UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD Employee Reviews

Cuts, Cuts and More cuts
Vice Chancellor (yeah right) (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire8 March 2019
Hard work is valued far less than "the right face".

Pressure is heaped on employees until breaking point and then the blame rests with the employee for being unable to cope.

Senior Management has little interest in the day-to-day activities and prefers to spend time on world tours, visiting India and China to "drum up" student numbers - which have yet to materialise.

Change, uncertainty and change are buzzwords are key and repeated restructures are used to bully staff into a fear of losing their jobs. This leads to a very poor working environment and tension in all areas.

That said, "most" of the staff are actually excellent people, trying their best and working very hard for ungrateful management - and being punished for their dedication - and then the same management wonders why staff don't volunteer to assist with graduation and cleaning.
Pros
most staff are excellent and friendly
Cons
SMT is very poor, staff moral is very low
Not a very good environmental for staff especially if you have a disabilities, very good with students.
Senior cleaning supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bradford25 January 2019
Job culture very poor, not a lot of support given to staff with disabilities. Don't treat staff fairly, it's a clickish working environment. Don't really think about the needs of the staff.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Don't support disable staff
fun and productive workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bradford, UK6 December 2018
• Providing information to prospective students.
• Leading campus tours and answer student questions.
• Promoting higher education and the university.
• Liaising with team members to ensure that the events run smoothly.
• Answering phone calls from students & their parents. Ensuring that the correctly information is liaised with them.
Pros
free lunches
Senior Management - poor is an understatement
Officer (Former Employee) –  Faculty29 October 2018
know for its love of restructures, and bullying culture.

Senior management have driven the university to the ground and have treated staff in a despicable manner.

Downgrading jobs, and then blaming the role holder when things go wrong.

avoid like the plague
Cons
with each new VC or Dean, comes another restructure
Brilliant
Clearing Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bradford18 October 2018
I loved the position. I learnt a lot during the training. Would definitely recommend this company to anyone. It was enjoyable and fun. Nothing difficult about it at all.
Example: Productive and fun workplaceNice place
Demonstrator/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford7 October 2018
It was nice place and all people there were friendly and helpful. The manger was perfect and was guide us to the right direction with friendly notes. city was safe place.
Fun
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bradford23 August 2018
Fun place to work, Staff are mainly students so friendly atmosphere. Customers (prospective students) always walked away happy and eager to join the university
Unbalanced working hours
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bradford1 August 2018
Friendly and professional environment but working hours on a 'first come first serve' basis among more than 100 employees. The management is reportedly trying to make sure everyone gets to work, however there are clear preferences among the courses and some scarcely get to work a single hour a month.
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bradford24 July 2018
Conducted a detailed telephone survey called Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE)
and entered information into university database.
Worked as a Student Clearing Call Handler maintained ongoing calls with potential students providing
a very good customer service.
Communicated pertinent information to potential students via phone about the University Open Days
and Offerings.
I was taking part of fun and very productive teams.
Great university
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Bradford18 July 2018
throughout my time at the university for 3 years i made positive progress and the lecturers were adaptable and lovely to speak with regarding my personal proffessional development.
Good flexible working hours and experience made available
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bradford12 June 2018
The working hours are contracted as flexible which is ideal for the university students as it allows time to focus on the course but also allow working hours to earn more money during studying whilst simultaneously providing support to the university itself with an internal workforce. Working alongside fellow students creates a friendly work culture and it also helps introduce you to new people who also study at the university. This has led to more relationship building skills along with better communication and teamwork skills. The training for the role has improved my knowledge of the university and talking to guests at events has also given me an insight on what consumers desire.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Competitive work opportunities
The Trump Administration
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Bradford25 May 2018
It was a nice place to work but all that changed when the new Vice Chancellor started sweeping everyone out and bringing in lots of new managers. A vast number of long serving dedicated staff were engineered out and things started to go wrong. Became a thankless and depressing place to work with everyone seeming to be unhappy in their work.
Pros
Good salaries
Cons
Poor leadership
Fantastic opportunities
CRM Officer (Current Employee) –  Bradford18 January 2018
This has been an absolutely fantastic place to work where I have been able to work to my full potential. The opportunity to develop through hard work and dedication is recognised. I have enjoyed my time here hugely and has given me a direction in my career.
Pros
Flexible working
Fun
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire12 January 2018
Not really given the chance to do many hours. Regardless of how fast you respond to job ads. Can't be considered a part time job. First come first served not accurate
Productive, knowledgeable and fun environment to work in.
Governance and Projects Officer (Former Employee) –  Bradford14 December 2017
Good pay, benefits access to on site car park (fee), reduced fee membership of gym,
On site coffee/catering outlets.

Good employer, allows flexibility of working to support caring responsibilites, promotes further education and continued development of employees. Supported my degree studies part time alongside work and helped me to gain promotion to other roles.
Great colleagues.

Assistance with degree ceremonies as VIP guest steward was voluntary role but very rewarding watching graduands walk across the stage and collect their degrees.
Pros
Free lunch when working as guest steward
Cons
Longer working hours
Professional and productive work environment
Architect and Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire5 December 2017
The internship has been very important giving me the possibility firstly to adapt myself to the english work environment and secondary to develop my skills in teamworking and communication.
Great workplace
IT Service desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bradford16 November 2017
Good place to work. Have been here for about three years and it is quite a relaxed environment. Recent restructure has left a lot of changes and mixed feelings about this.
productive, fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bradford7 November 2017
-A productive workplace, where the management was good.
-Learnt new skills
-Good workplace culture and the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with students and visitors.
Nice place
SITS support offucer (Former Employee) –  Bradford7 November 2017
Friendly staff and a good work environment. I enjoyed my time there. The university is easy to access by public transport and there is an on site car park that you can pay for a permit for.
Dealing with students
Exams, Assessments and Awards (Current Employee) –  Bradford3 October 2017
I enjoy meeting students, giving advice and support, a typical day is very busy and pressuring. High volume of exams and work on a daily basis. I have learned so much through the years, how to deal with pressure and to remain calm at such stressful peak times of the year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD. Our community is ready to answer.

UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD Reviews by Location