians who are willing to work above and beyond contract hours and don't demand pesky things like childcare, or dental plans, or pension funds.

Due to the University's reputation positions here are highly competitive, this has resulted in a less than ideal cultural environment. Sometimes it seems that employees see themselves less like members of a team, but more like lobsters in a bucket.

I am sure that the issues I saw when I was based there were no more that symptoms of the seemingly neverending austerity measures putting a stranglehold on innovation in the UK.

Come here. Take it as a valuable learning experience. Ensure that you have an exit strategy featuring myriad contingency plans.
Pros
Some of the best and brightest minds meet to exchange Ideas
Cons
Publish or Perish, or maybe even Publish and Perish.
Absolutely wonderful
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Glasgow19 May 2018
The work environment was extremely pleasant and welcoming. Received frequent encouragement, guidance and understanding. Organisation was perfect. Working hours were suitable for students which was a big benefit.
Great Uni to work for
Social Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 May 2018
Fast growth in social and digital media. Industry leading as well. They work with a lot of other Unis in helping them to better understand social for higher education.
Good Place to work
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow19 April 2018
Very good work/life balance and good quality of life Management were supportive and flexible. People were friendly and easy to integrate into the workplace.
productive
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Glasgow18 April 2018
working in the morning till 4 or 5 pm doing my general duties as administrator, helping students get work done with tutors or extending there essays deadlines .

the people in the office where really lovely , supportive and caring people.

never been there a difficult time with them or during the job .

I have enjoyed helping students knowing that I can make a difference with putting effort in something the results show
Pros
free tea and coffee
Cons
hours were flexiably
Productive and High learning area
Unemployed (Former Employee) –  Glasgow12 March 2018
The hardest part of the job is early start management staff were very helpful at escorting me through tasks and i learned many valuable skills I could take into school subjects.
Pros
Lots of facilities
Cons
Long graft hours
Management make up own rules
Sport Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenston building25 February 2018
**** DO NOT APPLY HERE****

Management make up their own rules (policies and procedures).

Discrimination and bullying was swept under carpet by not only the mangement within Sport but also the higher management dont listen within the University.

Cut backs on childcare vouchers (you don't get any) and currently striking about the pension scheme.
Good Organisation
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Healthy Working Lives Group10 February 2018
Busy and interesting role within the Healthy Working Lives Group. Co-ordinating CPD Courses and providing PA support to a busy Professor. Processing expenses, extensive diary work, travel, preparing documentation, some marketing for CPD courses and events. The hardest part of the job is making sure the To Do list goes down and not up.
A good place to work
PhD researcher (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 January 2018
The institution was a fulfilling place to be employed, and a most inspiring place to study.I enjoyed my time here and learned a vast array of transferable skills.
Good place to study
Earth Science Research (Former Employee) –  Glasgow6 November 2017
I enjoyed my time at UoG, very interesting with multiple areas to study. My degree in Earth science could have been more employment orientated but the research that was competed was of a high standard and very engaging.
University of Glasgow
secretary (Current Employee) –  Glasgow5 November 2017
An often-challenging academic environment of the University of Glasgow, the fourth oldest university in the UK (second oldest in Scotland) with student enrolment in excess of 24,000.
Pros
job security
Cons
works on the Lean methology
uncomfortable working environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 November 2017
I worked at the Uni of Vet school (department of leukaemia/vet school) for over 5 years. The majority of this time was very productive and enjoyable but unfortunately I found the final 2 years extremely uncomfortable due to many factors, which include increasing pressures to obtain quick results (essential to secure funding for the following 5 years) which led to a massive increase in unpaid hours, which had a knock on effect on the group dynamic resulting in a working environment that I found extremely cold and edgy. Subsequently I became somewhat ostracised from the group, possibly due to me being the only (young) male. This was a career first for me as my previous positions have without exception all been the complete opposite of how my experience at Glasgow ultimately became. My character is such that I made every effort to meet the ultimate goal of the group and publish my data which would have been a huge asset in securing the funding. This would see me regularly working into the very early hours (4am and later) at the Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow in a great effort to collect the vital final pieces of data I needed to publish the research I had worked on for the past 5 years. The goal sadly was never achieved as my colleague at the time unfortunately failed in her role to convert the raw data that I had created into a visual interpretable format. This was the end of over 5 years of hard work for me and ultimately there was nothing to show and nothing was published. A sole destroying experience and consequently the reason I then decided my future path would not involve  more... academic medical research.  less
Pros
challenging and very interesting
Cons
colleagues and the huge number of mice that ultimately I killed unnecessarily
Insightful and helpful
Primary school teacher work experience (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 October 2017
Provided with insightful placements in various primary schools. Gave me a remit to work with and lots of support from a mentor who also came to assess me teaching
Great teamwork and shared best practice
Course Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 October 2017
I enjoyed my time at Glasgow Uni as the task scheduling ranged over the academic year so was varied. The open plan office environment helped enhance job role understanding and pressure points. The line managers job shared which worked well and ensured a balanced view on progression on tasks. As part of a team at hectic times I offered help when needed to progress tasks and meet deadlines.
I enjoyed communicating with a range of stakeholders and was first point of contact for students with problems which affected their ability to study. This was a time consuming but rewarding role, supporting students, offering direction to appropriate specialist support or advise as per the regulations.
Pros
Contact with students and colleagues
Cons
Poorly managed introductions of new systems integral to the Admin role
Under valued
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 September 2017
Under valued under paid for job expected no job security due to restructuring lovely scenery poor management bad behaviour seems to be rewarded get to see the end result everyday is different
Pros
Lovely scenery
Cons
Poor management
Workload and Grade Incompatible
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow31 August 2017
Commonly known for staff to be working at a lower grade than work dictates with workload of 2 FTE. Management lacking in management skill with little chance of any progression.
WCMP A fantastic institute
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow2 July 2017
The normal life of a researcher at an University. Having to organise yor day and your experiments. Having to train and supervise new project, master students and PhD students.
Good but flawed
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 June 2017
Learned a great deal here, however the pay simply does not reflect the work done or the qualifications achieved and time and effort spent there, that being the main reason to leave
Great research establishment
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, UK12 June 2017
My 5 years work at Glasgow University as a post-doc was a rich and rewarding experience. The professors and support staff were very professional and friendly.
Good employer
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 June 2017
GOOD EMPLOYER NICE WORKING ENVIROMENT

Driven Senior Administrator within the finance sector with over 15 years of experience with a proven track record of success. A good team player and all-rounder who thrives on challenges, taking on and dealing with all tasks as required and assisting wherever necessary to ensure all work is dealt with on time. Works well under pressure in a clam and efficient manner, prioritising work well and always completing daily tasks. Good organisational and planning skills, can work on own initiative - dealing with business matters and queries as they occur.