University of Birmingham

University of Birmingham Employee Reviews

United Kingdom176 reviews
Lovely place of work
Backdated offices, but nice friendly people. Lacking training facilities. On-site costa, spar very handy. Beautiful scenic views. Manager needs to be more proactive.
Good place for professional growth
The University of Birmingham has offered me the perfect environment to develop my research and teaching skills. Working in the Department of Modern Languages is challenging yet rewarding.
Productive and Fun workplace
Nice environment, possibility to meet international people. Nice University with very valid Professors and services. Laboratories and all the facilities are available to do very good research.
Excellent workplace
Great place to work with a decent salary and supportive team. The work is always challenging which is what makes the job interesting. Everyone working there is friendly and welcoming.
Appallingly managed employment system
The University of Birmingham's employment system 'Worklink' is one of the most ineffective schemes I have ever come across. Ultimately this boils down to a confused and hopelessly convoluted computer finance system 'New Core', which leaves the Worklink team helpless in the face of mass numbers of employees not receiving pay and taking months to set up new roles. If this were taking place in any major non-university institution there would be uproar, however as the majority of people affected are students and temporary workers, this is given little priority.
I was a student at this university
I was a student at this university. I got the Chevening scholarship hence proceeded for studies at the University of Birmingham.
I never worked at this university.
Great place to work, but not the most exciting
Overall it's quite a laid back culture. A lot of people are attracted to work here because of the job security, good pension, and flexible working. There's a lot to love about working here, including the beautiful campus; however, everything feels quite slow paced (requests take weeks or months rather than days or hours) which is great for a low-pressured working environment but frustrating when you want something done. There's lots of opportunities to move around within the university. Good transport links with on campus parking, train station, and bus stops. I enjoy my time at UoB and would happily recommend others to work here.
Very competitive and negative environment
In my experience working at UoB was a negative one. Competition was fierce and I was expected to work 24/7 (ideally), but with no acknowledgement of the time and effort put in. There is a lot of corruption going on here, unfortunately this is the case across the UK academic institutions and UoB is no exception. The pay scale for academics is very good.
Pros
salary
Cons
not a friendly environment
Job role
• Mentored 15 students on the Selly Oak Project 2019 for Touchbase-Sense.
• Implemented new business strategies which improved the profitability of the business.

• Led a campaign event for Touch Base-Sense to encourage more programmes to help young children.
Great place to work, flexible working arrangement, great work colleagues. Can be frustrating at times but the pace of work is just right but can get busy depending on time of year.
Brilliant number of holidays no other organisation can compete with unless its another uni.

Would recommend...
good place
Very good place but some administration can make people crazy... Except for that, perfect, very good environment, very well equipped. Lucky to work here.
Ambiente de trabajo relajado
Ambiente de trabajo relajado con alta flexibilidad horaria.
School of Education
I was a programme administrator in the Programmes Office, School of Education.

The two grade 6 managers in there rule the place with an iron fist and stifle the productivity of their programme admins.

The sooner the two of them retire the better. Senior management/ learning and teaching manager doesn't realise how low morale is and how well we work when we're just left to it.

The two of them are a blockage in the chain of command and stop things being reported to academics and real senior management.
Good
Professional, developmental, collegial, relaxed, very nice. I would include more team building. Overall a good experience. I hope to continue my career there again.
productive and good environment to work in.
Enjoyed working with different group of customers. Making them feel welcome and comfortable. I learned that sometimes work finishes very fast because I was enjoying what I was doing. The one thing I did not enjoy about the job is the managers who were supposed to know what was happening in the security section. Unfortunately the management team were really out of focus in their own fields. I really enjoyed working with my team of security officers and the company of my colleagues were like my family. I really enjoyed the workplace culture.
Staff are not the best
I was very happy working here amongst the staff it was a friendly upbeat environment. With everybody helping one another.
Except

The assistant manager has let the job role get to her head!

Be careful if you are more than capable then them they won’t be happy!
Great place
Excellent place to work and some lovely people, I can highly recommend the great work life balance.

For such a big organisation it’s great to feel your not a small cog in a big wheel and your views are actually listened to.
Very impressive University with high standard of teaching
Very impressive University with high standard of teaching
I would highly recommend this impressive university, especially the Computer Science department.
Horrible place to work.
Where do I begin, working as a cleaner for cleaning services in the university of Birmingham is unreal the biggest clowns are the cowboy management they talk down to you at any opportunity treat you like a machine and have no care or thought about you what so ever you would be lucky to even get a good morning out of them. The place is an absolute joke they water down bioshield a cleaning product to clean the toilets and in doing so make it unless in cleaning the toilet, and the amount of times I've asked for new items such as mops and other products I might as well keep banging my head against the brick wall.
Their are two females managers of cleaning services that are just vile in every way, if you work for cleaning service I'm sure you all know who they are.

Avoid this place like the plague!
Pros
Cons
way to many to mention!
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the university.
I worked for the university as a contractor for a nine month period. I was presented with interesting and challenging projects and thoroughly enjoyed my time here.
Good people, terrible management
Some lovely people to work with, but upper echelons of management are terrible. .culture of fear, upper management treat techs like serfs or idiots. Very large gap between those who work and those who talk about it
Pros
Masochist delight
Cons
No support when needed. Provide own stab proof vest on back
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.
University of Birmingham Reviews by Location