UNIVERSITY OF CHESTER Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Student Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of Chester2 July 2018
- travel to different campuses
- opportunities to work with seniors and PhD students
- learning while working
- get to attend useful workshop
- able to know more people from the different world and different fields.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
time consuming due to travelling
Friendly organisation to work for
Marketing, Recruitment and Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chester16 November 2017
To give you some context on my experience here, I initially volunteered as a student at the University of Chester between 2007 and 2010 in various support departments. I then took up my first paid employment as a graduate of the institution in July 2010 where I stayed for 2 years before moving to another University in the Midlands. I returned to the University of Chester in 2014 and since then have held two post in two other departments.

I have always felt my job is secure while working at the University of Chester and have found the majority of the staff friendly and supportive of one another.

They pay is lower than other institutions for similar roles. Working in Liverpool can see you earning between £2-3000 a year for the identical post. And the benefits are pretty much identical such as the pension and holiday entitlement.

The HR team are supportive and some departments are excellent at personal development. Others are less so supportive unfortunately. It all comes down to their own personal budgets.

Average working day is 9am - 5:30pm with a 4:30pm finish on a Friday. The management team at the university are easily approachable, there are channels to reach the most senior members of staff around the university when needed and they tend to be good at responding to matters promptly.

The culture changes from campus and department. If you find yourself moving around Like I have, it can sometimes feel like you have gone to a totally different University with peoples attitudes!

Overall I would recommend the University of Chester as an employer, but I
  more... would advise anyone who takes a job here to keep their eye on the job market and be ready to jump to another institution or department when the opportunities arise since there is little to none naturally upward progression. It requires a fair amount of jumping about to get onto the next step of your career!  less
Pros
Friendly staff and Nice environment to work
Cons
Little to no upward progression.
Fun subject to learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Chester1 November 2017
I enjoyed my time at the university of chester as it was a great place to learn as well as being close to home and the city centre. This overall gave a great balance to studying and socialising
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Late lectures
Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom25 September 2017
A great experience it was as it allowed me to experience thee organization on practical grounds and allowed me to gather data one on one. Got to know about a diversity of culture
Pros
Innovativ
Cons
Lengthy process
Good for Nursing
Student Nurse Training (Current Employee) –  Chester3 July 2017
The university's nursing courses are brilliant, I love the course and the last three years have flown, the course has enabled me to progress in my career.
Research Project (Former Employee) –  Chester24 June 2017
The research project I did was very relevant to the course I take which is Chemical Engineering. The results I produced is in a process of being published.
Good people to work with
Support (Former Employee) –  Chester19 June 2017
Other support staff are great but pay average and not related to performance. Limited opportunities for advancement at tis time. Lots of reliance on temporary contracts rather than permanent positions.
Good
Student Mental Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Warrington18 June 2017
Attended UoC for 3 years at the Warrington Campus
Friendly approachable helpful staff
As a student nurse appropriate placements were organised
Friendly campus; small community
University of Chester
International Admissions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chester16 June 2017
Family like work place, with great team spirit.

Progression is good, and training is mostly widely available. My favourite part of the job is mixing with so many nationalities.
Best time of my life
University of Chester Equestrian Club Captain (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire2 June 2017
Being club captain really enhanced my time at university and I would have never changed it for the world. This opportunity allowed me to work out what I wished to do with my future and career.
Job security, benefits, range of job roles
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire26 January 2017
I have learned so much working at the university in terms if the higher education field and administration duties. There is a vast amount of departments, all varied with a range of job opportunities.
Great atmosphere
Hall Warden (Former Employee) –  University of Chester24 January 2017
AdHoc basis of employment.

Communication with all staff members.

Inconsitent hours

The ability to change peoples day was very rewarding
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire21 January 2017
I worked at the university for just over a year. It was a good working environment and the department I worked for was working towards a reasonable management structure.
Friendly and bustling workplace
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire11 January 2017
The cleaning department at the University of Chester is a great place to work as long as you are willing to work hard, yet efficiently. Staff are friendly to everyone.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Fiddly timesheet procedure to get paid
Not valued
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Warrington11 January 2017
During my time at Chester university, the management of the university seemed very distant and did not want to help out the student ambassadors, we worked long hours without any acknowledgement from the management and little guidance from them,
Pros
Free cold sandwiches
Cons
No guidance
Chester University Bank - Students ONLY
Student (Former Employee) –  University of Chester10 January 2017
I never applied to jobs but once you manage to get on the jobs bank they send you whatever openings there are as soon as they become available. For students only though, and you do have to apply and be selected via interview to get on the jobs bank.
Pros
variety of jobs that offer training
Cons
a lot is out of term time and limited to 15 hours a week
Professional and Fun
Apprentice Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester6 October 2016
Loved working here everyone was so supportive and friendly. A well ran establishment. HR were actually helpful and my supervisors and line managers were easy to get along with and very understanding to my illnesses.
Varied and easy going work. Regular hours
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Chester27 August 2016
While working this summer I have regular hours and a varied working day. My superiors are friendly and easy going, as are my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is arguably the maintaining of outside areas, as this can get quite monotonous. The most enjoyable aspect is the job's day to day variation of tasks.
Pros
Regular hours and easy going
Cons
Temporary and low pay
I did a course at the University of Chester
Completing a course (Former Employee) –  Course22 August 2016
I enjoyed my time at the University of Chester. I received the tuition I required and found the tutors to be very helpful. I learned more about the government policy, the national occupation standards and the safeguarding requirements. I interviewed students about a subject, which I benefitted from and found about more about the course they are doing. I found out about the difficulties faced by them concerning the course which they are achieving.

The hardest part of the course was gathering the evidence for the assignments and completing the assignments timely. The most enjoyable part of the course was meeting others and becoming aware of their stumbling blocks, helping others to overcome their struggles.
Comfortable relaxed workplace
FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR / SECURITY SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Chester30 March 2016
Day shifts can be busy yet controlled. The health and safety culture is ok. Management are approachable and available to talk to.
Being part of a shift team works well.
Paperwork can become a bit to much at times.
Pros
Comfortable environment.
Cons
Long hours.