UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE Employee Reviews

kind of good
Student (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Scotland12 June 2018
My overall experience was stressful though I had gone through with a good time as my colleagues were helping still sometimes it was very hard to balance work and studies since it was a part-time job and I was a fulltime student.
Productive and fun workplace
Carnegie Student (Former Employee) –  Dundee City14 May 2018
I gained a huge amount of laboratory experience from this placement and it gave me an insight into research. Most of the project was based on trial and error therefore I faced challenges everyday. To get to the end and have been successful was extremely rewarding. Colleagues were extremely helpful and friendly and so was my Supervisor.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
There weren't any
great staff poor management
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Dundee City11 April 2018
The team can be great. The management is a bit messed up. The university Is your employer but you line manager is first port of call who tend to think they own the university and you. They are dictated by their line managers so despite your employers (uni of dundee) rules your line manager makes it up as they go along. It also is favuoratism. This is seen in many departments.
Great in the sense of security of a job but management structure seems to be up to eat individual and they make it up as they go along. :/
Pros
secure pay, sick pay, good holiday pay
Cons
management, flexibility restriction with some departments
productive job
International Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Dundee City14 March 2018
it is a balanced work life.jobs come in once or twice in a month. salaries are paid not immediately but we were told of that at the start of the application which is great.
it is a wonderful place to work
PA to the Director of Organisational Change (Former Employee) –  Tower Building13 March 2018
Flexible in hours of work, learned a lot there about HR in a large company and also about the changes that make the University what it is today.

There was no part of the job that was particularly hard or difficult, most of it was enjoyable but the changes within the University made it a very uncertain place to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people and getting to know the working management of a large University and the difficulties it can sometimes create.
Pros
The people and the flexibility
Cons
No cons
I enjoy working at the University of Dundee.
Mathematics Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City11 September 2017
The job is enjoyable, I rarely work outside of my comfort zone. I am given plenty of freedom to do my work and given opportunities to run exciting projects. Unfortunately, permanent positions are not easy to come by and rely heavily on the university's tight budgets and how well you are known by key staff members.
Pros
Freedom to work
Cons
No job security
Very good
Student (Current Employee) –  Dundee21 August 2017
I have enjoyed my time at the university of dundee, it has been very rewarding and has given me the skills needed to progress in the world of work, it has been very beneficial
Great
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Dundee, UK16 May 2017
Good school, helpful staff, good atmosphere. Able to learn lots and get to know interesting people. Only started recently but looking forward to continuing.
Anatomical Demonstrator/ Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dundee City14 March 2017
Excellent, friendly and enjoyable place to work. The management are organised and mindful of each employee. They consider allow you to see further training and advance personal skills.
Great academic environment, excellent work culture and a powerful team to work with
Accounting and Finance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dundee, Angus5 January 2017
It was really exciting when I had to teach investment appraisals ( level 200 students). I made the mode of teaching so simple and the students really loved it. They are always excited and thankful at the end of the semester. Dundee University has a great team to work with. The most enjoyable part of the exercise was my interactions with students. They make teaching fun and fulfilling.
Pros
Satisfying and exciting
Cons
Stressful but manageable

Want to know more about UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE?

Ask a question
Great to work in but limited job security
Post-doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Dundee21 November 2016
Great colleagues, enjoyable environment to work in. However senior management in School somewhat lacking. Poor job security, similar to most academic institutions in that respect.
Friendly
Student (Former Employee) –  Dundee23 October 2016
It is a nice place to study and make friends.I learnt a lot from this University. I am very proud of this experience. I will recommend this university to my friends in the future.
challenging and loads of fun
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Dundee16 October 2016
I enjoyed working at university of dundee, my colleagues assisted me when i needed help. The daily interaction with students gave me great pleasure and i got to apply my interpersonal skills on everyday basis.
Productive and Developing Work Place
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dundee8 October 2016
Having been working as a tutor helped me to learn about the academia. First of all, I learned what it means to work in the academic staff that requires discipline and responsibility. On the other hand, I saw that working as a tutor is also brings a lot of fun with being in contact with students on a daily basis. At the beginning, I began to learn how to prepare the course content, how to present the lecture and how to start debates in seminar session which I received useful advises from the module leaders. Furthermore, I worked with other tutors in a structured way which increased my confidence in the business environment. I think the most difficult part of the job is to familiarize students to the course and get their attention who do not seem to enjoy the course whereas the most enjoyable part of the job is to having debates and presentations in seminar session which the students begin to make critical thinking and productive discussions.
Good on the short term, long term development is might be difficult for some.
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Dundee18 February 2016
Nice place allowing opportunities for grant writing, advance technology and collaboration in the short term. Lack of opportunities and support when you work there after few years.
university review
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Dundee, SCT17 November 2015
field work in Montrose basin. Collection separation and identification of marine species. worked as part of a team and on own initiative. Focused on completing work and to a high degree of accuracy.
Great rapport with Doctors and technicians. Hardest part is looking for minute animals in substrate and most enjoyable was identification of specie in detail.
Pros
Rapport with everyone
Cons
smell of preservative
Fun
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Dundee, SCT20 September 2015
Great position for students as it is a part time position. Great fun to meet new people and to learn new skills.

Management is great, provide you with full training and support.
Universidade de Ponta
Pesquisadora (Former Employee) –  Dundee, SCT31 August 2015
Em resumo...foi a melhor época da minha vida! Oportunidade de estudo e aquisição de conhecimento única.
Pros
Tudo
good, interesting place to work
Kinase Profiling (Former Employee) –  Dundee, SCT5 August 2015
Interesting work, good work mates, varied and busy. Under resourced at times which makes it quite stressful. Good benefits from working at a University.
Enjoyable workplace
Admin Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dundee, SCT14 January 2015
I gained a lot of experience during my work experience at the UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE, I interacted with a lot of staff members and felt welcome throughout my time in the office. I gained a lot of experience about computers and the certain hardware/programmes needed to complete each task given in an administrators job. The management was run excellently.