University of Edinburgh Employee Reviews

Helpdesk
Helpdesk Staff (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 October 2018
Awesome experience
Strengthening own knowledge by helping others
Getting more involved in the school, and more involved meeting the academia community at the university
Education and good overall starting experience.
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  7 George Square23 September 2018
I only worked as a volunteer research assistant and felt enough support was given when necessary. Working hours were flexible. I learned to manage data.
A great place to work with good people
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 September 2018
I enjoyed my time with UoE, good people, the IT setup is good, and the culture positive.

As with any large and diverse organisation there are frustrations in trying to get things done but the will to improve is there.
Pros
Location, people, culture
Cons
commuting
Friendly work environment
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh18 July 2018
I have worked with this company for over a year now and have found them to be very good employers, the management staff have been more than willing to help with any work or personal issues and have always made me feel part of a team. My only issue is the fact that there is not enough hours working part time to fully enjoy my free time.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not enough hours
Great learning experience
Performance Sport S&C Intern (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh13 July 2018
I had the pleasure of working with some of the finest athletes and coaches that the University had to offer. I was treated with respect and every day I was able to learn something new. I loved going to work each day.
Pros
Amazing learning experience
Cons
Can't fault it
Fun and enjoyable job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh11 July 2018
Lots of hours were spent talking to people, sharing experience, opinions, presenting our University and providing some useful information to the students.
I became more talkative.
By choosing that type of work you have a great chance to socialise and to be creative.
Any help is required during such events as Open Day, so there is a range of jobs available.
The hardest point is the visitors' attention direction on that you are saying.
The enjoyable part of the work is its flexibility and the good opportunity to make friends.
Pros
Bookstore vouchers
Cons
Good
Research/teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh26 June 2018
The best University in Scotland. I am studying here as a PhD student and working as Research/Teaching assistant. The University environment is very kind and friendly.
Good experience
Laboratory Internship (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh22 June 2018
The University of Edinburgh is one of the top university in the world having a ranking of 18. It would be certainly beneficial for you if you have a chance to work as lab internship
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
No salary
Fun job for students
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh4 June 2018
The job is to call up alumni, initiate a conversation with them, and (hopefully) obtain a donation to university funds. A lot of time is spent calling people who do not pick up, but when they do, conversations can often be very rewarding.
Edin university
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  All over6 April 2018
No career advancement. Too many staff hiding here for years too scared to work out in private sector, staying for benefits.
Once you are pigeon holed into a grade you are stuck there. Depends which school you work for but business school has too many ex recruiters.
Wouldn’t want to think I pay 30k for an mba and am
Being taught by a recruitment consultant!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No progression
Diverse workplace
Communications and Engagement Officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh2 April 2018
Speaking only from personal experience, employees are well taken care of with solid benefits packages and respectful management. It's an international organisation with the opportunity for good work life balance.
Good student experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh19 March 2018
A well respected University with top class training facilities.

I completed a masters programme, which at the time was one of only 2 available in the UK.
Pros
Access to excellent training facilities and advice from tutors
Cons
Did not necessarily help progress my career
Venerable institution undergoing major change
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh1 March 2018
Your work experience will vary whether you work within an academic environment or a corporate one. Sites are spread all across the city and outwith the city itself.
Pros
your workmates are likely to be intelligent and pleasant people.
Cons
Career advancement isn't great.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 February 2018
Wonderful competitive place to work in. Good academic management. Wonderful job coleagues. You definitely get good time to concentrate on what you want to do.
Pros
good thoughtful environment
Great colleagues
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Causewayside3 February 2018
I really enjoyed my temp role here. I was only there a short time but was made to feel welcome and the other women in my department were super colleagues.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh2 February 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Edinburgh University.
I gained a huge amount of knowledge and experiences working in a science lab every day.
No two days were the same.
Very varied duties carried out each day.
Productive and fun workplace
Visitor Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh24 January 2018
Working at the University of Edinburgh was a wonderful time. opened the new Visitor centre and introduced an area that allowed students and visitors to learn more about the University - its history, courses and role in the Edinburgh society.
Porter
Porter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh15 January 2018
Not enough hours to get jobs done .100 miles an hour. Poor management stay clear of porter work . Part time job but full time work load. Expected to work without correct tools etc .no respect .
Pros
Cons
Heavy work loads not enough hours .poor management
A good place to work
Hotel room attendant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh City, City of Edinburgh9 January 2018
The place itself was a good place to work at but the management team were a nightmare, constantly spreading rumours between the different buildings which wasn't nice at all.
Pros
Long Breaks, Good Hours
Cons
Busy and fast paced environment
Technical (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh7 January 2018
Permenant positions are very secure but there are a lot of short term contracts that I know people are less than happy with. There is a lot of in-house training, some of which is compulsory. Others you may need to ask for if you want to, for instance fire steward and first aid, it really depends on your role within the organisation
Pros
Very much depends on management, there appears to be a great deal of variation between departments, pension is good, well equipped workplace, good health and safety
Cons
I struggle at times to book the holiday time I would like

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Edinburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4