University of Bath Employee Reviews

drowning in beaurocracy and corruption
Building Maintenance Officer (Former Employee) –  Bath8 September 2018
Micro managers obstructing efficiency, lifers refusing to do anything, a shambles in every sense! wasted talents, wasted money, and puppets running the show
Pros
salary
Cons
everything else
Inclusive and engaging work environment.
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset28 June 2018
I was extremely lucky to work with the School of Management at the University of Bath, even for a short period of time. All members of the department that I interacted with were welcoming, inclusive, and always happy to help with any questions or queries.
A typical day as a receptionist/administrator involved mail organisation, both incoming and outgoing, for the building. I would also often be tasked with a number of PA responsibilities for some of the academic staff, which included calendar and expense management, in addition to working alongside different teams within the department to complete daily operations. The workplace culture was relaxed but still productive, with an understanding that flexibility was welcome, as long as work was completed to a high standard.
Pros
Opportunity to work with a number of teams within the department.
Cons
Very quiet at times due to the holiday period.
Pockets of Good and Pockets of Bad
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Biology and Biochemistry29 August 2018
I worked as a research technician for the university and worked for a PI doing basic research. The lab I worked in required me to work 6 days a week with no holidays, although when I did learn that the university did grant me holidays the administration seemed very genuine. My experience in the lab itself I felt is typical of academic life. What was more concerning was the inconsistencies seen in other labs. On one spectrum I saw other lab techs work 10am-4pm and in others I saw lab techs over worked and publicly bullied without a lot of interference from the administration to try to regulate these more intense situations even when notified of them

Again I didn't have trouble with my own employment and found that the longer work week did make me a better scientist. However, I would be very wary of signing onto a position here long term as the senior staff pretty much runs everything without interference when, in some cases, I think there should be more protections for workers
Pros
Interdepartmental socials
Cons
Somewhat lacking protection from the university for worker rights
Fun place to work
Conferences and Events Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath14 August 2018
This was a good place to work and the team I worked with were very inclusive and understanding, especially when working weekends as many of the events were held over the weekends.
Lab Assistants
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset21 December 2017
The reason these jobs are advertised so often is there is zero advancement or training, they will claim people move on to better jobs because of the excellent training they give this is rubbish, everyone moves on because the line manager is a bully and has zero man management skills. There has been many complaints made about them to HR but it's always brushed under the carpet. Avoid at all costs, better experience and training can be gained in the same role at a a school
Pros
Can be term time only
Cons
Line manager
Productive place to work in
Dissability support worker (note taker) (Former Employee) –  University of Bath23 June 2015
I had several hours allocated each week, the rest of my hours came from one off coverages for other note takers. I would go to classes separate from my charges (students that requested the note taking), then I would meet up with these in the evenings or once a week to transfer the notes.
The management was quite on top of things. Gave clear directions and were always happy to help in which ever way was needed.
Salary was good for the work that needed to be done.
I only saw some of the management staff as my co-workers and met up with the rest of the note takers infrequently.
Hardest part of the job was that it is rather lonely and you do not get to see your co-workers very often.
The best part of the job is that you may learn things you may need for the future (for me, the Baysian probability module really helped me when I studied for the CFA level 1).
Pros
Got to attend different classes where I learnt things that helped me later on, You only work as much or little as you want.
Cons
You sometimes donĀ“t get allocated as many hours as you like, It can be a lonely job.
I very much enjoyed working here
Catering Supervisor & Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath3 January 2016
As a catering supervisor I was responsable for the front of house in one of the student eating areas.
I planned staff rotas, cash handling,the front of house preparation for service,serving hot and cold meals,responsable for coffee and sandwich bar.
Good relationship with staff members.

After being off for maternity leave I took a Food and Beverage assistant post so I could have a work/home life balance.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Evening and weekend work
Flexible, good benefits
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset27 February 2018
Friendly students and supportive staff,
Great opportunities for future development and career prospects,
Additional learning opportunities and training.
Relaxed and fun place to work
Shorthand Typist (Former Employee) –  Bath5 April 2017
A typical day at work began with distributing the academics' post in their pigeon holes. The rest of the day was shared with another Shorthand Typist, and spent sharing the tasks of typing academic correspondence and academic contracts, answering the telephone and taking messages and handling enquiries from students', staff and visitors alike. I learnt some of the academic terminology. The management was lovely and left me to my own resources. The workplace culture was relaxed. There was no hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was its' relaxed environment.
Pros
Fun place to work at.
Cons
Very little career advancement.
A supportive academic community
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset12 July 2017
I'm proud to say I worked here. While academic research is inherently self-motivated, I couldn't have done it without our fantastic IT services, library and of course my immediate colleagues. Being able to collaborate with other departments, both within the University and in other institutions, was what allowed me to get those high-impact publications. The opportunity to present my work at international conferences was the hardest but also most rewarding part of the job. Main downsides are lack of job security - as is standard in this line of work - and management's failure to listen at times.
Challenging and a good learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering19 January 2015
Since the nature of the work is research type, initially at ground zero nobody is aware of the actual path to walk through the project for its successful completion.
The project involved team work and close working nature with other departments which enhanced my team working skills and boosted my confidence to work in a big group of team.
It also enhanced my management skills as I had to manage both time and people (final year project students).
The hardest part of the job was to coming out with the processing technique to extrude carbon fibre reinforced concrete tiles and also to identify the right composition of this mixture.
The whole project was a big learning cycle and this was rewarding
Pros
Being independent at work
Cons
short deliverable period of tasks
Enjoyable employment
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG28 July 2014
As a research technician, resource allocation may vary from lab to lab. Lab space was more than enough. Office space was adequate, with a fun environment.

A typical day involves experiments, fit around sports for an hour at lunch. Admin is usually dealt with in the late afternoon.

Management was fine. Colleagues are extremely helpful.

Media sterilization procedures could be improved, in a more collaborative manner.

Although social opportunities exist across departments, individual labs tend to interact socially with each other more often. This was the most enjoyable part of the job for me.
Pros
Online morning sandwich ordering, the sports village
Cons
Traffic on Claverton Hill can be overwhelming at times, Animal house is NOT quiet.
Fun workplace with good social benefits
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset24 September 2017
Student ambassadors take prospective students on tours and discuss the pros of university life and what it is like to be a student at the university.
It helps to develop communication and teamwork skills.
It is a very social role with the opportunity to meet lots of different people.
Full Time MBA Student
Full-time MBA student (Former Employee) –  Bath, England, United Kingdom28 May 2015
The MBA program was very challenging yet equally rewarding. Having classmates from over 25 different countries was one of the best parts of the whole program. I Learned a lot about how peoples from diverse cultures conduct themselves in business and how to effectively manage many of their behaviours will be very important skills in my future career.
Pros
Free Snacks and amazing lecturers
Cons
9-5 Classes, 3-4 hours study per night
Experience
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG14 December 2015
I have learnt how to cooperate with my team, to work together effectively, meet deadline date to finish everything on time and able to lend a hand to my team member to support each other.

I enjoyed working with my team, learning something new everyday and able to build my experience and skills in workplace.

The hardest part of the job was meeting deadline date, especially when there are a lot of work load to do.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Very interesting environment - cooperative and staff is appreciated
Postgraduate Taught Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG13 April 2014
My job was very varied and challenging. I worked within a lovely team of colleagues who were mutually appreciative. I learned no negotiate with other departments as this was often necessary to obtain what was required for the particular program I worked for. The hardest part of the job? All the tasks were equally interesting; the most enjoyable part was the contact with foreign students from all over the world and the appreciation from and cooperation with colleagues. What I enjoyed especially was the preparation of complex interview schedules for new applicants who were interviewed by several academics on their interview day for several subjects; this had to be combined with written and oral tests and resulted in complex interview schedules, which I found very satisfying to produce.
Pros
Lovely social life and work which was varied and challenging
Cons
We were sometimes short staffed
Excellent Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Psychology Dept9 May 2017
Beautiful City, great staff, positive environment. Top of the range equipment and facilities. Great opportunities for future development and career prospects.
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG16 November 2015
I work long hours ad banked hours. We do any thing and every thing we are asked to do, from locking up to first aid. We do not have a work life balance. On the whole it is a good place to work.
Pros
good pension and leave
Cons
Very friendly and nice place to work.
Assisting my manager on daily basics duties. (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG27 September 2013
My day at work was really busy but I did like as I am person who likes to be needed. I learned how to work with people who not always know what to do and need to be care of. Managers at my work was always helpful and open for any new ideas. I had funtastic co-workers, very friendly, helpful and hard working. The hardest part of my job was working with short staff level as holidays and sicknes, but I did enjoy working there as I worked with people who was coming to work and they were happy not complained that was onother day at work.
Good reliable place to work
Porter Cleaner Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bath, UK23 January 2017
Was in charge of a cleaning team.
cleaning standers
awesome management team
Hard part: High Standards
Enjoyable part: Working with an easy team to mannage
Cons
Early Mornings 6am start