University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Employee Reviews

United Kingdom131 reviews
Teaching Assistant
I was a Teaching Assistant with the University of Edinburgh. I enjoyed my work. Teaching workload is not very heavy. Marking is more painful than teaching.
Productive and fun workplace
A reliable place to work, you will get enough breaks in between your work hour. I learned good communication skills and team leader skills. The management really professional and looks after all staff.
Good place to do a PhD
Enjoyed my time here. Good supervisors, who encouraged me to go to conferences, design my own experiments, and write papers. Also had good courses to do alongside the PhD.
Stable work environment, the most enjoyable part of the job is engaging with students and fellow staff from around the world. It's a space where ideas are welcomed and training is available.
productive and fast-paced environment
Augment bionics:
Working alongside the Electrical and mechanical engineering team, as a product designer, my job was to help with CAD Design and renderings, silicone moulds in the iterations of the prosthetic arm to allow for more aesthetically pleasing exterior and using as little material as possible for sustainability.

This work allows me to learn more about collaborative work, in a fast-paced environment given that at the time, we were on a tight deadline, chasing to finish the parts for specified time.

Photo editor and photographer:

This was a job I took for leisure purposes as I also enjoy taking and editing photos in portrait mode, and assign others for their respective causes.
Flexible working environment
There is a prevalent culture of independent work ethic, i.e. you are aware of the expectations and you are mostly left to fulfil those without people looking over your shoulder.

Management is always mindful of one's personal circumstances and they are always accommodating.
Enjoyable
I enjoyed my work here and the pay is above living wage. There is a good pention and the interview was quick and based on work related tasks.
I would recommend to a friend.
Creative and enegetic
Extremely friendly environment to work in. All staff interested in work being carried out and collaborating where possible. Lots of interesting and ground-breaking things going on all the time made it an exciting place to work.
Edinburgh university
I enjoy working at the university people are friendly we all work very hard at keeping the buildings clean we all take pride in our work and getting recognition from lecturers and students alike saying how helpful we are and how clean their office and building s are really gives the cleaning staff a boost.
Relaced and fun, great work ethic
Really enjoyable place to work, staff, employer and city is all great and would go back in a heartbeat. Management of projects is a thoroughly thought out process
Surrounded by researchers from all backgrounds all with a lot of time. However because there are so many others progression can be difficult as projects also seem to be specific.
Great management
Productive and fun workplace.
Typical days allowed for independent study and lab work, worked closely with professors and PhD students to achieve project goals. Low stress and flexible hours.
Excellent Demonstrating Opportunuties for Postgraduate Students
Excellent Demonstrating Opportunuties for Postgraduate Students. As a PhD student in the school of Chemistry at Edinburgh University the opportunity to get payed experience teaching undergraduates is invaluable.
It was ok
I was in it for a week as a high school work placement. For some reason indeed is making me review it when I don't have much to say, but yeah, it was cool and the people were passionate
Productive and fun learning
Great Place to work and very well organised, Coordinating and communicating staff, workplace culture is adjustable and relaxing, lot of things to learn and progress, challenges and new ideas everyday.
Great
Great environment to study and work as a research scientist.
creative
Designing the brief and meeting with students in a studio environment is fun and boosts one's creativity. Yet, you have to provide written feedback to students twice a semester and you do not get paid for those extra hours.
Nice environment
At the University of Edinburgh, the working environment is quite relaxed although recently there has been an increase in bureaucracy. Publications are often prioritised over research.
Colleagues make it enjoyable
A PhD is a big undertaking and it is a mentally challenging job which is hard to switch off from. The University of Edinburgh do not offer the appropriate support and you are very much left to complete it on your own. Other PhD students form your support network and they are always there to help you know you're not alone and offer advice and help where they can. Be aware that you will be expected to complete the PhD out of your own savings as they do not provide sufficient funding for the whole PhD.
Pros
Opportunity to complete a PhD at a good university
Cons
Long hours, lack of proper support, lack of funding
Stressful
Stressful working environment ,bullying culture in some sites by management . Sometimes the work schedule was unrealistic and soul destroying at times
Great
Had an amazing time here the staff are extremely friendly and helpful with settling in as are the students. Hope to return to continue my career at some point.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Edinburgh. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3