University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom42 reviews
Great team
I loved this role as the department i worked in had a strong sense of camaraderie. Management were friendly and approachable and there were many opportunities for career advancement. The job was very fast paced and could often be stressful and overwhelming which was made harder by other areas of the hospital not following procedures or not understanding the process and wait times for medications.
Pros
Great place to feel part of a team
Cons
Hospital lunches are expensive and where i worked had no windows.
Productive working place
Excellent working place. the most enjoyable part of the job is having to serve patient and the public. You get to meet new people on a daily basic. and patient comes first in everything you do.
Pros
in house courses for staff
Cons
None.
GP surgery is nice place to work for experience
Working in GP surgery is very challenging and not easy. My clinic starts at 9 am and I see patients with different problems and of all age groups.
We have to see the patients in 10 minutes which is quite challenging. Also, my work includes home visits, visits to care homes, a lot of admin work, phone calls, letters and discussing the investigations with the patients.

I like my work but at the same time, I find it very challenging and tiring.
Varied but stressful
The environment is very busy with pressures from within the department, and from other departments, to meet the demand on the service when there is no capacity to do so.

You need to be resilient. Sometimes management can be supportive, however a lot of the time staff are just expected to put up with it, pressured into overtime or forced into working at least 2 weekends per month. The shift patterns are a bit erratic and, although supposed to be on a rolling pattern are not and generally are released about a month in advance.

The work is varied, which is nice, but that doesn't make up for the added stress from the size of the department.
Busy but friendly working environment
My experience of employment at UHS was a positive one. Senior staff were very approachable and colleagues very helpful.

I would recommend UHS to any prospective employee.
Money down the drain!
Too many people doing the same job. Too many people doing nothing. Take the p out of the NHS. Not enough medical staff, too many 'managers;. Awful.
Money wasted
Southampton University Hospital Trust
They are a great University Hospital Trust, that support you through your development and progression.

Great benefits and pension, holidays excellent service to patients and staff.
great manager
managers at UHS are really helpful and understanding and will bend over backwards to help their staff.
Friendly staff members and always on hand to help out others
This is a brilliant, fast paced and innovative trust. They encourage you to perform at the highest standards in order to provide unparalleled services
I have worked here for 6 years and have had excellent career progression throughout. The team are hard working and very friendly. It also leads the country in forward thinking and always striving for optimal patient experience. The pharmacy team in particular understand a patients daunting hospital journey and makes it as smooth as possible. I highly recommend this trust.
Painter
It is a Good friendly environment to work in no day is the same, there is alot of career progression and staff benefits, and a good place to socialise
A varied and interesting place to work
Depending on your role a typical day on the job can involve a lot of different tasks or working on a single task. There is a culture of flexibility especially in regards to working hours. Management can be cliquey however if you have a good manager then they are hugely supportive and it can be a great place to work.
13 August 2019
Thank you for your positive and honest feedback. We're happy to see that you were supported. If you have anything you would like to discuss further please contact hrsocialmedia@uhs.nhs.uk.
Good people, Bad management
I have worked with lots of good people during my time within the NHS, but within the last few years the management side has been very poor not taking into staff into consideration when making decisions.
13 August 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you had a positive experience with working in the trust. However if there is anything else you need to discuss further please contact hrsocialmedia@uhs.nhs.uk.
Stay away if you want to progress
Poor management, poor work ethic, great if you’re a lazy person that’s comfortable with taking money for doing next to nothing.

Not even free tea and coffee.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Work culture
Bullying rife at University hospital southampton
Very bad place to work. Do not ever question anything. Staff rude, unfriendly and not supportive of new staff. When you have done exit interview and launched a complaint with HR. Everything gets swept under the carpet. Bullying rife, archaic support system for staff and bad attitude from all staff. Appalling. I wouldn't ever go back.
Cons
Good
UHS is very nice hospital. The staff are polite and helpful. They have supported me through some difficult times with my health. I enjoyed working with patients and colleagues.
Fantastic Agency
Brilliant to work for and always plenty of work available. Good pay rates and the ability to work all round the hospital means your work is always varied
Excellent
Nice environment, very good benefits and Staff I truly recommend this company for everyone who does not have a previous experiences the NHS is the BEST option.
Health care assistant a and e
Absolutely awful place to work due to the unfriendly staff. Was not able to learn anything about the job as was afraid to ask other staff members due to their rudeness. Felt like I was not appreciated for my efforts. The staff members in a and e were just terrible. Eventually walked out of the job because of it.
Pros
Cons
Staff members
29 October 2018
Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience of working within our Trust, and felt like you were underappreciated in your role. We take all negative feedback very seriously and aim to make improvements in all areas that require them.

I'd like to learn more about your situation and how we can improve next time - would you please get in touch with me at chas.brickland@uhs.nhs.uk or by phone: 023 8120 5872 so we can discuss this further?

Thanks!
Supportive and safe environment for newly qualified nurses
Started newly qualified and was supported and mentored in an assigned supernumerary period. Training and study days were mandatory every 6 weeks to ensure staff were up to date on all training.
29 October 2018
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience working at University Hospital Southampton. We're really pleased that you felt supported and valued during such an important period of your career!

If you'd like to leave any more specific feedback on your time working at UHS, please feel free to get in touch with me at chas.brickland@uhs.nhs.uk or by telephone at 023 8120 5872.
A good place to work
A busy Hospital in Southampton where the people opportunities & salary were on the whole good. A varied work place where it was impossible to predict what each day would bring with any certainty. Full of diversity, a fast paced challenging yet rewarding environment in which to work
Pros
Staff canteen
Cons
Parking
29 October 2018
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience working at University Hospital Southampton. We're very pleased that you have had a positive experience working in a varied environment!

Patient Services Centre
3 BAD Senior management rude
gang up

gossiping

bullying push out good staff difficult unless ur face fit/relative

treat like DOGS

unprofessional

AWFUL
Pros
None 3 SENIOR MANAGEMENT BULLY STAFF Terrible place to work Patient Services Centre, General Hospital Southampton
Cons
3 senior managers are don't do any work horrible lazy
28 August 2018
Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave a review - I'm sorry to hear that you've had the above experience within the PSC at UHS. I work as part of the recruitment team in the human resources department, and I'd very much like to discuss this in more detail with you and see whether there is anything we can do to improve your situation. Please get in touch with me on chas.brickland@uhs.nhs.uk, or you can call me on 023 8120 5872 if you would prefer to speak over the phone. Thanks, Chas Brickland.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location