University of Bristol Employee Reviews

Work only for UOB students
Telephone operator (Former Employee) –  Bristol20 June 2018
Great work and good pay.
Work was only a temporary part-time job.
Free biscuits at work.
Free tea and coffee at work.
Reasonable shifts.
Paid on time.
Placement year whilst at university
Research Assistant (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 June 2018
An interesting research-based placement. I learned a lot of new skills such as the observational behavioural coding of mother-infant interactions and wrote a report on the prevalence of antenatal depression, soon to be published in a scientific journal.
Acceso a equipo y articulos de investigacion
Teacher assistence (Former Employee) –  Bristol, U.K26 May 2018
Es excelente el ambiente y el apoyo a estudiantes de posgrado, la ayuda para las investigaciones sirve para realizar publicaciones de los mismos estudiantes.
Pros
Acceso a equipo y experiencia docente
Cons
Es por contratos
fastest turn-around project
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Bristol25 May 2018
- helping in organizational processes of the Open Days at the university
- speaking with visitors to identify their needs and ensure visitors satisfaction
- organising facilities and details such as location and promotional material
Cons
lack of working hours
Hr
Senior Resident (Former Employee) –  Bristol25 April 2018
A buisy working environment but people are friendly and dedicated. You can take pride if your job and are rewarded by the management. It is a close knit community and sometimes feels like a family.
Wonderful people, wish I could've stayed
Apprentice Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Bristol23 April 2018
Completed a 2 year laboratory technician apprenticeship here within the Schools of Geography and Earth Sciences.

My line manager and colleagues were lovely! Wonderful bunch of people with a great sense of humour, and they really look after you. The academics sometimes gave us practicals to set up with very little notice, but never came across anyone unpleasant in any way, shape, or form. Our manager also let us work fairly flexibly on most days (I did 8 till 4 and a colleague did 10 till 6).

While it started off a tad monotonous cataloguing all the rock specimens and thin sections, they soon had me fixing microscopes and water meters, setting up / clearing away practicals, designing help sheets, and devising their work experience programme! They even sent me to Biology, Physics, and Computer Science to get more experience!

There's also lots of choice in terms of local grub.

I couldn't recommend working for these guys enough. Only reason I didn't give 5 stars was because:
A) The work-life balance wasn't great because of the 3 hour total commute to and from Weston.
B) They didn't have the funding to keep me on (my line manager tried pretty hard to get me a job though!)
Pros
Fab people, interesting job, good food around, bit of flexibility in terms of hours
Cons
Can get a bit boring out of term time, commuting if you live further away
Interesting
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Queen's Building9 April 2018
Fun, vibrant atmosphere especially with the presence of students. Lots of staff activities available. Lots of professional development opportunities available, which are useful.
Flexible
Green Impact Labs Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol4 February 2018
It is a part-time job. It is very flexible and my manager is very helpful and understanding. Since I first started, I received an induction including all aspects I needed to know and been there every time I needed advice.
Good working environment, but terrible job security
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol28 January 2018
Good working environment, but terrible job security. Typically a maximum of 3 years per contract. But a lot of freedom to do work that you find interesting.
Job security is an issue
Technician (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol8 December 2017
Though working here is very pleasant in many respects, job security is an issue. There are many great facilities and training opportunities and the salaries are fair
very productive
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 December 2017
Excellent place to learn and grow. Personally enjoyed working here and improving my career skills . Research is the most enjoyable part of the job. Although facilities are distributed along the university people are very cooperative and helping
good
Great workplace
Administrative Assistant (apprentice) (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 November 2017
I enjoyed working at Bristol University. There was a positive working environment, staff are friendly and helpful. There were good opportunities for career progression, and it was a most delightful and rewarding experience.
Excellent research environment
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 October 2017
The university is a great place to study for a PhD. You get to be part of a world class research group in a exciting dynamic city (although the rent can be quite expensive)
Pros
Good facilities and reputation
Cons
expensive rent and beer
Fun workplace
GCSE & A level Maths tutor (Former Employee) –  Bristol4 October 2017
Good experience in voluntary work, responsibility given in student environment. Easy to liaise with university officials and professionals around Bristol.
Muy bien
Asistente técnico (Former Employee) –  Bristol20 September 2017
Una buen ambiente para trabajar y conocer otros personas profesionales y estudiantes.
Great place to live and work, but expensive
Postgraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol6 September 2017
As a postgrad student, you won't enjoy being here. The cost of living is expensive, and the weather is horrible. The only thing that makes up for this is the lovely city, though the people are not as welcoming as other places in the UK.

The University is real nice, though wish I could say the same about the culture. The "I am better than everybody else" mentality may put some people off.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Expensive
Flexible Shift working pattern
Technician (Current Employee) –  Langport, Somerset20 July 2017
Stress less environment and flexi-time off nature plus University holidays/ closure days. Working with International students and lecturers can gain Global knowledge/ experience as well as learning some languages/customs of their country.
Pros
in house free parking space
Cons
no overtimes
Promotes critical thinking
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 June 2017
It was a great place to learn how to give and receive criticism. My mentors were the best role models and they showed me how to phrase constructive criticism.
Really Enjoyable Place to Work as a Student
International Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 April 2017
Great team in the International Office that provided high level of training. Working during the welcome weeks as an ambassador can be very rewarding and will require strong communication and teamwork skills.
Summer internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol22 March 2017
As a summer internship student I gained a lot of useful experience working in a laboratory environment working with a world leading research group. Very enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Bristol. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2