University of Cambridge Employee Reviews

excellent research environment
Postdoctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire11 October 2018
in the 1990s it was an exceptional place to work, i am uncertain if this remains true currently. Lovely city, can talk to work. Good colleagues, good funding.
Pros
excellent, renown university
Cons
pay wasn't as high as similar universities
great working environment with extremely complex governance structure
Contractor Snr Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge6 September 2018
Loved working for the university. Great people to work with, but typical academia, the governance structures are rather extremely complex. 31 autonomous Colleges, 6 schools and numerous Faculties and Departments. They all seem to act independently.
Pros
dealing with clever people always challenging, huge opportunities for continuous development
Cons
stepped in tradition, complex governance
Best uni in the world
Undergraduate Member of Societies Syndicate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge3 September 2018
Organised administrators, prompt emails, clear communications. Very flexible with meeting dates, very approachable staff. Nothing bad to say about my experience
Interesting place to work
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Museum of Zoology15 August 2018
I worked specifically for the University's Museum of Zoology in a varied marketing & comms role aiming to raise the profile of the Museum as it underwent a huge HLF funded refurbishment.
Pros
Met interesting people
Excellent centre for learning
Chief Secretary to the Vice-Chancellor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge2 July 2018
Working here is great if you like to be in a culturally diverse not for profit environment with like minded and well educated people.

The salary for administrative staff is low and career progression is difficult.
Pros
free training and generous holiday and sickness leave
Cons
low pay and high workload
Decent work place
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge28 June 2018
Decent work place that doesn't make you require that you do 9-5 everyday day. However late nights and weekend work are expected with no overtime or extra pay.
Pros
health and travel help
Cons
long hours, bad organisation
Amazing working environment
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire27 June 2018
International culture.
Value people.
Provide a lot of opportunities to learn more in the UK or in a foreign country.
Great place to do a PhD
Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire14 June 2018
Make sure to go out and meet as many inspiring and talented people as possible! Don't spend all your time working, that's not what makes cambridge great.
Great Place
Undergraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Cambridge4 April 2018
High workload for undergraduate students but the result is absolutely worth it! Best Part about studying at University of Cambridge is the amount of eye to eye contact with lecturers and other academics in weekly supervisions.
Studied finance.
Study Abroad (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, England20 March 2018
Studied finance and global law. Management was a former dean of a business school. Very fast-paced. Everything was enjoyable (new culture, traveling, meeting new people).
Temporary Worker
CAMbassador (Former Employee) –  Cambridge18 December 2017
I was a temporary worker for events with the University and found it to be well managed, well compensated and a good atmosphere for students to work. I can't comment on what permanent contracts would be like.
Pros
Well compensated
Cons
Event work is irregular
Hide-bound and Archaic Culture
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge11 October 2017
Working for the University of Cambridge sounds like a dream job, but far from it. The University is so in love with its long history that it seems to actively resist modern workplace practices. Its attitude to disabled staff is egregiously, dangerously muddled and old-fashioned. Avoid like the plague if you are disabled in any way. Departments simply do not cooperate and many systems in place, such as IT support or purchasing appear to be arranged solely for the convenience of those providing them, not the users. It takes weeks to get anything basic done that would take about two hours anywhere else. To add insult to injury, they pay staff approximately one spine-point equivalent less than other universities for the same role.
Pros
Limited local retail discounts
Cons
Location, Pay, Attitudes, Values, Facilities.
Productive work place
Grant (Current Employee) –  Downing Street9 October 2017
I spend most of my time in the lab, which I love it.
I work doing genotiping, PCRs and another lab technics.
I'm with a research group working with Heliconius butterflies, our work is based on the genetic basis of wing patterns, conducting crossing experiments in Panama with races of H. melpomene wich led to the cloning and identification of wing pattern genes such as optix.
This is daft
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Zoology12 May 2017
I work in one small group - I have no idea about the rest of the University.

But in my situation, I had a person disaster and my boss was just ruthless about time and money. Wouldn't give an inch.
Good place to train
Trainee Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire21 March 2017
A useful and insightful training experience. Training with one of the leading Universities in the world has been enjoyable as well as challenging. I look forward to completing the course.
Pros
Good standard of training
Doctorate researcher
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire13 February 2017
Great place to work and study. I had the chance to conduct work in very interesting projects and conduct leading-edge research.
Prestigious, high performing and inspiring
Behavioural Scientist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire25 January 2017
This is the best environment for ambitious academics to thrive, and keep all opportunities open. I have had the opportunity to grow all my centres of interests through various research projects. I learnt skills ranging from data analysis, scientific paper writing, public relations and communications, to teaching.
Fascinating collections but obtuse management
Junior Library Assistant (Grade 1) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge University Library11 January 2017
This was an interesting building to work in and I really appreciated the opportunity to work with such amazing collections. I loved that aspect of my job.

I was very motivated but ended up feeling completely demoralised. There was considerable disdain for junior members of staff. Management decisions were otiose and opaque.

I loved the specific role I eventually moved into in the library and felt that I had found my niche. This role was very varied and interesting given the collections we were dealing with and I enjoyed helping the readers who were usually very appreciative. If I had been allowed to continue in this role I probably would still be working in the library.
Pros
amazing interesting collections
Cons
management/hierarchy
great place to work
Interim HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge1 November 2016
I enjoyed working at Downing. The working environment was beautiful, calm and relaxing. My colleagues were co-operative and team work excellent. I would recommend anyone to work here
Pros
Environment, free lunches
Cons
salary
enjoyable and rewarding
chief custodian (Current Employee) –  Cambridge22 August 2016
typical day at work, opening the office and workshop.
tenants come to the office to collect parcels left by the royal mail, and any other enquiries, and report faults within their flats to myself. a general walk of site comprising of 204 individual apartments checking emergency lights, plant rooms, and corridors for breakages and faults. to assist with outside contractors, and to aid them personally around the site.to liaise with my line manager, and any other person from head office to maintain the smooth running of the accommodation apartments.
general maintenance within apartments for repairs.
hardest part of my job was letting go, when on holiday and weekends.
most enjoyable part of my job conversing with tenants from all over the world, making new friends, helping newcomers to settle in to a new city, and sorting out any maintenance issues big or small quickly :) .
Pros
on site living
Cons
living on site

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Cambridge. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2