UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON Employee Reviews

not a place for research
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Brighton23 March 2018
Current management favours a disposable workforce (0 hour contracts and visiting lecturers), no investment in equipment. There is investment in buildings infrastructure, for teaching.
Expect workforce contraction in the short to medium term to pay for the buildings.
Relaxed and supportive
Admissions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Brighton8 February 2018
A great workplace with lots of opportunity to explore other jobs and increase experience within the job itself. There a sense of understanding and support within many of the different departments.
Regular volunteering
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 February 2018
As a student representative I collected information about the quality of studies and the university environment from other students. I would then represent them in meetings with lecturers and other university staff. My opinion were heard and noted. However, I am not sure how much of it was implemented, as it was my last year of studies. I was told that the ideas would be implemented for new students, so I was not sure how much of it truly was used.
Pros
Cons
spaced out meetings, feedback not always fullfilled
Very fun environment
Student Helper (Former Employee) –  Brighton21 January 2018
As a student helper, I introduced my university and courses that are available from my Brighton Business School to parents and students who are interested in knowing more. It was a great experience in boosting my confidence in communicating with people.
Pros
Interactive
Good
Early Years Student teacher (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex21 January 2018
Organised and well managed. I enjoyed my time there, motivating and inspiring. Very positive and supportive. Accommodating to students needs when ever required.
Productive Fun Workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex2 November 2017
Working at The University of Brighton was really fun because the people you work with were realy nice and always helpful at anytime with anything it was a fun place to work, it also gave me a lot of experience. and you always see different people around. However the company it self wasn't the best with the payments and organising staff. For the payments they always had an excuse that they didn't have a copy of your passport or your NI number or something else and sometimes the payments were late but they did pay. However
a part from that over role it was a realy good job but i had to quit because they always had a problem with my payments and at the end i could only do part time and they just need for full time.
Pros
I was paid at my break time.
Cons
The work wasn't divided correctly and some did more work than others.
Fun and flexible
Phone interviewer (Former Employee) –  Brighton15 October 2017
This work was relatively straight forward but created a fun workplace with the flexibility around your degree. It was nice to work and study in the same environment
Working at Brighton Uni
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 October 2017
A great job with little commitment alongside studies (as it was a zero hour contract). Allowed me to develop my public speaking skills as well as integrate well into the wider university community.
fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton10 September 2017
Good pay hours and people with lots of flexibility on working hours and a fun team to work along side. They provide full training and are always willing to help.
Pros
fun
Cons
temporary contracts
Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex6 September 2017
This was a great opportunity to take during my final year of studies. I was able to improve my communication skills, learn to sell a institution to applicants and help applicants with an inquiries.
Fun and easy
Student (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex27 June 2017
very easy and nice to follow, I was able to make an easy way to perform applications with my CV and it was quick and simple to follow when applying with a company
Secure, but no career prospects
Marketing Officer (Current Employee) –  Brighton18 April 2017
Full of a mix of lovely hard-working people supporting many who just coast along.

Whilst the university is ambitious it struggles to act upon its plans -
the lack of clear simple processes and siloed mentalities between departments clogs up people's time with unnecessary work and prevents any meaningful change taking place. Many of the senior managers have been in place for 20+ years.

The university is very family friendly but unfortunately, the trade-off is a poor salary and limited career progression. The lack of rewarded annual reviews/performance management also encourages many colleagues across the business to just do what's required.
Pros
Good pension, 30 days holiday after 5 years, flexible working and family friendly.
Cons
Expensive onsite food, poor salaries, no career progression opportunities, no annual review process or bonuses.
Ever changing envoirenment but Productive & Fun
Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Sprinters Restaurant Hillbrow Campus Eastbourne13 April 2017
I enjoy working at the University because the majority of the people are warm and friendly
The work can be hard and demanding but also very rewarding and satisfying
I have learned a lot while I have been working here and I will have fond mermories of the place and the people I work with
Pros
Monday to Friday
Cons
Very unpredictable what numbers you need to produce for and when and how many
Very Low Quality University
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Brighton29 November 2016
It's a typical teaching university. The School of Computing doesn't do any serious research and the support from the University is minimal. If you want to be just a lecturer is fine if you want to advance your career as a research it's a place to avoid.
Pros
Salary is good but not significant good.
Cons
Long hours of work, bad management
Fun co workers and team leader
Active pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Moulsecoomb and Bevendean27 November 2016
Supportive team leader, I love working with my fellow pharmacy sudents, I have learnt to take responsibilities of my actions and also be attentive, going out to meet elders and also their carers is so much fun as we learn about their medications and how to correct them if necessary under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist
stressful and unsupportive
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 November 2016
Over the past few years I found the University a very stressful and unsupportive place to work. I became disillusioned working with people who no longer appeared to have the focus I believed was necessary to equip students for the workplace. Many academic as more concerned about their own progression at the cost of others
Fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brighton8 November 2016
Excellent experience to be gained, awesome team to work with, perfect management, fascinating environment and we could expect more than what we have been given
Great Fun
Student (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 August 2016
It was brilliant place to go to university and was glad I chose to go there. Brilliant for students and the staff were always helpful
Student
Student ambassador (Current Employee) –  Brighton23 July 2016
Perfect University to study automotive engineering. Brighton very beautiful city with many opportunities. Many students and nice weather.
Nice working environment
Temporary Student Telephone Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Brighton9 July 2016
Good management and a strong teamwork work ethic. Typical day involves a quick update meeting before work commences and communication within the company is very good.
Pros
Good hourly rate
Cons
Repetitive nature of the job and pay is a month in arrears