University of Central lancashire Employee Reviews

Great workplace
International Buddy (Former Employee) –  Lancashire11 June 2018
The university is a friendly place to work with a wonderful staff that help one another with any difficulties. It is a very friendly environment to work in.
Great Place to Work!
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire29 January 2018
I was required to conduct laboratory tests, analyse eye tracker data, transcribe audio files and compute data sets.I developed my research skills by actively being involved with projects and working alongside academics.The atmosphere at UCLan is fantastic - everyone is friendly and there is plenty of support to help you succeed in your role.
Fantastic company
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire27 January 2018
Lovely company to work for.
Fantastic employer. Brilliant company incentives.
Good team players.
Great management
Great working life and good convenient hours
Good employer
Senior Marketing Officer (Former Employee) –  Lancashire7 January 2018
Good employer supporting the educational and economical
community. Learned lots of skills whilst as employer and trained as counsellor, advisor and trainer.
Pros
within community
Cons
within community
Fun work place
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  MARKETING DEPT. UCLAN, PRESTON14 December 2017
My role as Student Ambassador is to support a range of University recruitment activities. As a Student Ambassador I promote the University to potential students and inspire them to consider Higher Education.

• Conducting campus tours
• Processing telephone clearing applications
• Providing advice to potential students
• Supporting new students during enrolment
Fantastic Workplace
Lecturer/PGCE training placement (Current Employee) –  Lancashire4 December 2017
I am currently lecturing 1st year degree student's one day per week at the University as part of my post graduate certificate in education. My role is to deliver hourly seminars based around photography principles, truth in photography and practice based research. My role involves lesson planning, lesson delivering, management of a large group of students and all teaching duties required by the University. I also run a voluntary program that has established links with a local college, Lancashire archives and the Harris Museum. This project enables Preston B-Tech photography students to ability to visit the University and work alongside a long running project I have been researching directly from the archives. The students engage in workshops that I lead at the University. These include the use of the Dark room for film processing, and studio practice, this enables them to develop their photographic techniques. As well as enabling them the ability to produce great photographic images at the end of their course at the college.

The mentors at the University are very helpful, understanding and supportive. The hardest part of the job is the travel to and from Preston other than that it's great. The best part of the job for me is seeing students learn and develop.
Pros
Great teaching experiance
Cons
Travel too far
Learning
Examination Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Preston26 November 2017
I learned how to teach in international environment. Worked with different experimental techniques in Pharmacy laboratories. Being an exam invigilator, I came to know that exam can be conducted individually according to the need of special students.
Fun and Supportive
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lancashire14 November 2017
the students union always looked after each member of the team, and provided great opportunities for development for its members, i thoroughly enjoyed working with the students union.
Learned a lot
Top up work from Internship (Former Employee) –  Preston9 November 2017
Learning how to be part of a team and working within a deadline was a good experience. The members of the office were very welcoming and friendly and provided a nice work experience. The hardest part of it all was the creation of a database that was suitable to their standards but once i understood how they operated then it was easy to tweak it to their standards.
Pros
Working and Interacting with different people
Cons
Early wake ups xD
great place
Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire10 October 2017
very good staff to work with excellent rates of pay and management excellent also. would work here again only had to leave due to persoal issues but very good place
Good
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire21 September 2017
Good Place to work, very supportive of staff, good holidays and very invested in personal development. The work is engaging and challenging and there is always something new to learn.
Great employer
Senior Financial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Preston12 September 2017
I found UCLan to be a good employer, providing good career progression whilst allowing a good work /life balance through the flex-time working.

Regular appraisals and team building opportunities allowed staff to build a good rapport with each other and meant that the working environment was enjoyable.
Ok
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lancashire9 September 2017
Work was okay. Manager/Supervisor seemed to show favouritism towards specific employees. Although the pay was good, but most shifts were only made available on Wednesdays making it difficult for those in labs/lectures to work those shifts.
Great starting position to gain experience and knowledge
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire17 July 2017
The role required a level of independent working
Allowed a lot of patient contact
Required a lot of travel
The long hours and limited pay made it difficult to continue in such a position
Pros
Opportunity for networking and learning from experts within the field
Cons
Long hours, a lot of responsibility and limited control.
Full time Student
Full time student - Foundation Degree (Former Employee) –  Preston23 June 2017
Two year course for Foundation Degree. This comprised of a two year placement within a Primary School setting. Supporting students with English as an additional language. Planning activities, to ensure communication, language, personal, social and emotional development while promoting inclusion
Pros
Great team wo work with
Cons
even vast improvement is heavily criticised (creative subject)
Student (Current Employee) –  Preston22 June 2017
Most staff don't communicate well, some have a lot of trouble organizing themselves, some say things they don't mean and blame the student for doing something wrong. Technicians don't really do anything, they just sit in their office eating toast and practically shout at grown adults when asked to do their job or even a simple question. There are 2 members of staff that I believe take the brunt of the work, both have been off with stress recently. There's no work-life balance for staff or students. It doesn't matter how much you improve, staff and tutors will ALWAYS pick out something minute that could be better and make out like its the end of the world and the whole thing needs redoing.
Pros
degree at the end
Cons
everything else
Uclan
Project Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire29 March 2017
UCLAN is a nice university. It is fairly slow moving and would be ideal for somebody who would like a job that they can sink into that is not very fast paced. Work/home life balance is ideal.
Overall good conditions
Senior Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  Preston6 March 2017
Varied position with multi tasking at the core.

Some challenges with changes to funding and environment. Management detached and no support in place.

Good rates of pay and fantastic holidays.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Challenges and management issues.
Constructive supervisory team
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Preston1 February 2017
My PhD supervisor, as well as my PhD team and all the other members of staff that I worked with were very supportive in all my actions and helped me to grow both as a student and as a junior academic.
Execellent experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, UK28 January 2017
Working for UCLan has given me the confidence and the skills to apply as a Biomechanist.
The work was enjoyable, highly infectious, as are the academic faculty I have had the pleasure of working with.
I would recommend, if given the opportunity, to experience what UCLan has to offer, especially in the Centre of Applied Sports and Exercise Science (CASES) school.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
None come to mind