University of Aberdeen Employee Reviews

Great employer
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City5 February 2018
Good attitude and professional ethics. Constant learning environment and opportunity for development and growing. Diversity across the staff members and good communication within the organisation.
Marketing Assistant
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen22 January 2018
Absolutely loved working within the beautiful grounds of the University of Aberdeen. Lovely friendly colleagues a pleasure to go to work on a daily basis.
unproductive and incompenent
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City25 September 2017
lots of people work there. it is a very unproductive enviroment and the guidance provided is extremely poor. i would not reccomend working here to anyone
Productive and educational
Sandwich Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  The Hub3 July 2017
I learned how to work in a team and independently. I dealt with many and different customers as well as their inquiries. It was a very fast-paced environment but the staff there was fun and enjoyable to work with.
Productive workplace
Research Assistant (Part-time) - Psychology (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen27 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the qualitative research field of Psychology. I feel like I have benefitted from the experience and would recommend any student looking for experience in Psychology to look towards their university for opportunities in the field.
Excellent setting to advance a career
Lecturer in Civil and Structural Engineering (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen12 June 2017
Great city, great university setting. I found the university a well structured, well managed establishment in which to work. The library facilities are very good.
Great work atmosphere
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City20 May 2017
A company that truly values its members of staff. The events we work can be very varied as a catering assistant, so not every day is the same, but seeing the events come together and work well is very satisfying. Weddings are always nice to work at as you become part of someone's special day. The staff all work well together, and you get to meet people from all different walks of life, which provides for a really great work environment.
Pros
Flexible work hours, food provided when working long shifts, fantastic management team
Stimulating work environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City9 May 2017
Working for the University of Aberdeen was a pleasant and stimulating experience as I was provided consistent work and interacted with pleasant people. The fixed hours worked well for me and the benefits made it a worthwhile job that made me feel proud to be employed for a respected organisation.
Pros
free meals
Lots of opportunity
Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen18 March 2017
Good management structures, lots of opportunity to develop. In some areas there can be a "boys club" mentality with senior academics but definitely not all of them (something to look out for in your interview, perhaps). A great place to get experience. I found you get out what you put in.
Pros
Lots of development opportunities
Cons
Aberdeen feels remote if you're not from the area
Great place to work surrounded by specialists
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen8 November 2016
My time at the university of Aberdeen was brilliant. The people I worked with and the job I was doing as a PhD researcher was just outstanding, making me feel very motivated to go to work.
Pros
Great environment, a lot responsibilities, travel for work
Cons
Slightly too bureaucratic, lack of communication with the institution that funded my research.
Great place to work for. Good managers
Analyst Developer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen29 October 2016
GREAT place to work for. Managers are very helpful. Employees are provided ample opportunities to grow and advance. Looking at the current financial crunch, university is doing its best to keep up the good work.
Teaching Assistant, Environmental Science (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen29 September 2016
Opportunity to learn and improve with freedom for personal development. Great teaching tools and techniques and have the well-being of the students at heart.
ambiente stimolante e molto piacevole
Studente Erasmus Placement (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen8 September 2016
Presso i laboratori dell'università ho conosciute molte realtà europee. I colleghi erano molto cordiali e stimolanti.
Simple job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen26 June 2016
I assisted the lecturer with tutorials which included helping students with their coursework and answering their questions.
I improved my ability to explain ideas, sometimes multiple times in different ways to help students understand. The hardest part is to learn new or changed topics in the course as courses change every year.
Pros
Simple job, short hours
Formación y flexibilidad
Técnico investigador/Asistente investigador (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen24 June 2016
El trabajo en dicha empresa tenía un horario flexible, pero incluía trabajo durante los fines de semana y después del horario laboral habitual.
Los recursos para avanzar y formarse dependían fundamental mente de la motivación del trabajador, pudiendo adquirir conocimiento en la preparación de informes y presentación de datos tanto a nivel nacional como internacional. Tuve la oportunidad de formar a otras personas y colaborar en la creación de proyectos para mi equipo tanto nacional como internacional. En todo momento tuve facilidades y recursos para aprender y superarme profesionalmente.
La relación con la directiva fue excelente con un apoyo total en todos los aspectos (personales y profesionales).
La relación con los colegas fue en todo momento buena/cordial, aunque la colaboración fue menor de la esperada.
La falta de organización en algunos momentos y que no permitieran la ayuda necesaria.
Siempre pude avanzar y mejorar profesionalmente.
worst employer you can ever find
Post Doctorate Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Engineering12 June 2016
An entire team of 8+3 wiped out due to "exceptional circumstances". No structure. All policies are not worth the paper they are written on.
Pros
Possibility to manage your own work with better life/work balance
Cons
you can be fired with no reason whatsoever regardless of your contract
Resourceful, innovative and inspiring
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen26 May 2016
a typical day at work begins with high expectations. I enjoy the people I work with because they give me chance to learn especially interpersonal relations and working as a team. they motivate me a lot. the time management and students pressure to bring out the best in me. the hardest part of the job is preparing for lectures and grading students' essays. but it is all encouraging and fun because it is what i want to do.
Work Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen14 April 2016
During my studies at the University of Aberdeen I worked a number of jobs, mostly full time.
These jobs included Bar staff, Newspaper Editor and Researcher for the University of Aberdeen.
Member of the (iGEM) (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen4 February 2016
Nice place with nice surroundings. Very positive environment and fun. Good co-workers. Good work life balance. Hardest part of the job is the long walking distance between different faculties.
Excellent
Student (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SCT8 November 2015
Brilliant teaching and educational establishment. Friendly staff and student sport/societies.Exams very complex, but essays not too long. Very good social side to university including pubcrawls and fund raising events. Member of the Fencing Club.
Pros
Great lectures
Cons
Exams