University of Birmingham Employee Reviews

Good Student Environment
Student Cleaning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 June 2018
Nice place to be, lots of new experiences both professional and personal.
Supportive and friendly environment
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chemistry Department28 May 2018
Working as a student ambassador was very relaxed and it was easy to balance with my studies. On a typical day, I would meet and greet parents and students to then take them on a tour of the university campus and accommodation.
A solid academic research institution
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 May 2018
For a researcher, the connection to the wider research community can be lacking somewhat. There is a tendency for people to operate in their own silos and to share ideas less than in other institutions. As with academia as a whole, where there is so much competition, the job security/progression can be a dead end.

However, the expertise there is very high, the campus community is welcoming, and the pay was good. Birmingham is a very livable and lively city!
Pros
Beautiful campus, great fitness facilities
Cons
Ageing equipment, too much bureaucracy
Inspirational
Student priest (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 May 2018
Nice environment, assisting one to actualise his potentials. The studednts and the team of other professionals are always disposed to accommodate the team spirit to achieve the desired goal, which has been character and intellectual formation.
Good pay and decent work hours
Physics Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham6 May 2018
Only frequent work for me was on a wednesday, meaning I had a nice balance of a little bit of work while still focusing on my degree. Good pay as well.
Pros
Free Lunch
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham9 April 2018
Bosses were a family and looked out for employees with families. It was a fun place to work and everyone worked well together. If you need time off for any reason it was granted and holidays were granted when requested.
Pros
A lot of things.
Cons
The company no longer exists.
Clinical Academic Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham4 April 2018
People are great. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Good salaries. Nice environment. My role is very rewarding and I have had lots of freedom in how it has developed. I feel part of a very forward-thinking, prestigious university.
Pros
Great people, lots of opportunities
Cons
Parking
You learn a lot and I had fun working everyday
Cleaning Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands30 March 2018
Very nice company and I love working there to be honest great people and workers too. Have some training, holiday pay for 45 days and I am very happy part of working in the company.
Relaxed atmosphere
Full Time Researcher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 March 2018
Great place to work for, give plenty of provisions for students to be flexible with their time and studies. The skillsets I've acquired have helped me come a long way
Exciting and growing University
PA to the Director of Operations College of EPS (Current Employee) –  Birmingham9 March 2018
Working at the University is a very different culture to any other sector.

A dynamic and diverse environment which is easy to embrace.

Beautiful campus with a very interesting history.
great
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom6 March 2018
The job was interesting but challenging. There is the opportunity for training and development. Great people and great environment makes for a good experience.
High academic quality but poor management from the university
PhD Research Student (Current Employee) –  Birmingham22 February 2018
The research group and research environment is very high quality. However, the central administration and university leadership are incompetent, disconnected and overpaid.
Pros
Excellent academic standards and research
Cons
incompetent and unconcerned central administration
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 February 2018
Great place to work, friendly staff
Flexible working hours
Great atmosphere
I was part of the temping staff so managed to work in a few different departments during my time working there. I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
was a great place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 February 2018
due to changes in the management .i.e. bringing in managers from other departments who have no idea about security. the section has been going down ever since . morel is so low now absenteeism is a huge problem. many very good officers left when the new changes were introduced . managers do not listen to concerns. section ruined . enough said
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
bad management all the way to the top
fun place
Reception assistant in the Guild of student (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 January 2018
I was responsible for receiving students, staffs, and visitors at the front desk by greeting, welcoming, directing and announcing them appropriately, I also answered screening and forwarding incoming phone calls. Moreover, I helped to receive, sort and deliver daily mails to different departments in the guild of student. During this job, I gained the organizational skills, I effectively built multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks. I also strengthened my communication skills to be more concise and to the point.
Great job
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 January 2018
Absolutely loved working for the Guild of Students whilst being a student myself. The work was very challenging but also very rewarding. I learnt many skills, including patient, understanding and communicational.
Pros
Great team, brilliant management
Cons
Work was quite difficult and often challenging
Management bullying and a lack of development
Administrator (Former Employee) –  University of Birmingham31 December 2017
The University has gone from a fantastic, motivating and warm environment to an unpleasant place to work. There is a nasty culture of management bullying and age discrimination practiced at this institution..

The supportive environment students are used to is being replaced by a generic and inefficient service with top heavy management who refuse to listen. If you voice concerns you are labelled a trouble maker and experienced staff are demoted and phased out.
Pros
Good annual leave allowance
Cons
There are no promotional opportunities for older staff.
Not for me
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 November 2017
I liked the people there that I worked with. But the rest of the job I just did not enjoy and the pattern was getting too much. I had to leave for my own good
Pros
People/ Comunity
Cons
Very early starts. Didn't know how you were doing on the job. Messed up my health and wellbeing.
great
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 October 2017
loved working their loved the kitchen staff great head chef taught me the ropes of how a professional kitchen runs and operates .
all in all its a great stater course for someone who want to get into catering our wants to be chef .
community spirit
Programme Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 October 2017
Can be exceptionally busy at certain times of year. The UOB is like working in its own town. Students can be very trying at times but can also be wonderful to work with, with different cultures etc. Deadlines can be difficult at times particularly during exam time and a good relationship with the academic staff is essential. The camaraderie can be wonderful. Though at times workloads can be unbalanced between staff which should be monitored more carefully.
Pros
good academic colleagues
Cons
workloads can be unbalanced between staff