University of Birmingham Employee Reviews

community spirit
Programme Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 October 2017
Can be exceptionally busy at certain times of year. The UOB is like working in its own town. Students can be very trying at times but can also be wonderful to work with, with different cultures etc. Deadlines can be difficult at times particularly during exam time and a good relationship with the academic staff is essential. The camaraderie can be wonderful. Though at times workloads can be unbalanced between staff which should be monitored more carefully.
Pros
good academic colleagues
Cons
workloads can be unbalanced between staff
Fun workplace
Senior Security Assistant/ Door Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 September 2017
Working as a security assistant at the University of Birmingham was a fun team to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team and dealing with an issue quickly and efficiently.
Good work ethic
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 August 2017
Very flexible, zero hour contract so can choose what shifts to take depending on your studies at the time.

Good training to make you feel comfortable in the role.
Pros
Free lunches
Good money, but hard to get work hours
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 August 2017
Paid very well at nearly £10 an hour but there are so many workers on the list that it is very difficult to get hours some times. When working the staff were nice and work environments was good.
Cooperation and good communications
PhD Research Student (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 August 2017
Overall good experiences have been gained. Good environments for study and excellent cooperation for research.

Good teaching opportunity in tutorial and labs were given for the PhD students t enhance their abilities.
As a student
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Edgbastion, UK4 August 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a student at UoB and was challenged throughout by the professors and my peers. The course work was on target preparing me to work in my given field and setting me apart through the courses and exposures I had.
Good Workplace
Teaching Associat (Former Employee) –  Arts Building18 July 2017
Teaching History seminar modules for first-year undergraduates. Involved small group teaching, academic writing sessions, administration, feedback and essay marking. Also ran a Research Methods and Dissertation Supervision module for second-year History students, running academic writing workshops and tutorials.
Junior Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham14 July 2017
Enjoyed working here in a relaxed yet focused environment. I liked the management which gave me freedom to get on with my work without micro management.
My Project
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Chemical Engineering10 July 2017
The project I am doing at the university of Birmingham is engaging, leading to a personal enrichment as well as a professional growth. I would recommend it as a work place.
lovely workplace environment
General Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 July 2017
Although it was just a work experience I was made to immediately feel as part of the team. The university of Birmingham is a great place to work with multiple progression opportunities.
One of the best Universities in United Kingdom
Designing of Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy Controller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham UK2 July 2017
I was a student in Univeristy of Birmingham. It has a very friendly environment. It has very high end educational eqiupments. Regarding group project and individual project, since the Univeristy professors are among the best and all facilities for studying is available, students do their projects with the best outcome.
good job progression opportunities
Sales (Current Employee) –  Edgbaston, West Midlands28 June 2017
Good opportunity to progress, employee benefits are good, especially holiday and annual leave entitlement. Good structured organisation, enjoyable atmosphere.
Ok to work for
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 June 2017
Some areas are a little disorganised but overall not bad, though could be much better. There are many departments so some are run better than others. Some processes are very slow. Its expensive to eat and drink there especially considering most of the population is made up of students on very little money.
Pros
40 days holiday
Cons
Disorganised
Varied across campus
Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 June 2017
Busy, varied, long hours, opportunities to move within the organisation, various training opportunities, global opportunities in a global environment.
Fun workplace
Student Rep (Current Employee) –  Birmingham1 June 2017
I am working as the student rep and senior student rep for my school during my postgraduate studies. At this position working with the University and managing meetings with the teachers to resolve student co hart issues and proving them best solutions for their problems.
Pros
Free Lunch during meetings
open & friendly
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Birmingham1 June 2017
This was an open and friendly university to work at, with incredibly good facilities for solid state chemistry. The university wide support and admin was somewhat poor at times.
Busy environment.
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK15 May 2017
Good annual leave package. Can be made redundant at any time. No loyalty to staff. Too many managers. No prospects. Nice colleagues and diversity.
Pros
Lovely academic staff and students
Cons
Too many bullies
Productive and Fun
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 April 2017
Being a student rep, I need to take care of my student cohart, raise their problems to the officials. As I am the international student I met with the new people.
Great place to learn!
Biostatistician and epidemiologist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, UK12 April 2017
Good environment with great people. A fantastic place to learn and grow for those who are serious about their work and studies. One of the best places to work at.
Prestigious
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 April 2017
Prestigious, demanding, keen to develop staff, forward thinking, European and international-focused, teaching-load in the arts is very demanding and time consuming for junior staff.