United Nations

United Nations Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7 reviews
3 months internship
Large organisation that at times can be limiting, but all over interesting tasks and subject matter. Good job culture among the interns - could be more benefits for this group as the position was unpaid.
Interesting place to work
Varied, interesting job with intrinsic satisfaction, working with different people world-wide and using own initiative to make assessments of youth .
Pros
Free worldwide travel
Cons
Unsocial hours
Not secure
Security briefing every morning with the chief security officer.
went through a lot of refreshers courses to keep updated with the latest security equipment and information.

co workers are very friendly.

We were not secured because the job was a high risk Job.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Not secured
Bra arbetskultur
Bra arbetskultur med självständigt arbete och en bra antal gemensamma möten. Högsta ledningen väldigt bra, mellanchefer mindre fokuserade. Jag hade projektanställning i 3 månader utan förlängning.
Calm Environment, Nice Garments
I would go in, in the morning and take my coat off in the back room,
Check the shelves to see if there was any empty space that clothes could be put in, Checked the clothes racks to see if there was any clothes in the wrong orders. I learned how to use the basics of a till.

My manager was very lenient he allowed me to take breaks when the shop was not busy. The hardest part of the job was sorting out the clothes into sizes.

The most enjoyable part was making customers smile as they came into the shop by greeting them and making them feel welcome.
Pros
Frequent Breaks
Cons
Didnt handle the till
Interesting and challenging
Excellent opportunities to make a difference in international development and humanitarian disaster response in challenging circumstances and multicultural environments.
Contract editorial work
This was a freelance contract, arranged by an agency, for the UN about clothing enterprises in the Third World and how they operate. I had to confirm to strict UN house rules in copy-editing regarding countries' names and their leaders' names - quite politically correct and detailed with a strict House Style sheet. The work was sent to me to work on at home, with a deadline, in a series of Word Documents. I did not have a great degree of freedom in editing the text as my job was to ensure all the copy was consistent in style i.e. bullet points in lower case, subheads in bold with secondary headings in italics. It was neither hard nor enjoyable - boring for the most part and not that well paid either.