University of Bristol

University of Bristol Employee Reviews

United Kingdom94 reviews
I worked part-time in the student bar in my halls. This was an amazing opportunity to have in my first year of University and meant that I could meet more students. The work typically involved working alone, including cashing up. I most enjoyed working on formal nights as these were much busier.
Enjoyed working here, front facing role. Good team support in place, no day is the same. Flexi working offered and casual dress code. Overall a good experience
Very good place to work, enjoyed my time there.
Good means for progression.

Staff are very good to work with.

Very good surroundings to work in.

Very good health and safety rules and regulations,

The University supplies a good, safe and friendly environment to work and reside there.
Good quality of work done here with excellent supervisors. Depending on who you work for / what you do there are opportunities to work from home. Every day is different doing research.
I can confirm that the UoB is a really lovely, supportive place to work.
- Good communication, respectful work environment, good benefits. I would have stayed on if I had not had to move countries.
Not impressed at all.
Worst public sector employer and complete disregard for cash flow. Appaling meetings, excessive meetings meaning wasted man hours daily. No where near contracted hours and no family time. I would avoid this as an employer
The work requires good (verbal/written) communication skills.
I have developed my communication skills, reporting skills, event organisation, management. The working culture is collaborative and supportive. Dealing with students and organising events of their taste was the most enjoyable part of the job
I enjoy working at the summer pre-sessional courses at UoB. The staff are friendly, and the admin team is generally helpful. There is an emphasis on CPD which I appreciate. Some recent changes to the English for Academic Purposes courses have made it difficult to gauge student involvement at times. Overall, a good work place.
Everyone who works at the Uni seems to be lovely, your managers always want the best from you and push you to do the best you can, which is how it should be! My manager said it isn't always about having lots of knowledge about the department (in my instance Procurement which I knew nothing about) it's about your skills. Display the skills they request on the job description and worry about having enough experience in the department after - they are so good. If you get offered a job take it, you won't regret it! I am gutted my contract has come to an end as it honestly is the best place I have ever worked.
I loved working at Bristol University.
Everyone there was always friendly and supportive and I always got to do so many different things there. My work was always varied and interesting - from being front desk student support to building reports for management and also assisting on improving the workplace environment for all colleagues.

This was honestly one of the best jobs I ever had and I miss working there all the time
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Bristol?
Relaxed environment where you're expected to work hard but not micro-managed. Good pay and casual dress code in most departments. Little progression in current role.
Pros: very good people, competent management. Best employer I've had. Easy to prioritize your job, early morning jobs with the rest of the day off.

Cons: only 17,5 hours a week, not enough to cover living at all.
Not enough hours in a week to complete work.
Role is finance but a huge part of the job is "babysitting"

Lip service paid to mental health issues.

Good team of staff.
Bristol University is a secure environment to work, with job stability. Progression is very difficult due to high competition and difficult interviews.
High Management quite hard towards staff and with a culture to help progress only selected people.
When l am u are left alone to get on with it u got no one looking over shoulder superviser OK she pops over now & again unless u have a problem. I'm done kind of work quite a few years lm been a supervisor site manager and hk my self so they no l can work alone. We don't see mangers very offen if l need any things l ring them up they quite friendly. Good holiday and sick pay to.
Excellent for research and collaboration. Great support for PhDs from all staff. Relaxed atmosphere with other students. Plenty of opportunities for attending conferences and summer schools, along with weekly seminars and additional courses.
One of the nicest places I've ever worked, during my short time here I have never heard anyone moan about their job or colleagues.
Everyone is very helpful.
Excellent working environment and collaboration with other colleagues. I really got so much experience and had the opportunity to engage both with teaching and rsearch
The university has a relatively equal working culture. The student resource is very good. But the competition is very tough. Career promotion for academic researchers is super difficult. Working in the same position (RA, lecturer, etc.) for five to ten years without progress/promotion is very common. The management is very bureaucratic and slow response.
Insegnare a Bristol è stata un'esperienza stimolante. Prima di introdurti come tutor devi seguire dei corsi per prepararti a gestire varie eventualità che possono succedere in classe.
It is fun place to work, people are very nice but no job security. I would recommend if you have permanent job here. Bristol is lovely city to live. Bristol university overall is a nice space to work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Bristol. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3