University Hospitals of Leicester

University Hospitals of Leicester Employee Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews
This is a very rewarding job.
Unfortunately the NHS are short staffed all the time, not ideal when your learning on the job!

Very stressful, and fast passed, Which was a little scary at times.

Really long hours/shifts for very little pay.

Given no time to finish my apprenticeship/college work, this was a constant struggle for me.

Feel i didn't get the help and support i needed. Felt completely out my depth at times. Ward sister was horrible to me.
I worked as a bank nurse at UHL for 4 years. I had to adapt to different environments, different specialties, different colleagues each day. It was a zero hour contract because I was a single parent and the hours needed to be compatible with my parental responsibilities.
UHL is a great place to work, the IT department know what they are doing and are a great bunch, I believe I joined at the wrong time (state of influx) but I do regret leaving a good team.
Supported the organisation from hw/sw to networking.
Liaised with all the user from receptionist to physicians.

The time critical support which needed to be conducted was demanding but rewarding as you are predominantly looking after the patients of the hospital.
Although the management is not the greatest, it is socially a good place to work. The work can be fun sometimes and varied. Lots of people, patients to see...... I worked twice at this place.
There is no structure, environment is extremely chaotic, no leadership, no time to read emails, no mentor when joining the trust. Having induction cancelled as needed on the ward. No team working
difficult to progress
great team

long shifts hard physical and emotional work
Pros
fantastic team
Cons
shifts
A typical day at work would be very busy. i like to face challenges everyday to improve my knowledge. I am always organised. I have learnt while being in the NHS that the NHS 6'C are very important in a day to day basis. I have leant to be more confident about being myself and having the confidence of practicing all the NHS 6'C, The management are very helpful, they always help you whenever you need help. the workplace culture is a good place to work because we all treat everyone as an individual. the hardest part of the job would be when there is less staff on a shift, but there is always help as well. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people, intertacting with patients, staff. we are one big family.
I feel I have had a very difficult time, I don't feel as nurses we are empowered to give the level of care we would like to patients and times and targets are too heavily emphasized.
I feel a great improvement would be to increase the nurse patient ratio in some areas and increase healthcare assistants in all areas. This would cost more money up front but would lead to greater patient safety and a higher overall quality of care. More nurses have been hired but there is a steady turnover of staff.
Pros
retention bonuses
Cons
Long hours, stressful conditions, management often unsympathetic.
Staff are friendly and hardworking. Always grateful for additional help. Have to pay for parking, however Hospital Hopper is a free Bus Service. Uniform is provided too.
Good company if face fits for progression. Salary is OK. Everyday is busy depending on department you work in. Management depends on who your line manager is. The best part of the job are the patients
Pros
good pension
Cons
NHS LEICESTER is a very good employer and can work around you as and when required having worked for the trust for the last year I know this to be true
Pros
good overtime pay
Cons
varied working hours
A rewarding job in a company who values its long term staff, a good salary maxing scheme and excellent staff support. The NHS encourage staff to advance if they wish.
Pros
Good working conditions and salary maxing scheme
Cons
Goals can change with change in government
Good job security but the usual politics. Don't often work over my contracted hours but extremely busy every day. Good management at lower level and support in developing
Pros
Security
Cons
Politics
Staff were spread too thin.No opportunities to train in my department as there were not enough staff members. Overally good hospital. Hardest part was getting the support required.
Hospital pharmacy. Not much to say but culture, atmosphere and duty of care provision whilst utilising uptodate clinical knowledge and skills was what made this positin fantastic
Pros
good lunch
Cons
Non except pay
A massive organisation that is under extreme pressure to meet Government targets.

Makes it a difficult place to work in times of Austerity
Just prepparing notes for clinic and sitting Reception on clinics, co-worksers great, dealing with difficult patients, when we are busy time flies.
Pros
Nhs pension
Cons
I volunteered as a ward visitor at Leicester Royal Infirmary and Glenfield Hospital. I chatted to patients about whatever they wished to talk about. I learned a great deal from the patients: how to be sensitive to someone who is suffering; responding appropriately to different people with differing needs. The manager was lovely and always supportive. I enjoyed the camaraderie of other volunteers. The hardest part of the job was when visiting patients who were terminally ill on the cancer wards. The most enjoyable part of the job was when someone really opened up to you and you had a great rapport with that person.
Pros
There was no time pressure; you could spend as long as you wanted with a patient.
Cons
It was upsetting seeing some of the patients suffering with incurable conditions.
good staffing numbers and team work. i enjoyed working there. if It was not the issue of relocating ,I could be working for them continueosly
Pros
understanding magaers
Cons
company not found else where in the country
frantically busy, good management, trying to do its best for patients but struggling with reduced government funding.

staff work together well in pressured environment
Pros
not many
Cons
expected to work late nights and saturdays/sundays
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Hospitals of Leicester. Our community is ready to answer.
University Hospitals of Leicester Reviews by Location