University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
Good hospital
Q.E is a good hospital, very modern, good facilities however very stressful environment. Very good location however and the right support in place to help development.
Fast paced and interesting
Fair employers. Amazing Management Team.
Always an interesting and challenging day. No one day is the same.

Good benefits which improve the longer you work there.
High turnover of staff due to Low Morale
Used to work at UHB in the IT department a lot of favouritism and politics seems to be going on with management and certain members of staff. Management couldn’t care less about staff hence the high staff turnover. Morale is super low, a lot of the time they advertise fixed term contracts then left go of the staff that refuse to brown nose. Apply if desperate!!!
Enjoy my work ,challenging , great teamwork , so many initiations to improve standards
Caring is my priority, work in collaboration with other disciplines-great place to work
Patient focussed all the time

Would recommend any of my family / friends to work or obtain treatment

Love it
Very good
I enjoy it here. It is a stable job with great scope for progession. Staff and friendly and management is always ready to help. I work with doctors and nurses on a daily basis to best treat patients.
Fun and Good Career Opportunities
I enjoyed working here with a fun, experienced team. The opportunities for progression. The only reason for leaving was the need to relocate for personal circumstances.
Great experience
Worked at Heartlands hospital was recruited as an administrator and then was promoted, I worked with a great team who were very supportive and my colleagues were also great. Good work life balance also.

Only reason I decided to leave was because of the merger and restructure of jobs otherwise I think I would be still be working there
Steer clear of Payroll
I had the unfortunate experience of working in the Payroll Department at UHB.
Work loads are not distributed evenly. Some staff enjoying working their flat 37.50 hours per week with the occasional extra flexi whilst others were working in excess. Moral was awful. Staff bullying and intimidation was evident on certain teams by the team leaders and those who support them. One of the team leaders I believe has been warned about her behaviour in the past but she is openly supported by the Payroll manager so gets away with it.

It is very evident that certain staff are protected regardless of whether they do not pull their weight or are just plain nasty.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Low morale, long hours, intimidation
Horrible staff and poor management
I worked in the Radiotherapy Bookings office on a temporary basis through the hosp agency. The staff in the office are totally unprofessional, lazy, and rude. They are a very clicky office and do not make you feel at all welcome. The management in this place are absolutely useless! They showed me no support and had little interest in how I was feeling. I was so unhappy there don't even bother applying!
Pros
Cons
Horrible staff, stressful, bad managers
Not interested in looking after loyal staff
I am in the same heart breaking situation as everybody else who is leaving the NHS.

They want more and more out of you for less and less. UHB cut wages, costs and corners so that the numbers ALWAYS add up. This is to the detriment to staff morale and patient safety.
Pros
Individual staff are amazing
Cons
UHB are not interested in looking after loyal staff
Caring, friendly staff
A typical day at work would be mostly enjoyable.
I learned that me being my singing self, would put a smile on the faces of most patients, staff and families.

The management was mostly ok, although I believe more can be done to improve the understanding of working parents with child care needs.

To lose a person is always the hardest part of the job.
Pros
training available
Cons
Long shifts
Nhs
The trust is such a good place to work, and the passion within the CEO really shows.

It is a shame that politics and inside management tactics really get int he way of departments flourishing.
One of the best places to work
One of the best places to work. They fund the training for the employees. Good leadership. learned a lot since they have a well experienced bunch. Overall very friendly environment to work.
One of the most well managed hospital trusts
Very well managed hospital trust in a good location. Lots of push for benchtop to bedside science and a good research portfolio. Adjacency to university helps facilitate these developments.
Productive and interesting workplace
This job was a good experience for me despite the terrible pay.
I had multiple opportunities within this job such as different training sessions that I could attend for free! I also worked within a very good team where I was valued and respected.

However, as an apprentice my pay was very low and was not enough to support my lifestyle so sadly I had to leave.

I am still very grateful for the opportunities I got whilst working there.
Pros
Good teams to work within
Cons
Bad pay
Fair.
Would in all honesty rate them as fairly average.
Training is good and the systems in use (such as Rio and other tracking systems) are relatively user-friendly.

The hardest part of the job would be working in the type of department /section where a number of patients have to be seen within a very short space of time, and where there is limited availability.
Pros
Many Individual medical staff are highly committed and professional.
Cons
No definite cons - it is fine if that if you enjoy working in the health sector
Great workplace
Very good learning and development opportunities within the workplace, I have attended many study days to enhance my role. I enjoy every shift spent at my job within my team.
Great Opportunities
University Hospital is a great place to work, if you would like to support your growing ambitions.

No day is ever the same, with daily pressures building, stress ca sometimes get the better of anyone, however the work, team morale outweghs any job i have seen so far. the support you receive from other teams as well as your own is by far the best.

Training is always at hand.
Pros
good teams
Cons
Productive workplace and excellent staff to work with.
I had a very productive, inspiring and remarkable internship.
The epople I worked with were very helpful and understnd my needs and mentored me with great professionalism.

The facilities are excellent to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Busy
Long days but pass quickly - supportive culture with friendly faces. Difficult to travel to because of road congestion and parking is very limited, well supported by public transport.
Challenging
A challenging environment where the best is always expected. Fast pace and technically demanding environment. Variety of work is wide.
Pros
Good work environment and collegues
Cons
Pace can be too fast at time to allow detailed attention to matters