University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Horrible staff and poor management
Temp Role (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 March 2019
I worked in the Radiotherapy Bookings office on a temporary basis through the hosp agency. The staff in the office are totally unprofessional, lazy, and rude. They are a very clicky office and do not make you feel at all welcome. The management in this place are absolutely useless! They showed me no support and had little interest in how I was feeling. I was so unhappy there don't even bother applying!
Pros
Cons
Horrible staff, stressful, bad managers
Not interested in looking after loyal staff
Healthcare Assistant/Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham28 January 2019
I am in the same heart breaking situation as everybody else who is leaving the NHS.

They want more and more out of you for less and less. UHB cut wages, costs and corners so that the numbers ALWAYS add up. This is to the detriment to staff morale and patient safety.
Pros
Individual staff are amazing
Cons
UHB are not interested in looking after loyal staff
Nhs
Group Support Manager for Cardiology (Former Employee) –  Birmingham21 November 2018
The trust is such a good place to work, and the passion within the CEO really shows.

It is a shame that politics and inside management tactics really get int he way of departments flourishing.
One of the best places to work
Integration Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham5 November 2018
One of the best places to work. They fund the training for the employees. Good leadership. learned a lot since they have a well experienced bunch. Overall very friendly environment to work.
One of the most well managed hospital trusts
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 July 2018
Very well managed hospital trust in a good location. Lots of push for benchtop to bedside science and a good research portfolio. Adjacency to university helps facilitate these developments.
Productive and interesting workplace
Business Administration Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 July 2018
This job was a good experience for me despite the terrible pay.
I had multiple opportunities within this job such as different training sessions that I could attend for free! I also worked within a very good team where I was valued and respected.
However, as an apprentice my pay was very low and was not enough to support my lifestyle so sadly I had to leave.
I am still very grateful for the opportunities I got whilst working there.
Pros
Good teams to work within
Cons
Bad pay
Fair.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Various departments - inc. Cardiology18 May 2018
Would in all honesty rate them as fairly average.
Training is good and the systems in use (such as Rio and other tracking systems) are relatively user-friendly.
The hardest part of the job would be working in the type of department /section where a number of patients have to be seen within a very short space of time, and where there is limited availability.
Pros
Many Individual medical staff are highly committed and professional.
Cons
No definite cons - it is fine if that if you enjoy working in the health sector
Great workplace
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 October 2017
Very good learning and development opportunities within the workplace, I have attended many study days to enhance my role. I enjoy every shift spent at my job within my team.
Great Opportunities
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 August 2017
University Hospital is a great place to work, if you would like to support your growing ambitions.

No day is ever the same, with daily pressures building, stress ca sometimes get the better of anyone, however the work, team morale outweghs any job i have seen so far. the support you receive from other teams as well as your own is by far the best.

Training is always at hand.
Pros
good teams
Cons
Productive workplace and excellent staff to work with.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 March 2017
I had a very productive, inspiring and remarkable internship.
The epople I worked with were very helpful and understnd my needs and mentored me with great professionalism.

The facilities are excellent to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Busy
Administration Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 November 2016
Long days but pass quickly - supportive culture with friendly faces. Difficult to travel to because of road congestion and parking is very limited, well supported by public transport.
Challenging
Head of Estates (Engie) (Current Employee) –  Engie Project offices16 May 2016
A challenging environment where the best is always expected. Fast pace and technically demanding environment. Variety of work is wide.
Pros
Good work environment and collegues
Cons
Pace can be too fast at time to allow detailed attention to matters
Harworking and pressurised workplace
Recruitment Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG28 January 2016
Working for the NHS and particularly such a big organisation as UHB has its advantages and disadvantages. There is nothing personal about working here as you are just a number to the chiefs of departments etc. The hardest part of working here is the lack of empathy the bosses have to your particular situation. For example 1 year ago we were moved from the Selly Oak Hospital site where we were convenient for all our doctors to a site at Edgbaston which has very little parking and the public transport is abysmal. Plus our doctors have difficulty in getting to us now The most enjoyable part is actually dealing with consultants and especially the eminent ones
Pros
Cons
Struggling with the rush hour to get home
Fantastic!
Procurement Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 October 2015
Fantastic, challenging environment. Great public sector organisation where you can see your hard work paying off by helping patients. Great, diverse mix of people.
Cons
Varied role in my third position inside NHS
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham2 March 2015
Working in a varied role within microbiology department. Resolving technical problems, and performing tests on biological samples. Doing swabs for testing MRSA and urines on specific plates. Doing further tests for sterile pyuria, suprapubic, nephrostomy, and urostomy with pipettes for accurate measurement. Making up inhibitor plates inoculated with Bacillus Subtilis in order to test antibiotics within urine samples. Urine cultures and further tests are for determining urinary tract infections.

Loading Kiestra (which delivers range of plates for diverse tests) in main laboratory and checking maintenance for continually operating tracks.

Regularly resolve problems when UF100 machine breaks down or has error messages. This may involve opening machine checking internal workings. There may be a range of errors from hardware to software. Engineers are called out and demonstrate the pneumatics pumps, electronic circuitry and small components keeping the process from sample analysis to waste. I have also demonstrated to colleagues how to resolve errors and trained people to use this analyser.

Operating autoclaves and creating saline solutions and reagents such as tryptone water used to determine if Escherichia Coli is present. Testing oxidase results on filter paper (if positive for Pseudomonas Cytochrome c), indicates purple colour change. However lack of colour change indicates Escherichia Coli Making batches of oxidase filter papers to differentiate between Micrococcus from Staphylococcus bacteria.

Working off site at local genitourinary medicine clinic where serology
  more... samples are labelled then booked into TELEPATH testing for Human Immunodeficiency Virus, Hepatitis B, syphilis, chlamydia, Bacterial vaginosis and Trichomonas vaginalis.  less
Pros
Excellent colleagues
Cons
Disorganised schedules
Hard working team in a hugely busy environment
Housekeeper/Ward Administrator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG8 December 2014
Each day is different but the basics involve ensuring that supplies and equipment are available and in good order and that support team members are at their posts or organising cover if not.
This was a steep learning curve given that we were working in a brand new and untried building with it's own "quirks" which needed hands-on management to accommodate.
The team is highly qualified and motivated.
The hardest part of the job centres around organising local requirements within a huge corporate entity. However this
is also the most enjoyable given the sense of achievement at a successful outcome.
Pros
Secure work
Cons
Regime change
Covering someone who is on sick leave
IT Project Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG10 September 2013
• Working with the IT Projects team looking after a team of 5 Project Managers, 2 Senior Project Managers and managing diaries for 4 Programme Delivery Managers.
• Updating the project teams activity on daily basis.
• Attending meetings for the project teams when Managers are not available.
• Creating a newsletter for the IT division.
• Ordering stock using Sage
• Updating and creating in-house IT incidents using LanDesk IT Business Management Console
• Managing the IT Director’s diary and daily events and meetings he attends in his PA’s absence.