University of Exeter Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Jame's Italian13 January 2018
I learned how to work in a team and how to respect my colleagues. It was an enjoyable job for me. I was working form 3:30 pm to 7:45 pm and it was productive work for me.
Perpetual Transformation
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Exeter11 December 2017
The University exploits its position as a preferred recruiter in a relatively uncompetitive job market to pay less than other Russell Group Universities in the South West. The HR department fails to comply with government guidance concerning the paying rolled up holiday pay.
There is a perpetual process of transformation that never ends leading to heightened and often unreasonable job insecurity and loss of institutional memory.
Despite the best efforts of HR, the University is a friendly and engaging place to work. There is flexibility in hours and reasonable pay - if you are not on the temporary staff bank and being exploited.
Pros
Good annual leave
Cons
Chronic job insecurity
workplace
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  University of Exeter13 November 2017
I work in a pretty good environment, I usually work in the dining room, behind the servery or in the wash up area. My main role is working with students mantaining an high standard of service and hygiene,
Pros
good pay
Cons
casual job, hard work.
Prettige omgeving, mooie plaats en goede universiteit
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Exeter11 October 2017
De universiteit biedt veel vrijheid, in BioSciences zijn de collagas goed en erg sociaal. De werkdrug op mijn niveau is goed maar kan zwaar worden narmate je hogerop komt.
Pros
Vrijheid van dagindeling, Sociaal departement
Cons
Brexit
Positive working environment. Good benefits
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Penryn, Cornwall10 October 2017
A generally positive working environment. The Uni offers a good Pension scheme, cycle to work scheme. Good opportunities for in work training and personal development courses.
Productive flexible and fun
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon22 September 2017
Highly supportive working environments. Flexible working hours. A fast-growing research institute in life science. The campus is not too far from city centre. However, the city is a bit too small and boring.
Productive and fun eperience
Student marshall (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon9 September 2017
I worked as a student marshal at the University of Exeter during the University open day. Such a great experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was explaining to the guest about the university.
really nice place
bar staff (Current Employee) –  exeter21 August 2017
really nice place to work good people and good pay i really enjoyed working at the university they make you feel valued and take care of the staff and would recomend it to anyone
Friendly Workplace
Catering Assistant and Buffet Driver (Former Employee) –  Exeter18 July 2017
It is easy to feel at home very quickly at the University of Exeter with most staff in all departments and at all levels being friendly and welcoming.
Sometimes you may be asked to work extra hours and irregular times but this is compensated in the salary.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Possible ling hours.
new and fun experience
Student mentor (Former Employee) –  Devon8 July 2017
First time as a student mentor
dealt with students going through exam anxiety or home sickness, or any general issue while living away from home
counselling
organizing social events like day trips around UK, bowling or table tennis matches, picnics, bake sales and workshops etc.
Encouraging and supportive workplace
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon8 June 2017
The working environment is friendly and productive with an emphasis on the progression of the university as well as personal development. A good place to work.
I am a student
Student (Former Employee) –  Streatham2 May 2017
I am a student, not an employee... but otherwise, a lovely atmosphere. If you are thinking of studying here I recommend 100% you will not be disappointed
Great university in a beautiful campus
PhD Researcher (Former Employee) –  Exeter23 April 2017
Research focused Russell Group university, one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. Good teaching and lots of great researchers there. The Maths department is good.
Friendly and efficient workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon20 April 2017
Most staff were really friendly and welcoming.
Feet hurt at the end of my shift for staying standing in one spot for a long time (wear better shoes in the future)
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Shift always between 11am and 3.30pm so hard to fit around my lectures.
Flexible
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Exeter, UK12 April 2017
As a student ambassador I was responsible for leading tours, answering questions and providing general information about the University. Not only did the experience give me the opportunity to demonstrate my knowledge of the local area and university itself, but also allowed me to utilize my approachable and helpful nature in order to create the best possible impression for prospective students.
Great place to study radiography
Student Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Exeter3 April 2017
Exeter is a great place to train as a radiographer. The course is more physics based than other radiography degrees giving you the extra edge. The long placements may seem like a slog when you start but they are extremely beneficial for your career.
Amazing people and location but tough work
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Cornwall27 February 2017
The work I carried out was research based so very dependent on your supervisor how much work you will have and how you're experience will be. I had a very heavy workload which could not be altered, so I spent most of my days from early morning, to late night, in the office.

The best part of the job was the people who work there - they are all very nice people, so you will not have any struggle fitting in or asking for help if needed. Lovely family-like environment to work (ESI).

You also get flexible working hours if you're a researcher; no-one expects you to be in very early, and there is no unspoken rule where you have to stay until a certain time before you leave. Most people have families, so they put them first and work around them. The usual arrival time is between 9:30 and 10am, and leave around 5pm.

Management is very dependent on the person. Some people, especially if you asked them directly, are very helpful and carry out tasks immediately. Some people do not reply for a long time, often needing follow-up emails to get tasks done.
The UoE campus in Penryn has bad communications with main campus. It is often not clear whether you should do things through the the main campus (as you are part of Exeter), or with FXU (Falmouth Exeter Union) which is a separate independent team only on the Penryn Campus.

Equipment often broke down, and due to the rural location it was often hard to get maintenance people down to complete tasks.
On the positive side, the views from the buildings are beautiful, and location is great, so if you want to do outdoor activities
  more... a lot of the time then it is a perfect location for you.  less
Pros
Flexible working hours, family-first work ethic, friendly helpful co-workers, well equipped lab, lovely location
Cons
Long hours, equipment breaking easily, long waits for maintenance teams due to location, need a car
Good employer
Senior systems support and development officer (Former Employee) –  Main site19 January 2017
Good employer with great facilities on site. However, the culture has changed over the years, resulting in more pressure, particularly for staff in administration roles.
Pros
Great facilities
Cons
Shortage of staff in some areas
Exciting and fun place
Hospitality Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon16 January 2017
I had a great time working in my university with some highly qualified and enthusiastic people. It was extremely motivating and I would love to continue working here if possible in future.
Pros
great location
Cons
minimum wage
It is very good univerisity
Tutor (Former Employee) –  POLICES SCIENCES1 January 2017
I worked for exeter uni as tutor and I enjoyed to work over there.In that time I taught exeter students many subjects such as economics of politics and the polices of world economics and now I am teaching module politics and economics in the middle east.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Exeter. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2