University of Derby
Here to help
Coronavirus update

University of Derby Employee Reviews

United Kingdom90 reviews
Was a really nice job. The students followed instructions and showed maturity. With the help of the senior staff they help you get around and teach you important traits to undertake when leading a team
I loved it there, amazing people, it feels like you are a student.

A relaxed place to work, with different fun events happening all the time.

It is nice as they have different places you can eat.
Pros
everything
Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with other students in order to enhance the student experience. I also enjoyed creating and managing social media campaigns.
Pros
Staff discount
University of Derby is an organisation that genuinely cares about your career development. I am always encouraged to ' think outside the box' and am supported by senior management to make impactful changes to my departments processes.
They keep us well- informed on sector and local challenges and welcome our ideas.

Having worked in private sector for most of my career, I can finally say I feel valued and like I have true job security ( and great holiday and pension!)

I'd highly recommend people consider Derby Uni for their next career move - you might be surprised what they have to offer!
My time being employed was short at University of Derby, but I was instantly welcomed as part of the team. The job itself provided plenty of challenges as well as a strong team to help along the way. I would certainly consider working for them again, if the opportunity arose.
The University of Derby is a great environment to progress and develop your skills. They offer a lot of training opportunities, and the culture is challenging yet rewarding.
Pros
Good working environment, opportunities to really make a difference.
Cons
Salaries could be more competitive.
I have liked every minute in the University of Derby as a Full Time Masters Student. Amazing time with amazing Lecturers.
Very supportive environment.
every event I work is different and fun, the pay is great for the shifts we do. The management are very nice and helpful and care about all there staff
I received a bursary of £500 to cover study materials and travel expenses
A new uniform was also provided

The University study days were easy to follow and there was 121 support with the dissertation. I found the work placement shifts very stressful because of the distance and travelling to and from the hospital and 2 x 12 hour shifts were compulsory so for this reason I didn't complete the course
I was a student here and really enjoyed my time. the facilities were very good and fulfilled everyones needs. the lecturers were very knowledgeable and always able to help.
If you are ambitious and looking for job promotion this is great place to work. Good selection of part time and full time opportunities
Great training and vibrant place to work
My biggest regret was leaving UOD, If you get a chance to join the infrastructure team then go for it!
Great Place to work, Great Team, Let you grow your skills and devlop
Excellent place to work for many reasons, 1. Flexi around my lectures, no pressure. 2. Good for networking
3. It is like a community/family

4, builds skills, improves confidence on an academic level.
The travel was easy I enjoyed working in schools around Derbyshire being a exam invigilator. The pay was enouh for living expenses and it was only part time for a student. I worked with Year 11 students doing their GCSES. And worked with students of all abilities.
great culture and nice relaxed atmosphere. lots of interaction with staff who are willing and helpful. would recommend hands down for anyone considering a role
The work at the University of Derby combines a stimulating environment full of projects with a very kind and collaborative staff where you can breathe a professional and relaxed atmosphere at the same time. The preparation of laboratory experiments, the support for PhD students, is performed with extreme professionalism and with an excellent propensity for dialogue.
This place exploted my skill set and under paid me ,also exposed me too dangerous environments including asbestos!, Be very wary when applying for any maintenance positions .
You feel important and part of a team at the University, however the pay and benefits do not reflects the skills and work created. There appears to be a high turnover of staff, in particular management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working on a number of different portfolios and subjects keeping it varied. The hardest part was the staff shortage vs. volume of work.
As a student, not all but most aspects of the university were met in some shape or form. Some areas such as union of students did not respond to complaints adequately and in later years at some campuses resources were not provided properly or teachers were found overworked.
Teaching staff was almost always more than adequate in terms of providing learning opportunities, support and providing and explaining resources with one or two exceptions.

Library staff and resources are more than adequate.

Food vendors are mixed with a decent range covering both cafes/areas.

Cash services vary with card readers having connection problems and ATM machine not working a majority of the time requiring people to go into town to get cash.

Toilet facilities are more than adequate and are cleaned and supervised regularly.

Security services are fine.

Overall 3/5-6 years with teaching staff were treated well and with care, and while still Ok/good at best from a personal perspective has deteriorated in certain areas as detailed above and does not fit the previous level of quality.
You will learn the sequence of service for fine dining. The team is very nice but the hours are very long, depending on the event and it is normal for this type of job.
Only worked here temporarily as was a student here too but I even got holiday pay and I’ve never got holiday pay in any part time role. They were so nice if you couldn’t attend (I have a lot of hospital appointments!) and the pay was great for the job I did (Telephonist). 100% Recommend.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Derby. Our community is ready to answer.
University of Derby Reviews by Location