UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD

UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD Employee Reviews

United Kingdom95 reviews
Productive and fun place to work
Fun place to work
good salary

good worklife balance

opportunity to learn

good support

everyday seems interesting and new

very productive and positive learning environment
Perfect example of UK University that should be closed
My personal working experience over 29 years was generally fine.
I was reasonably well paid and do not feel I have suffered from exposure

to that which I shall describe.

However I witnessed the emergence of a bullying culture and an intimidated

academic workforce except for those co opted into gauleiter roles to

do the bullying (which includes the over expanded army of HR staff)

Since 2015 the University declined into a project of bullying and

poor provision to students in order to siphon off profits from the

deprived areas to fund the quixotic pursuit of establishing a medical

school which, of course, failed. Money has been wasted in building projects.

Investigations of complaints of bullying were not fairly and properly investigated . In my opinion, some staff could have sued for corporate

negligence given the level of impact on their mental health by the unwillingness to investigate certain managers who were allowed to continue

even when their activities were palpably dangerous.

There were also several time wasting bogus 'trojan horse' restructurings

carried out to evict staff opposed to the project and further increase

profits, for diversion, by ensuring a skeletal level of inexperienced

staff could fob off the students with 'Karaoke powepoint'

courses.

Prior to the worsening of the culture, this had already become an

'Aldi style' university where provision was only of that which turned enough profit under the staffing regime. So, it drifted to the point where hardly any traditional 'A' level subjects had degree provision and there were very few
 - more...
constant restructures
Firm constantly trying to cut costs/salaries by re-wording job specifications but staff do the same/more than before. Experienced staff leave after every re-structure leaving non-experienced staff to struggle.
Pros
staff can apply to do degrees for free
Cons
constant fear of more job/salary cuts
My time at University of Bradford
Although I was only there for a six month contract, I really enjoyed my time there and met some lovely people. The job was challenging but rewarding; the management were great and I learned so much about HE.
Not used to structured project managment
International project was amazing, culture amongst academic side not professional side made it 'very' difficult to deliver.

I would love to work in an HE progressive environment again, but unfortunately Bradford has a very limited out look due to its size and location I think.
Productive and a very good place to work
It is a very good place to work, specifically as it provides a lot of opportunities to thrive and succeed in chosen field of endeavour. I will definitely recommend University of Bradford to friends
Not all together there with their managers
My experience as an employee for 9 years has been pretty poor. There is a lot of lip service from management and very little substance. It is apparent that the University will never be what it wants to be (or often professes to be), until the culture of the management and workers changes. Poor experience all round, but expectations are high for staff to smile through it all.
bradford
I have nothing to convey here. Again , please do not impose this. I have nothing to convey and it is not appropriate that you make it mandatory that i have to submit a review prior to completing on my profile
Productive and organised
All the concerns that we had were listened to and taken into account. We also came together to try to find solutions for the concerns of students. The solutions were then put into action as quick as possible.
Does not have the computer facilities to teach Engineering
No access to computers with a compiler, no access to parallel computers. The only computer facilities available are pc's running other peoples commercial software.
good
nice friendly people. really nice place to work at. you achieve anything there if you set your mind to it. so please do apply they will train you well
Horrendous culture amongst senior staff and academics
There was a culture of bullying. Members of staff who had been there long term were deliberately obstructive and a number of senior academics were arrogant, rude, bullying and aggressive. Horrendous culture which seemingly was allowed to perpetuate. In a normal business environment these people would have been hauled in front of an employment tribunal.
Productive and good atmosphere
Good culture, come together when dealing with effective raising issues and celebrate with away days after the hard work that goes into making our students successful.
Cons
Used to be a great university and great employer
Used to be a great university and a great
Employers. Not any more. Always Room for improvement.

In job security

Leadership and management

Service and delivery
Good place full of good people
Very good place, multicultural and low cost of living. Most of my experiences are positive despite some bad reputation spread by media (as they prone to do sometime). Good place with full of good people, but definitely need some improvement in senior management.
Cuts, Cuts and More cuts
Hard work is valued far less than "the right face".

Pressure is heaped on employees until breaking point and then the blame rests with the employee for being unable to cope.

Senior Management has little interest in the day-to-day activities and prefers to spend time on world tours, visiting India and China to "drum up" student numbers - which have yet to materialise.

Change, uncertainty and change are buzzwords are key and repeated restructures are used to bully staff into a fear of losing their jobs. This leads to a very poor working environment and tension in all areas.

That said, "most" of the staff are actually excellent people, trying their best and working very hard for ungrateful management - and being punished for their dedication - and then the same management wonders why staff don't volunteer to assist with graduation and cleaning.
Pros
most staff are excellent and friendly
Cons
SMT is very poor, staff moral is very low
Not a very good environmental for staff especially if you have a disabilities, very good with students.
Job culture very poor, not a lot of support given to staff with disabilities. Don't treat staff fairly, it's a clickish working environment. Don't really think about the needs of the staff.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Don't support disable staff
Great working life balance and pay
University offers great work/life balance for staff with Families. The University has been affected by numerous re-structures which have had a negative impact on the student experience and staff moral.
Pros
Great working life balance and pay
Cons
Staff moral very low
fun and productive workplace
• Providing information to prospective students.
• Leading campus tours and answer student questions.

• Promoting higher education and the university.

• Liaising with team members to ensure that the events run smoothly.

• Answering phone calls from students & their parents. Ensuring that the correctly information is liaised with them.
Pros
free lunches
Senior Management - poor is an understatement
know for its love of restructures, and bullying culture.

Senior management have driven the university to the ground and have treated staff in a despicable manner.

Downgrading jobs, and then blaming the role holder when things go wrong.

avoid like the plague
Cons
with each new VC or Dean, comes another restructure
Brilliant
I loved the position. I learnt a lot during the training. Would definitely recommend this company to anyone. It was enjoyable and fun. Nothing difficult about it at all.