University of Birmingham Employee Reviews

Good Job, Let Down by Bullying
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 January 2019
I really enjoyed my working hours here, and team members were lovely. Unfortunately I had an experience of bullying from my team leader, setting me up to fail and bullying me based on my disability. Became so anxious to come to work, I ended up having to raise a grievance with HR. HR and Unison were fantastic. Unfortunately I couldn't stay after the grievance process was over, as my employee experience was ruined and my wellbeing affected.
Pros
Working hours, colleagues, environment
Cons
Bullying, management
Professional place to work with wide social network
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham31 October 2018
The university of Birmingham is familiar to me where I have been a studant between 2017-2018, which I have got my MSc degree in food safety , hygiene and management with distinction level.In addition to that I have got an opportunity to continue my MSc project at school of chemical engendering in the university of Birmingham as research assistant.
An interesting place to work.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham20 August 2018
As a PA, I had a lot of computer work & liaising with other departments to do.
I learned about working within a large team,
The management & work place culture were surprisingly quite relaxed.
There wasn't really any part of the job that was particularly difficult.
I enjoyed meeting lots of different people & having to visit different areas of the university.
Pros
The varied responsibilities.
Cons
Relatively low pay.
A good and robust centre for education
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of Government & Society8 January 2019
Is on par with most universities within the UK. There are many challenges ahead for Higher Education, especially with Brexit looming but UoB seem to have taken this on board.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Too much management
Working as a teacher assistant
Postgraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of EESE13 November 2018
It has been a great opportunity to work as a Postgraduate Teaching assistant as the University of Birmingham. I achieved various skills such as leadership, motivating and problem solving.
productive & fun work place
accounts administrator (Former Employee) –  university of Birmingham10 December 2018
friendly atmosphere, meet lots of people from different backgrounds, interesting job, learn different skills, cover for other members of staff while they were on holiday
Pros
flexible working hours
Good Place to work
Estates Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 November 2018
Good place to work, nice friendly environment and relaxed atmosphere. You are trusted to get on with your work. Good scope and wide variety of work, supported by colleagues.
Pros
Good Enviroment
Cons
bureaucratic at times
Postdoctoral research fellow
Energy storage research fellow (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 November 2018
University of Birmingham has a great campus where you can have enough books and foods. However living in Birmingham is not the best idea due to its location and number of racism.
good work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham16 October 2018
It is a nice university with many people doing excellent research. I was very welcomed here. I could develop my independent research projects, and participate in several important training sessions.
n/a
International Student Advisory Service (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 June 2018
As University of Birmingham is one of the prominent universities in the region, it does attract a lot of home and overseas students. Due to large number of students, some departments are short on staff. I have noticed young employees tend to work in UOB for a few years just to get valuable experience and then find a different work.
attending the PGDipEd course
ITT student (Current Employee) –  School of Education5 October 2018
N/A as I was attending the university as a student rather than an employee. I would consider seeking employment at the University in the future due to the environment and access to departments.
Decent place to do small group teaching
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 October 2018
I was a teaching assistant whilst doing my postgraduate degree. A all round good experience that was well worth doing. The pay was adequate for most tasks.
A solid academic research institution
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 May 2018
For a researcher, the connection to the wider research community can be lacking somewhat. There is a tendency for people to operate in their own silos and to share ideas less than in other institutions. As with academia as a whole, where there is so much competition, the job security/progression can be a dead end.

However, the expertise there is very high, the campus community is welcoming, and the pay was good. Birmingham is a very livable and lively city!
Pros
Beautiful campus, great fitness facilities
Cons
Ageing equipment, too much bureaucracy
amazing
Student Nursing Internship (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK12 December 2018
this is a really amazing university and everyone is blessed to work there. there are so many opportunities and they help you with any needs that you have
Great Student Job
Global Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 June 2018
As a student, this job was perfect as it was located on campus and management were extremely understanding of other time commitments, such as our degree. Hours were flexible and the work was interesting, especially regarding increasing update in the international year abroad programme.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Hours were irregular
Great pay
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 August 2018
Really good pay and can work with some great people. The place itself is in a really nice part of Birmingham as it surrounded by greenery. Great views and nice people.
Pros
Cons
Busy
Supportive and friendly environment
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chemistry Department28 May 2018
Working as a student ambassador was very relaxed and it was easy to balance with my studies. On a typical day, I would meet and greet parents and students to then take them on a tour of the university campus and accommodation.
Decent
Food and Beverage Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham23 July 2018
Decent place to work, friendly staff and good pay, contrasted by the amount of hours acctually working and availibility of shifts. Work is easy enough.
Inspirational
Student priest (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands9 May 2018
Nice environment, assisting one to actualise his potentials. The studednts and the team of other professionals are always disposed to accommodate the team spirit to achieve the desired goal, which has been character and intellectual formation.
Clinical Academic Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham4 April 2018
People are great. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Good salaries. Nice environment. My role is very rewarding and I have had lots of freedom in how it has developed. I feel part of a very forward-thinking, prestigious university.
Pros
Great people, lots of opportunities
Cons
Parking