Universal Music Group

Universal Music Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
A typical day started at 9:00 am beginning with breakfast which ended at 10:00 am. When breakfast ended, we would go up to our designated work placements and start working on whatever is assigned to us. From 12:00 pm we would then start lunch and take this opportunity to visit other workplaces within the building and network with different A&Rs, publishers and managers.
The hardest part of the job was matching the work ethic of those who have already been working there and staying in the office as I am a person who is an active worker.

The most enjoyable part was networking as finding out about other jobs and the functions within Universal.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours with no pay
Management will not stand up for you. Bad stuff is your fault, good stuff is their credit. Psychological pressure, blame culture, hypocrisy, no solidarity at all.
Great, friendly place to work. I enjoyed my time there, everyone in the building are very nice and work hours are flexible. The area is nice too, worth working there.
Pros
Security, reasonably priced food and drink, celebrity sightings
Cons
Crowded elevators
Learnt how to deal with various types of client and also learning the business/law side of things such as publishing and sample clearance.
Was a good experience overall.
Pros
studio time
My two week placement at UMC was like nothing I'd expected, I thought I'd be making tea and coffee for the workers, but they all came and have a conversation and actually taught me, ask a few questions and I asked a few in return, UMC is an exciting and fun workspace and I'd recommend others to go and work there!
Pros
Free Lunches, Comedy, Challenging
Cons
None due to only working 2 weeks.
A okay environment to work.

The job is fine for what it is but company works in silos with limited connections between projects.

Management style is not exactly clear and there was no clear path of progression.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of leadership
Work experience there was fun and rewarding but you need to have good background knowledge in live recording and production in order to really get the most out of the experience.
Pros
Great staff that are happy to help and make for an enjoyable process
Cons
Lack of structure for work experience
I was initially employed a 3 month rolling contract but that continued to be extended as they seemed to like me which was a bonus. The work varied frequently which always kept me interested and eager to learn more and also gave me the opportunity to visit the other Universal offices.
Lovely culture and fast paced environment. No two days are the same, good opportunities for development. Always looking to develop and enhance the company brand.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Universal Music Group?
Working as an extra with this company was great fun, with hair and wardrobe fully supplied for, and meals mostly catered for. Overall friendly vibe and gave me the opportunity to branch out and make some links with some big names.
I was working on a 3 months contract therefore was there to support my colleague in dealing with procurement requests. When it was busy, I enjoyed the pace as it was productive.
I only rated 1 star for the 'job security/advancement as it is not relevant to my situation given the fact that I was not on a permanent contract.
Demanding company working to very short deadlines and asking for total dedication to the role.
Training is mostly on the job with little structured or external training organised.

Loved being part of the music business and getting early access to new music. Lots of events and gigs to attend if you want to and social life can be very good if you want it.
Pros
Free gigs, access to new music
Cons
Long hours, stressful, short time frames for projects
I enjoyed my work experience placement at the marketing department of Universal Music Group because it gave me a chance to step out of my comfort zone
Pros
Free lunch, working with other departments, brilliant co-workers
Cons
Travel
a reallt great experince good family unit. always looking for the next best thing with work. a great workplace culture most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet great talent
I worked for Universal for 16 years and although a fast paced environment I enjoyed most of my time here. The group lost it's way a bit through the change in digital downloading but I understand its stabilised now.
How refreshing to work with people so polite and helpful, so refreshing, was a shame I was only on a fixed term contract.

Great location, management treated staff like adults and let you get on with your work, no ego trips here
Pros
The People
Cons
Inspiring and thrilling place to work if you love music and everything that comes with it.

I will be sad to go, especially to leave my boss, who was hard-working, talented, ambitious and demanding.

I doubt I'll work for anyone like him again.
Pros
Got to visit Madison Square Gardens & Abbey Road Studios
Automation using C# and Selenium
Scrum

Agile

SPA

Co-workers are experienced individuals with a great attitude towards helping others and solving problems.
-Nice relaxed office environment and a fun industry to be in. Work benefits are great but the pay can be low.
-There was no clear path of progression after my internship had finished.
An exciting fast paced company to work with as the worlds leading music company. A creative company with a really fun environment
Pros
Great Benefits and Music tickets. Great people
Cons
Abbey Road Studios is a great company to work for. The briefs were clear and the projects always engaging and exciting.

I enjoyed working with such a world reknowned brand, and couldn't speak more highly of them.