University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust

University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Challenging work
Constantly busy and accuracy is very important. Deadlines have to be adhered to on a daily basis. Patients, visitors and the public have to be treated with respect and compassion with excellent caring and customer skills putting aside your own personal issues.
Bank Nurse
Some of the Bank Office Staff are Unhelpful and condescending. Would never go back to working on the Bank. You are not appreciated and there is a lack of support from the Bank Office if you have any problems.
Overworked and Undervalued
Radiotherapy at the Leicester Royal Infirmary is underfunded and understaffed. To work there means picking up an extra 23% of the workload left by the fact staffing does not account for any sickness buffer, maternity backfill or staff replacement.

I would not recommend working here.
Respectful and friendly work environment.
Great place to work with really supportive colleagues and system, however difficult to get work/life balance right particularly if unsure about availability of staff support groups.
Pros
Good working environment, flexible hours, friendly management, good incentive for career development.
Cons
No lunch discounts, few exercise classes based at Glenfield, needs more awareness of referrals for therapy and community exercise groups.
NHS personal summary
I was lucky enough to get a job within the NHS through applying on indeed. So many doors have opened for me. Great number of holiday, great pension and progression opportunities. Very happy a year on.
Meat factory.
The trust chews you up and spits you out. A huge bullying problem, it's too big to sort out, trying to prove you are being bullied is nigh on impossible, even if you follow the steps they advise. No one cares! You are picked at and on buy every level there is, for all the support they purport to give... It's just lip service, as long as you have no personal problems, health problems, your never sick, your never late, you don't have to eat, drink or urinate, you don't have children, you have no opinion... Basically, as soon as robots can do the job of a nurse, i.e something that has no other propose than work, then, and only then, will the trust be happy. Work for them at your own (health) peril!!!! Too many senior staff walk around with self importance.
Pros
It pays the bills... Just.
Cons
Too many to list in this life time.
Development
I felt there was minimal effort to develop non-clinical staff. All o my development I had to complete with my own initiative and in my own time. There was very little time dedicated to on the job development.
Pros
Support from within your team
Cons
Not enough manager contact
Staff Bank
I would definitely not recommend working for the staff bank team, you are left alone to work and manage the service with no support from management. Over worked and no processes in place to run the service. They have long term staff leaving on stress leave and sickness. I’m surprised the UHL directors have yet not investigated this service. It’s disgusting how staff are treated in that place! Poor Management and poor Service
Pros
Cons
Overworked, poor management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust?
Horrendous
If you don’t mind working as a nurse where you feel unsafe often unsupported and your pin at risk then this Job will be perfect for you. Very low morale.
Pros
You will always have a job as they’re always short staffed.
Cons
Long hours, rubbish pay, unsupported
Demoralizing work environment
Poor staff development. Favoritism within management and junior members if staff. Over worked, low morale, no positive reinforcement only negative. Wouldn't advise anyone to work there.
Pros
Social aspects
Cons
UHL- tough but promising employer
I have worked at UHL since May 2016 and I have to say this is the best job I have ever had.

It is quite a challenging environment- given the political pressures of the NHS, the need to manage clinical and administrative needs, as well as working with limited resources. Also, as one of the busiest (and largest) NHS trusts we have 15,500 staff who look after approximately 1 million people(!) across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.

This can be a very tough place to work, but it is worth it!
Pros
Great pension scheme, flexible working, good benefits
Cons
Can have long working hours (at times), limited scope for development in some areas and lower pay for the work many staff do.
Great for newly qualified staff
UHLT had one of the best development programmes for newly qualified Midwives. The support provided by both the Trust and the University was fantastic.
Good place to work but need to work closer to home
I love working for UHL, but would like to work closer to home. I work with a great team of people, we discuss issues as a team and I feel part of that, even though I am not a senior member of staff. I have been able to go on several training courses to improve my skills. I have a good relationship with my Manager, I can go to him if I have a problem, but he leaves me alone to plan my day and get on with the tasks I have been assigned. I have an appraisal twice a year and if my role changes at all and my manager feels I would benefit from an available training course, I can book a place. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling part of a team and knowing your input was part of progression.
Pros
Well looked after/flexibility
Productive people centred workplace
people centred laboratory, working environment was nice and relaxed, and management believed in training the staff to a very high level. Sometimes had to work unsociable hours
valuable
A great, fast paced and varied place to work with a variety of career opportunities available to all. Typically a busy and productive environment.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
progression
A thankless post as Surgical Bed Coordinator
Days consisted of managing wards and admission units for patient in order for surgeries in theatres to take place. Patient transfers were required at all times of the day to allow the flow of patients to run smoothly.
It was a thankless job where sometimes you were the one everyone in the hospital turned to and pointed fingers at whether it was for something positive or negative, mainly the latter.
Rewarding Enviroment to work in
Whilst working for the NHS I have thoroughly enjoyed it, it is rewarding and felt proud for having had that opportunity.

It is a fast pace environment and you have to be able to adapt to working under pressure and on going changes, sometimes on a daily basis.

It offers on going training, to keep within NHS standards and legislation.

There are opportunity's for progression and promotion.
Pros
Good pension scheme
Cons
Need to be flexible regarding working hours
Enjoyable
A typical day for me was to arrive at work in good time, load the work pages for the daily bloods for patients on the wards and print them out.
Make sure the clinic and ward trollies were well stocked with whatever we would need for the day.

Make sure the clinic and trollies were clean.

Greet patients and identify them with their name, date of birth and NHS number, explain the procedure of drawing blood and ask for permission to proceed, draw the blood with very little pain and bruising using the correct tubes, label the tubes when finished and send them to the Path Lab for testing in a timely manner.

Be aware of infection control and always wash my hands and alcohol gel them when necessary.

Be aware of NHS guidelines as to Infection control matters and use the correct bins and sharps buckets as and when required.
Professional and calm enviornment
I have worked in NHS as a Apprentice for 12 weeks and gained alot of experince an new skills while I was working NHS. Worked in three main hospitals in Leicester such as Glenfield Hospital, Leicester Royal Infirmary, and Leicester General Hospital. I was there as a Desktop support technician and solving technical issues around the hospital. I have also worked as Rollout Technician to replace the old PC's to new PC, upgrading RAM's according to the Windows 7 requirements as NHS is going to deploy Windows 7.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
flexible hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9