University of Birmingham Employee Reviews

Clinical Academic Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham4 April 2018
People are great. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Good salaries. Nice environment. My role is very rewarding and I have had lots of freedom in how it has developed. I feel part of a very forward-thinking, prestigious university.
Pros
Great people, lots of opportunities
Cons
Parking
You learn a lot and I had fun working everyday
Cleaning Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands30 March 2018
Very nice company and I love working there to be honest great people and workers too. Have some training, holiday pay for 45 days and I am very happy part of working in the company.
Relaxed atmosphere
Full Time Researcher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 March 2018
Great place to work for, give plenty of provisions for students to be flexible with their time and studies. The skillsets I've acquired have helped me come a long way
Exciting and growing University
PA to the Director of Operations College of EPS (Current Employee) –  Birmingham9 March 2018
Working at the University is a very different culture to any other sector.

A dynamic and diverse environment which is easy to embrace.

Beautiful campus with a very interesting history.
great
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom6 March 2018
The job was interesting but challenging. There is the opportunity for training and development. Great people and great environment makes for a good experience.
High academic quality but poor management from the university
PhD Research Student (Current Employee) –  Birmingham22 February 2018
The research group and research environment is very high quality. However, the central administration and university leadership are incompetent, disconnected and overpaid.
Pros
Excellent academic standards and research
Cons
incompetent and unconcerned central administration
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 February 2018
Great place to work, friendly staff
Flexible working hours
Great atmosphere
I was part of the temping staff so managed to work in a few different departments during my time working there. I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
was a great place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 February 2018
due to changes in the management .i.e. bringing in managers from other departments who have no idea about security. the section has been going down ever since . morel is so low now absenteeism is a huge problem. many very good officers left when the new changes were introduced . managers do not listen to concerns. section ruined . enough said
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
bad management all the way to the top
fun place
Reception assistant in the Guild of student (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 January 2018
I was responsible for receiving students, staffs, and visitors at the front desk by greeting, welcoming, directing and announcing them appropriately, I also answered screening and forwarding incoming phone calls. Moreover, I helped to receive, sort and deliver daily mails to different departments in the guild of student. During this job, I gained the organizational skills, I effectively built multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks. I also strengthened my communication skills to be more concise and to the point.
Great job
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 January 2018
Absolutely loved working for the Guild of Students whilst being a student myself. The work was very challenging but also very rewarding. I learnt many skills, including patient, understanding and communicational.
Pros
Great team, brilliant management
Cons
Work was quite difficult and often challenging

Want to know more about University of Birmingham?

Ask a question
Management bullying and a lack of development
Administrator (Former Employee) –  University of Birmingham31 December 2017
The University has gone from a fantastic, motivating and warm environment to an unpleasant place to work. There is a nasty culture of management bullying and age discrimination practiced at this institution..

The supportive environment students are used to is being replaced by a generic and inefficient service with top heavy management who refuse to listen. If you voice concerns you are labelled a trouble maker and experienced staff are demoted and phased out.
Pros
Good annual leave allowance
Cons
There are no promotional opportunities for older staff.
Not for me
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 November 2017
I liked the people there that I worked with. But the rest of the job I just did not enjoy and the pattern was getting too much. I had to leave for my own good
Pros
People/ Comunity
Cons
Very early starts. Didn't know how you were doing on the job. Messed up my health and wellbeing.
great
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 October 2017
loved working their loved the kitchen staff great head chef taught me the ropes of how a professional kitchen runs and operates .
all in all its a great stater course for someone who want to get into catering our wants to be chef .
community spirit
Programme Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 October 2017
Can be exceptionally busy at certain times of year. The UOB is like working in its own town. Students can be very trying at times but can also be wonderful to work with, with different cultures etc. Deadlines can be difficult at times particularly during exam time and a good relationship with the academic staff is essential. The camaraderie can be wonderful. Though at times workloads can be unbalanced between staff which should be monitored more carefully.
Pros
good academic colleagues
Cons
workloads can be unbalanced between staff
Fun workplace
Senior Security Assistant/ Door Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 September 2017
Working as a security assistant at the University of Birmingham was a fun team to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team and dealing with an issue quickly and efficiently.
Good work ethic
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 August 2017
Very flexible, zero hour contract so can choose what shifts to take depending on your studies at the time.

Good training to make you feel comfortable in the role.
Pros
Free lunches
productive
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 August 2017
I gained the confidence to meet new people and explore different characters and cultures. I have been given many opportunities to expand my knowledge, particularly on diversity, which I was most keen to utilize.
Good money, but hard to get work hours
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 August 2017
Paid very well at nearly £10 an hour but there are so many workers on the list that it is very difficult to get hours some times. When working the staff were nice and work environments was good.
Cooperation and good communications
PhD Research Student (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 August 2017
Overall good experiences have been gained. Good environments for study and excellent cooperation for research.

Good teaching opportunity in tutorial and labs were given for the PhD students t enhance their abilities.
As a student
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Edgbastion, UK4 August 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a student at UoB and was challenged throughout by the professors and my peers. The course work was on target preparing me to work in my given field and setting me apart through the courses and exposures I had.