University of Bath Employee Reviews

drowning in beaurocracy and corruption
Building Maintenance Officer (Former Employee) –  Bath8 September 2018
Micro managers obstructing efficiency, lifers refusing to do anything, a shambles in every sense! wasted talents, wasted money, and puppets running the show
Pros
salary
Cons
everything else
Fun place to work
Conferences and Events Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath14 August 2018
This was a good place to work and the team I worked with were very inclusive and understanding, especially when working weekends as many of the events were held over the weekends.
Inclusive and engaging work environment.
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset28 June 2018
I was extremely lucky to work with the School of Management at the University of Bath, even for a short period of time. All members of the department that I interacted with were welcoming, inclusive, and always happy to help with any questions or queries.
A typical day as a receptionist/administrator involved mail organisation, both incoming and outgoing, for the building. I would also often be tasked with a number of PA responsibilities for some of the academic staff, which included calendar and expense management, in addition to working alongside different teams within the department to complete daily operations. The workplace culture was relaxed but still productive, with an understanding that flexibility was welcome, as long as work was completed to a high standard.
Pros
Opportunity to work with a number of teams within the department.
Cons
Very quiet at times due to the holiday period.
Flexible, good benefits
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset27 February 2018
Friendly students and supportive staff,
Great opportunities for future development and career prospects,
Additional learning opportunities and training.
Lab Assistants
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset21 December 2017
The reason these jobs are advertised so often is there is zero advancement or training, they will claim people move on to better jobs because of the excellent training they give this is rubbish, everyone moves on because the line manager is a bully and has zero man management skills. There has been many complaints made about them to HR but it's always brushed under the carpet. Avoid at all costs, better experience and training can be gained in the same role at a a school
Pros
Can be term time only
Cons
Line manager
Fun workplace with good social benefits
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset24 September 2017
Student ambassadors take prospective students on tours and discuss the pros of university life and what it is like to be a student at the university.
It helps to develop communication and teamwork skills.
It is a very social role with the opportunity to meet lots of different people.
A supportive academic community
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset12 July 2017
I'm proud to say I worked here. While academic research is inherently self-motivated, I couldn't have done it without our fantastic IT services, library and of course my immediate colleagues. Being able to collaborate with other departments, both within the University and in other institutions, was what allowed me to get those high-impact publications. The opportunity to present my work at international conferences was the hardest but also most rewarding part of the job. Main downsides are lack of job security - as is standard in this line of work - and management's failure to listen at times.
Kind and considerate
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  University of Bath1 June 2017
The University of Bath in undoubtedly a very kind employer. Flexible and considerate. I was never made to work when I didn't wish to and got lots of training for the work I was asked to carryout.
Enjoyable
Student (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset11 May 2017
Just a chance for me to help the officer deal with problems for Alumni. As I come from China and now study at Bath university.
Furthermore, the colleague of our department recommend me to do that. It is really a good time to work part time with them. People are really friendly and helpful to help me.
vibrant academic environment
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset11 May 2017
vibrant academic environment, friendly students and supportive staff, the student union is really trying to improve the student experience and academic staff very dedicated.
Excellent Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Psychology Dept9 May 2017
Beautiful City, great staff, positive environment. Top of the range equipment and facilities. Great opportunities for future development and career prospects.
Relaxed and fun place to work
Shorthand Typist (Former Employee) –  Bath5 April 2017
A typical day at work began with distributing the academics' post in their pigeon holes. The rest of the day was shared with another Shorthand Typist, and spent sharing the tasks of typing academic correspondence and academic contracts, answering the telephone and taking messages and handling enquiries from students', staff and visitors alike. I learnt some of the academic terminology. The management was lovely and left me to my own resources. The workplace culture was relaxed. There was no hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was its' relaxed environment.
Pros
Fun place to work at.
Cons
Very little career advancement.
Pretty good
Casual Assistant Events Organizer (Former Employee) –  Bath21 February 2017
Very flexible, good hourly rate for the casual staff, of which I was one. My team was very friendly and I got on well with them
Good reliable place to work
Porter Cleaner Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bath, UK23 January 2017
Was in charge of a cleaning team.
cleaning standers
awesome management team
Hard part: High Standards
Enjoyable part: Working with an easy team to mannage
Cons
Early Mornings 6am start
Research Officer and Postgraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Bath29 October 2016
Excellent industrial links and interesting research projects. I was there for six years and I often look back and miss those times.
Supportive and Enlightening Experience
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bath28 February 2016
- Great support from department members of staff.
- Huge amount of autonomy.
- Trusting environment, where they believe in you to carry out workload without someone looking over your shoulder.
I very much enjoyed working here
Catering Supervisor & Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath3 January 2016
As a catering supervisor I was responsable for the front of house in one of the student eating areas.
I planned staff rotas, cash handling,the front of house preparation for service,serving hot and cold meals,responsable for coffee and sandwich bar.
Good relationship with staff members.

After being off for maternity leave I took a Food and Beverage assistant post so I could have a work/home life balance.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Evening and weekend work
Experience
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG14 December 2015
I have learnt how to cooperate with my team, to work together effectively, meet deadline date to finish everything on time and able to lend a hand to my team member to support each other.

I enjoyed working with my team, learning something new everyday and able to build my experience and skills in workplace.

The hardest part of the job was meeting deadline date, especially when there are a lot of work load to do.
Pros
Pension
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG16 November 2015
I work long hours ad banked hours. We do any thing and every thing we are asked to do, from locking up to first aid. We do not have a work life balance. On the whole it is a good place to work.
Pros
good pension and leave
Cons
Productive place to work in
Dissability support worker (note taker) (Former Employee) –  University of Bath23 June 2015
I had several hours allocated each week, the rest of my hours came from one off coverages for other note takers. I would go to classes separate from my charges (students that requested the note taking), then I would meet up with these in the evenings or once a week to transfer the notes.
The management was quite on top of things. Gave clear directions and were always happy to help in which ever way was needed.
Salary was good for the work that needed to be done.
I only saw some of the management staff as my co-workers and met up with the rest of the note takers infrequently.
Hardest part of the job was that it is rather lonely and you do not get to see your co-workers very often.
The best part of the job is that you may learn things you may need for the future (for me, the Baysian probability module really helped me when I studied for the CFA level 1).
Pros
Got to attend different classes where I learnt things that helped me later on, You only work as much or little as you want.
Cons
You sometimes donĀ“t get allocated as many hours as you like, It can be a lonely job.