University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust

University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Busy, fast paced environment but ultimately rewarding. I learned how to deal with many different types of conflict which enabled me strengthen my people skills with a wide range of social backgrounds. The most enjoyable part of this job was being part of a team and being confident enough to deal with any situation that occurred.
I left after being there a year , staff turnover very high. Poor management who are rude and work you like a slave. High staff turnover no chance of career progression. Not a great place to work
Pros
Pay is fairly good
Cons
Poor management
Working at UHCW has been lively, demanding teamwork, involving learning how to use complex systems. Interaction with patients by telephone was rewarding, and dealing with colleagues was generally good. Management were helpful and available. Standards were high, systems were effective but tough to learn thoroughly.
I feel that the nhs as a whole has declined in its overall care of patients and focuses more on the monetary side of things. This is something that frustrates me greatly as management just push for results and not patient care.
Pros
Consultants are friendly and approachable
Cons
Bullying culture
The workplace at University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire is the kind of workplace that I have always been looking for. Everyone is caring, caring about each other and the patients. This is one of the Trust's values which is also one of mine. There is a relaxed atmosphere whilst also being able to work individually to deadlines
Also, another of the Trust's values is Learning & Development which also helps to promote the employees job prospects.
Wouldn’t recommend theatres to start a career, band 6 and 7s are already chosen before interviews,
Have a walk around before you start.

Talk to the staff and get the feel.
Awful job. I worked there for a year which was enough, seen so many people leaving, too much staff turn around. Manager was nasty women who doesnt appreciate her staff. Like working in a prison. Always being watched and montoried. They had a thing about time.

Do not work here unless you wanna work like a dog.

Money was good, hours very long, environment was stressful. Management suck.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long hours, bad manager, stressful environment
Its a good service and the girls are brilliant.
I was on the bank for 2 and a half years, So job security was a bit iffy, but your nearly always called in, so it was all good.

I didn't get the opportunity to advance, but new starters that followed me, got trained up on the wards, and to bleed babies and carry out glucose tolerance tests, and some have even made it to the labs or in other fields.
My day to day job would vary due to patients, as my role was the co-ordination/timing of making sure that their pathway from 1st point of referral from their GP to the Renal Department and being established on dialysis. I managed my daily workload but if needed would seek advice from other team members to ensure the patients received the care needed.Working in such a sensitive area it was of the upmost importance that patient confidentiality was kept at all times, thus making the relationship between staff and patients good at all times. Working for so long in this role the hardest part was always when patients procedures failed thus creating problems for them to start on dialysis or worst case when we lost patients, because of their condition they spent so much time at the Hospital you would know them quite well so I am not afraid to say I have cried on quite a few occasions. But when you have a good outcome and the patients procedure was successful it was always a wonderful feeling, and I felt humble when they thanked me and all of our team for helping them.
Pros
Cons
Unsuccessful outcomes
UHCW is a very interesting and rewarding place to work. there are many opportunities to develop different skills. however there is a lack of dynamism.
Pros
varied work opportunities
Cons
institutionailsed culture
never a dull moment at the hospital and always room for improvements within your job role. staff are always polite and professional when dealing with emotional and distressed patients.
A busy role within a rewarding sector. I learned a new set of skills that I will carry with me in every new adventure and career choice. The hardest part of the job is dealing with vulnerable adults or children without getting emotionally attached, so you can do your job and care for individuals at the same time. Seeing people overcome and deal with many ailments and get to go home afterwards.
A fun place to work who are professional. The work is interesting. i ahve learnt lots since I started there. my working is interesting and challenging. i love helping patients get the care they deserve and need.
Very busy demanding department. Very rewarding working with the patients from all walks in life, suffering many different illnesses etc.
Worked doing management duties, requiring specialised skills, but very rewarding.

Hardest part of the job entailed long shifts, heavy demanding work. Also,having to overcome some sadness at times.

The enjoyable part of the job was giving something to particular patients and making their day, depending on the nature of events.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Long hours and heavy work
A varied Hospital with a great deal of departments so a great opportunity to learn and grow.
Links with Warwick and Coventry University enables professional studies to link with healthcare provision.
Pros
Good opportunities
Cons
Car parking is challenging
Worked in a busy office environment, gained experience in managing a team, learnt about the NHS. The most enjoyable part of the role was working with medical staff from other areas.
Too many targets to meet, need to concentrate on patient care more and take the stress of the staff so they can do their job more effectively.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
too many targets
A typical day in my role involved a handover regarding the patients in my care, general care and assistance given as required with adequate support given as needed.

A pleasant and equitable company to work for even though sometimes things that occurred were mentally taxing support was always at hand if asked for.
Pros
leasant working conditins n general, friendly staff and management who ere approachable when needed.
Cons
Long hours, having to deal with unpleasant occurences
Worked as a contractor.
Enjoyable job mainly due to the people I worked with.

Enjoyed the experience considerably
Pros
Reasonable travel time to site
Cons
Getting parking was a problem