University College Birmingham Employee Reviews

Good work collegues, poor management
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 October 2018
I can take many positives from my time at UCB and value how the role has allowed me to now progressed into a more senior role at a large university. However poor management decisions constantly make all staff members roles more difficult than needed.

UCB has many hard working members of staff who go above and beyond for students. Staff generally support each other and best practices are shared. Most staff are friendly and during my time I developed a good network. Due to being a WP institution staff get great reward from what they do and its easy to see the impact you have on students.

The issues at the college and university generally are caused by a very old fashioned style of management which is reactive and financially motived.

Work is often given to staff without management considering workload. If this is then challenged by the employee the working environment is made uncomfortable by managers. Students who should not be on programmes because they do not meet minimum entry requirements are regularly enrolled on all courses purely because of the fees they attract. This puts pressure on staff as additional time is needed to help these students pass courses. Management do not praise staff for going above and beyond what is expected of them enough and are more happy to motivate by negative means.

Some very hard working staff have been taken for granted over long periods of time. Lucky for UCB most of these staff members generally just accept the negatives, possibly because they are passion about they do and the aim of the institution.

Finally, a very static pay
  more... structure with no potential for progression causes more ambitious members of staff to leave. During my time at UCB I have seen many staff who could be future leaders within the institution allowed to go too easily because they were not professionally developed and/or were at the top of a pay scale.

In summary, UCB is a great place for an academic to start there career. Working with a diverse range of students can prepare you for work in other establishments and peers are very supportive. However any potential employee should expect that they will be joining a workplace with a blame culture who look at the financial implications before the needs of its students.
Pros
Good starting point for career in education, friendly collegues, food, location
Cons
Management and resulting work place culture
Fun workplace
Student (Former Employee) –  Birmingham20 February 2018
A good college overall but unless you've got an issue management will deal with it very poorly.Communication is very limited here as an appointment is needed with everyone you need to talk with.Too many buildings also as i and a few others have gotten lost finding the colleges.
Pros
Good mentors
Great Job For Students
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham4 October 2018
Working as a student ambassador was a great way to gain more experience and learn/develop new skills while presenting something you are passionate about.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Summary of organisation
Support staff member (Current Employee) –  Birmingham7 January 2018
An organisation which is committed to professional development of its staff.

Positive working culture.

Good work life balance for many roles.

Salaries are acceptable.
Challenging and Fun
Visiting Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 March 2018
The typical day comprises dealing with items and issues arsing in a dynamic and challenging working environment that requires a good skills set in which to operate
amazing
Student (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 February 2017
a great place to study day in and day out with some of the chefs, they definitely keep you on your toes all day. some great benefits and qualifications to come out with.
Pros
£20 a week for 100% attendance.
Cons
Long hours, far to travel for my self every morning with early starts.
Interesting and challenging
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham23 July 2012
My duties included setting up the University campuses for open days and student visits, showing groups of people around the campus, introducing and representing the university to its quests, administration work in the marketing office if and when required. During my time as a student ambassador I have gained confidence when speaking in front of an audience, time management and patience. Majority of the tasks include team work and therefore all student ambassadors must be good team players. the job can occasionally be challenging; this is because you have to be prepared to answer questions from a personal and professional perspective and at times these questions can be somewhat intruding and it has been something I have had to overcome. However, the job has been thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying as I got to meet lots of interesting and nice people from around the world and work with some inspirational people.
Mellow and calm work enviorment
Hairdressing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham City Centre, West Midlands20 January 2018
typical day at work is coming in and seeing what I need to do within the day. As usual I learn new things everyday and due to this everyday is interesting.
Pros
lunch
Cons
not learing new things
informative and knowladgable pace
Student (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG27 November 2014
Working at the restaurant was really a good chance to acquire skill and knowledge of performing a good service for the customers. The dishes served where inviting to the customer and this meant the restaurant was always busy. The colleagues were a joy to be around and skills were transferrable amongst all of us. Management was very skilled and very helpful so much that the service was part of them.
Pros
free meals and took home any left overs
Cons
late night working
Overall Working Practices
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham14 December 2016
The time spent at UCB has been filled with fun, great students and great teams to work with. Yes, like all educationally led positions its hard work, some long hours, however UCB recognise this and you are awarded in one way or another, through bonuses, extra holidays etc. The timetables are fair for all and shared equally.
Pros
students, fellow colleagues and the food
Cons
some long hours and heavy marking loads
Great place to work due progression limited
Student Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 July 2016
Great culture at UCB, staff are well treated. Professional development is encouraged however due to the size of the institution progression routes are limited in some areas.
Fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham18 April 2013
When there was an open day at the University I would arrive to set up for the day before the prospective students arrived with their parents/guardians/friends. I worked in a team of about 3 or 4 other Tourism and Business students. It was our duty to give a short presentation about our time at University and to promote it and the course, then following the talk we would take the prospective students on a tour of the campus. The most enjoyable part is definitely the tour because it gives you a chance to interact with everyone more and answer any questions, while promoting the university.
Pros
chance to meet people
Cons
quite a long day
Workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG3 October 2014
I work as a student ambassador for my university to plan events and give presentation of my ongoing experience as a student. I help in planning and sorting out invitations and letters to the public. I also work in the marketing department in my university as a receptionist when needed on busy event day.
During my free time, i volunteer as an accountant in my church to help prepare the church's statement of account, data entry, and make all necessary payment.
I go for Zumba classes and also bake and sell pastries on my less busy days.
Fun place to work
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham15 April 2013
I mainly help out on open days which isn't every single Saturday but I enjoy working there. From working as a Student Ambassador, I have learnt how to deal with customers and I have been a lot more confident since working as a Student Ambassador. Both the managers and co-workers are really great to work with and we all get along with each other. The job isn't that hard and the most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to meet new people every time I'm working.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not a consistent job every week
Ok
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG8 September 2014
Decent company to work for. Nice people , pay isn't the most competitive
Fun work place
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 May 2017
My responsibilities was:
Preparing food.
Cooking food.
Cleaning and making sure the work environment met the required hygiene standards.
Retail aspects , providing customer support on tills.
Handling finances.
Making sure food was prepared in a timely manner and to a high standard.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
When there was not many customers.
productive environment
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Birmingham10 February 2013
the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting with people willing to study at the university and their parents and face to face conversation to give them adequate information needed.
i love working as an ambassador because i welcome people to the university and do the accommodation tour by showing student the university accommodation on the open day.
University College Birmingham
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 May 2017
The best experience ever! Not only support given is amazing, but the quality of the information is brilliant too! UCB is a great way to move forward in life also I would recommend to any student to apply and enrol this UCB Campus !!!
Working in a School
I am a Student of University College Birmingham (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG3 July 2015
The Unirversity send me to the Saltley School as a mentor for years

9, 10 and 11 students. The dutation was about a year and the students were given certificates at the end of the programms.

It wqas a wonderful experience for me and also for the students both boy and girls.
Pros
we purchased lunch at the school
Cons
about 3to 4 hurs per week and I went in for 1 day.
A fantastic learning experience
Undergraduate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham28 May 2012
Just so there is no mix up this was where I have studied for the past three years and I am about to graduate. The course covers a wide variety of information to access and the lecturers are very experienced and knowledgable people who are willing to help you no matter your problem.