University of Brighton Employee Reviews

Most annoying and tedious HR department ever encountered
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex26 March 2019
Please be aware that the HR department here is absolutely useless in every respect. Endless petty requests for the same information, extremely rude staff and frustrating delays with everything. They delight in exercising their petty powers and drive staff to distraction. I left my position almost immediately due to their utter incompetence.
good experience
Course Representative (Former Employee) –  Brighton13 October 2018
represented civil engineering students for my bachelors degree as a member of a course representative. Dealt with the academic board when issues arise. Was great experience and got to learn a lot
Pros
experience, good hours, fun
Cons
no cons
fun and productive workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton11 October 2018
The University of Brighton catering team was a fun place to earn some extra income during my first year of Uni. The staff were friendly and accommodating and it was fun being able to work alongside and serve my fellow students.
Pros
free food
Cons
unsociable hours
Good while studying
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton26 September 2018
i had a zero hour contract, so the uni emailed me the job opportunities and i could apply for those i was available for. great to earn some extra money while at uni. i also met a lot of fellow student while working.
Pros
Free refreshments, well paid, flexible
Cons
could go months without working
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton7 September 2018
Being a student ambassador is fun and has good pay. I enjoyed working the open days and speaking to potential students and parents about my time at university.
Great collective, good way to earn some cash
DLHE and Ask a Student caller (Former Employee) –  Brighton2 September 2018
Working in a call centre is never easy but this one was one of the best out there. The management was kind and respectful, the staff was mainly made up of students who needed to make some money after lectures. the job was well paid and the hours were reasonable.
Fun Place to work at
Academic Organiser for the School of A&D (Former Employee) –  Brighton2 September 2018
The union is mostly student lead and very progressive. The management makes sure that students in their employment are heard and paid fairly. The job is well and fairly paid. Employees are encouraged to look after themselves and not take on more than needed.
Pros
Great team
Worthwhile and rewarding experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brighton27 August 2018
This was an unpaid role that I undertook whilst at university. It is a great addition for the CV and you are able to help people and apply your legal knowledge real situations.
Relaxed and Fun.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brighton26 July 2018
Working for The University of Brighton as a Student Ambassador has allowed me to speak for my course and my University to potential students and their parents. The course leaders encourage you to speak the truth about the course, what modules you have done previously and what modules are in store for the up-coming years.

I have learned a great deal of customer service in terms of approaching people and making them feel comfortable to talk to me; this has then helped me in other aspects of my life such as my job in Savers and in every day life.

Majority of employees are students currently studying at the University therefore; the information is more relatable for consumers. Additionally, as most employees are the students, the workplace culture is so diverse and so friendly.
Pros
Days were short: usually 8am-3pm.
Cons
Could be in the week day or a weekend.
Good experience while at uni
Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex25 July 2018
Good opportunity while at university to write for a newspaper style department. a lot of different angles and approaches and good management. only problem is you do not get paid but that is fine
Pros
flexible
Cons
no pay
not a place for research
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Brighton23 March 2018
Current management favours a disposable workforce (0 hour contracts and visiting lecturers), no investment in equipment. There is investment in buildings infrastructure, for teaching.
Expect workforce contraction in the short to medium term to pay for the buildings.
Friendly relaxed place to work
Academic Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Brighton8 March 2018
I work in student services as an academic support worker and everyone is very approachable and easy going. I love my work! However it is very difficult to progress and I wonder if there is some favouritism??? Difficult to know.
Pros
Stimulating independent work
Cons
Casual, fluctuation of hours through the year
Relaxed and supportive
Admissions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Brighton8 February 2018
A great workplace with lots of opportunity to explore other jobs and increase experience within the job itself. There a sense of understanding and support within many of the different departments.
Regular volunteering
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 February 2018
As a student representative I collected information about the quality of studies and the university environment from other students. I would then represent them in meetings with lecturers and other university staff. My opinion were heard and noted. However, I am not sure how much of it was implemented, as it was my last year of studies. I was told that the ideas would be implemented for new students, so I was not sure how much of it truly was used.
Pros
Cons
spaced out meetings, feedback not always fullfilled
Very fun environment
Student Helper (Former Employee) –  Brighton21 January 2018
As a student helper, I introduced my university and courses that are available from my Brighton Business School to parents and students who are interested in knowing more. It was a great experience in boosting my confidence in communicating with people.
Pros
Interactive
Good
Early Years Student teacher (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex21 January 2018
Organised and well managed. I enjoyed my time there, motivating and inspiring. Very positive and supportive. Accommodating to students needs when ever required.
Lively Short-term Courses
EFL Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Brighton11 December 2017
General English EFL classes between 9am and 3pm teaching young international students and on occasion, teacher training adults. Focus on all main skills:- speaking, reading, writing, listening.

I learned how to work with a small team of EFL teachers creating a short programme specific to individual groups.

Management was mainly supervisory, EFL teachers had plenty of autonomy.

The hardest part of the job was that the short term courses were very intense.

The students were bright and motivated and eager to make the most of their time in the UK..
Pros
Well-paid -good hourly rate
Cons
No long term contracts, only short term courses.
Productive, Professional
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex4 December 2017
Dealing with customers face to face mostly at the till, i learned serve people quickly and politely, when they came back they always had a smile on their face. Also i learned how to work in multitask like fill up the displays, manage to take care of the coffee machines and also serve the custometers in the same time. The workplace was stick to the rules whatever it is. The hardest part of the job to handle the busy periods on the most professional ways.What i enjoyed the most that i was able to meet people, get to know new people and communicate with them daily.
Interesting and diverse place to work.
Arts Librarian (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex14 November 2017
A library involves administrative and personal skills. Working with academics and students is a constantly flexible and challenging experience but the library was a place that enabled me to continue to learn.
Pros
Good team, collaborative feel.
Cons
At times difficult deadlines from the academics.
Productive Fun Workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex2 November 2017
Working at The University of Brighton was really fun because the people you work with were realy nice and always helpful at anytime with anything it was a fun place to work, it also gave me a lot of experience. and you always see different people around. However the company it self wasn't the best with the payments and organising staff. For the payments they always had an excuse that they didn't have a copy of your passport or your NI number or something else and sometimes the payments were late but they did pay. However
a part from that over role it was a realy good job but i had to quit because they always had a problem with my payments and at the end i could only do part time and they just need for full time.
Pros
I was paid at my break time.
Cons
The work wasn't divided correctly and some did more work than others.