University of Bristol Employee Reviews

All that glisters isn't gold
Project Worker (Former Employee) –  Bristol7 September 2018
Despite having plenty of money it's obvious it doesn't go on leadership and management training and development; I experienced qualities of management, engagement and culture which were far from healthy or consistent with good practice, giving a hard time to those whose face didn't fit and leading to high staff turn over and tragic wastage of talent. And this from an organisation in the press for student suicides. They've a long long way to go to gain their IIP. School report: much room for improvement. But: this was my experience, maybe yours will be different.
Pros
Nice place to work, good conditions, some good people.
Cons
Bad senior management, demanding, uncaring, intolerant work culture
Engaging and Interesting Internship
System Design Engineer Internship (Former Employee) –  University of Bristol10 September 2018
Over the summer a number of internships are offered by the university. This one was great with a good work-life balance and a sensible workload. Over the summer you develop a good relationship with your supervisor who helps you to learn and develop some of your more advanced technical skills.
Pros
Good work-life balance, good supervisor relationship
Cons
Only a short term offer
Great place to live and work, but expensive
Postgraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol7 October 2018
As a postgrad student, you won't enjoy being here. The cost of living is expensive, and the weather is horrible. The only thing that makes up for this is the lovely city, though the people are not as welcoming as other places in the UK.

The University is real nice, though wish I could say the same about the culture. The "I am better than everybody else" mentality may put some people off.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Expensive
Relaxed and productive
Carbon Fibre Machine shop technician (Former Employee) –  Bristol8 October 2018
Your pretty much free to just get on with your job, management tend to accept that you actually know what your doing and do not require their interference.

People there are genuinely respectful and there is a strong and supportive team atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible approach to work
Leading academic and research University
Postdoctoral Researcher, Aerospace Engineering (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol7 December 2018
One of the leading Universities, Bristol went from strength to strength in the last 10 years in the composites research. It hosts ACCIS, one of the largest Composites research group in the world.
Good
Chief Resident (Current Employee) –  Bristol26 September 2018
A good place to work at. Great environment, well organized, good work conditions.
The continuous training opportunities are very good and focused on personal as well as institutional needs.
Fun place to work
Peer Researcher (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 December 2018
This is an ad hoc post & has been very enjoyable since i started. The staff are supportive, I have been made to feel very involved in the project progression and I would recommend them as an employer.
Fun and friendly.
Data week administrator (Former Employee) –  The Great Hall15 August 2018
Bristol uni had reasonable hours and friendly staff, who were very helpful when a problem occurred. The work was interesting and engaging and the management were respectful and friendly
Work only for UOB students
Telephone operator (Former Employee) –  Bristol20 June 2018
Great work and good pay.
Work was only a temporary part-time job.
Free biscuits at work.
Free tea and coffee at work.
Reasonable shifts.
Paid on time.
Stimulating environment with talented people.
Post-Doctoral Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Bristol14 January 2019
Lots of exciting research and bright people ensured a productive time.
Great course in planning
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 October 2018
Studied here for my MSc. Supportive staff and a great learning environment. Would highly recommend. Course RTPI eligible and Cardiff is a beautiful city.
fastest turn-around project
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Bristol25 May 2018
- helping in organizational processes of the Open Days at the university
- speaking with visitors to identify their needs and ensure visitors satisfaction
- organising facilities and details such as location and promotional material
Cons
lack of working hours
flexible but valuable experience
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 August 2018
Very flexible job to have alongside studies. Learn to work well alongside a team. Lots of different opportunities, well organised system whereby you can sign up for the days that suit you.
Wonderful people, wish I could've stayed
Apprentice Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Bristol23 April 2018
Completed a 2 year laboratory technician apprenticeship here within the Schools of Geography and Earth Sciences.

My line manager and colleagues were lovely! Wonderful bunch of people with a great sense of humour, and they really look after you. The academics sometimes gave us practicals to set up with very little notice, but never came across anyone unpleasant in any way, shape, or form. Our manager also let us work fairly flexibly on most days (I did 8 till 4 and a colleague did 10 till 6).

While it started off a tad monotonous cataloguing all the rock specimens and thin sections, they soon had me fixing microscopes and water meters, setting up / clearing away practicals, designing help sheets, and devising their work experience programme! They even sent me to Biology, Physics, and Computer Science to get more experience!

There's also lots of choice in terms of local grub.

I couldn't recommend working for these guys enough. Only reason I didn't give 5 stars was because:
A) The work-life balance wasn't great because of the 3 hour total commute to and from Weston.
B) They didn't have the funding to keep me on (my line manager tried pretty hard to get me a job though!)
Pros
Fab people, interesting job, good food around, bit of flexibility in terms of hours
Cons
Can get a bit boring out of term time, commuting if you live further away
Placement year whilst at university
Research Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 June 2018
An interesting research-based placement. I learned a lot of new skills such as the observational behavioural coding of mother-infant interactions and wrote a report on the prevalence of antenatal depression, soon to be published in a scientific journal.
Hr
Senior Resident (Former Employee) –  Bristol25 April 2018
A buisy working environment but people are friendly and dedicated. You can take pride if your job and are rewarded by the management. It is a close knit community and sometimes feels like a family.
Enjoyable place with good teammates
Sensory assessor (Former Employee) –  Langford21 June 2018
I worked 2 mornings a week with a great team .
Everyone worked together well and communication with senior staff was always easy .
A well run department
Acceso a equipo y articulos de investigacion
Teacher assistence (Former Employee) –  Bristol, U.K26 May 2018
Es excelente el ambiente y el apoyo a estudiantes de posgrado, la ayuda para las investigaciones sirve para realizar publicaciones de los mismos estudiantes.
Pros
Acceso a equipo y experiencia docente
Cons
Es por contratos
Productive and fun workplace
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol18 January 2017
University of Bristol is a great employer, with lots of opportunities arising for career progression. The salary and work/life balance benefits are great.
Rewarding, challenging and enjoyable
Transport Manager (Projects) (Current Employee) –  Bristol7 September 2016
The University of Bristol is a very good employer, offering staff a range of benefits, including generous annual leave entitlement, good rates of pay, reputable pension scheme and flexible working. I would recommend the University of Bristol to anybody seeking employment either in Bristol or the education sector.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Bristol. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3