UNITE Students Employee Reviews

amazing environment
Housekeeping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds2 October 2018
working in a safe and fun environment. learnt a lot as it was my first experience in this field. management is kind and understanding. high competitive pay!
great opportunity to put a smile on faces / no day is the same
Sales and Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 March 2018
A typical day in the job involves logging parcels and helping customers with various issues which most definitely gives you a warm feeling knowing that you were able to help.

The only thing i have learned is that i am sure i want to work in an environment where i am helping people. I have not learned anything from the job as i have at other jobs ie something i can take elsewhere the character i have has carried me through with the customers. re management: no comment (my no comment is not a positive) The company culture is an amazing one where the focus on a day to day basis is on the customers only. On a few sites that i have visited for staff their is no staff room for staff lol. Hardest part f the job is that there is not enough staff at the right times, meaning by the time management realise that there is an issue. You are already super drained. Again, working with the students is the best part of the job. PS, there is a Christmas meal and once a year there is a sort of recognition of good staff.
Pros
Working with happy customers (majority of the time)
Cons
no official order or day to day care for staff only unnecessary stress
Terrible Management, disappointing!
Service and Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield2 May 2018
I had a great time working at Unite but it was very difficult due to incompetent management. They say all the right things but don’t actually listen to staff needs. If you’re sales driven and enjoy a challenge then this is the job for you. If you care about students and good customer service then avoid this company!!! Door knocking students to get sales during exam period?!... yeah that’s really a “home for success”. No training, no support and no leadership. Managers don’t have a clue about what the people on the ground do but are very quick to act like they do and criticise you when you are trying your best. High turnover of staff and asked to perform tasks way above your pay grade. Unsociable hours and no additional pay for people working nights
Pros
Not bad pay
Cons
Management and hours
great job if you have no comittments
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London30 September 2017
overall is a very direct and caring company, but really need to be hands on to get through it.

I also believed its one company that really invest time in properties living, but working relationship can also be improved through management as front line staff work very hard to keep the property look clean and safe for students but should be praised more.
Pros
pay increase
Cons
lack of training
Great Place to work
House Keeping Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire18 December 2017
Since starting work for Unite I have progressed so much and I really love working here. I work really hard and get so much praise from the staff and the students whose flats I clean.
beware its not what it seems
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  England16 November 2017
for the first 6 months my role was fine, then the screw started to turn, asked to do jobs not qualified to do ie look after boilers and electrical consumer units, threatened with disciplinary over the slightest thing.
asked to be flexible but this seemed to be one way...from my side.
had to fight to get holiday authourised, I had shifts changed without asking until i noticed it on the roster,i was off xams day then all of a sudden somebody else was off and i was working.
bullying in the workplace was rife,people scared to talk to senior management about it as they know they would not be protected, i had to contact acas and in the end join a union for protection
its a good job though if you are left to get on with it very rarely that you are though, as you are expected to help other depts which you were not made aware of when you took on the job
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
back stabbing
The truth about working for Unite
Service and Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire28 May 2018
Unite is a big company, with a lot of building spread across the cities. The first year was good as the hours and shift patterns were great for balancing my work and social life. The workload was managed well and training was fine in the first year.

The moment the hours changed to late finishes, there was no regard for the employees and how it would affect them within the Service and Sales team. Finishing late was not only affecting my social and family life, it affected the service delivered to customers; no other teams such as maintenance or housekeeping were onsite till 5pm. To add more on top of this no manager or supervisor were unavailable, even when on call. You could not give customers much support as most queries required support from other teams, at times I worked alone as the team was overstretched to cover the hours and queues would form which meant you rush through the customers to try cut the queue. Most times you would ask them to wait until the next day as the maintenance or housekeeping team would have gone home.

Although I did not work lates every week, we were initially told it would be once a month, even the weekends (Saturdays) however as time went on, it became an every other week thing to work the lates week, then also expected to work a 9-5 on a weekend, within one of weeks where I had late shifts. Working on Sunday’s would also creep in here and there. The team is also forever changing people last a year maximum in most cases, then new people are recruited and supervisors do not train them, the colleagues seem to do the supervisors job instead,
  more... of course with no additional pay.

Progression seems to be a myth; most people keep their jobs and do not try something new, meaning you do not progress unless you leave. I would only advise this job if all you want is money or a short term job and don’t care about how you are treated because they do not know how to keep employees.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor leadership, terrible hours
fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 May 2018
Love this job as I develop and learn new skills as well as meeting and helping people. Great environment to work- would highly recommend to other students.

Most enjoy creating and hosting events, managed well and love working with a lovely team of staff. The perfect job to fit around university work and life!
Pros
meeting people and flexible
Good job , nice people
Painter / foreman (Former Employee) –  London8 November 2016
Painting walls and ceilings, and woodwork.
Security.
Management were OK .
Co workers were OK .
Quite an awkward job to get to by public transport.
Praise from management.
Pros
Inside wotk
Cons
Traveling
Ok
Service and Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London4 May 2016
Unite is a decent enough employer by my standards. A lot of inter office politics and gossiping but would you expect anything else from an office based environment?

Salary does not positively reflect the amount of work this company actually requires from you but is fair enough for someone with no mortgage or children. If you have either....

That aside no day is the same and the people themselves are nice enough. Management are very relatable, maybe too much sometimes, and dedicated. However favourites are very apparent.

The hardest part of working with Unite is the sheer energy the job requires. Although the people you work with and the environments are generally very nice and the company does take care of you in terms of little treats throughout the year such as unexpected bonus', nibbles etc. I find that for a position that pays so little I am far too tired at the end of my day to even consider doing anything else to make some extra money to make up the shortfall I feel every month after paying the bills.

No matter how nice a place is to work if the bottom line doesn't make sense you can only stay so long.
Pros
Yearly bonus
Cons
Demanding
Do not work here
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bristol15 December 2014
Lazy and two faced management structure.Everything is money how much they can save,the foreign students are just cash cows.There's no chance of career advancement even full time positions are being phased out in favour of minimal part time ones.Maintenance staff sit around most of the time can't even clear up after themselves and the buildings should be condemned,rats,mice all sorts of creatures.Also long hours and no holidays in the summer time
Pros
Xmas Holiday
Cons
Great place to work with amazing people!
Summer Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh14 December 2017
I was given the opportunity to work here in the summer of 2016 as part of their summer staff, and I have always been grateful for this opportunity. I was really lucky to have worked in the heart of the city right opposite the University, and the city was bustling with tourists during the Fringe. The best part of working for Unite was the chance to meet people from all over the world, but more importantly working with great people. Unite promotes and maintains a great workplace culture!
A great place to work
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, ENG24 January 2015
I joined the business at a time when it was going through a monumental culture change.
I find it to be a progressive and rewarding place- I put a lot in and get a lot out
Pros
Team I work in
Cons
Salary isn't competitive
Horrible experience
Maintenance Technician, Electrician (Former Employee) –  London17 February 2017
Management is Horrible, Salary base is below average, No overtime!
No training and developing staff.
If you have luck to be cousin or family of some of the manager you might be fine.
Pros
Never free lunch and even if you achive your assignment no bonus
Cons
TAR is 7 days a week 12-15 h a day for 2 months
ok company but rarely listen to employees
safety and security (Current Employee) –  Bristol24 June 2016
i enjoy working here but beware they have a term called "managed out" if your face does not fit you will be given an uncomfortable ride...salary is ok as i have no mortgage...good bonus scheme, but they do expect you to fill out forms needlessly...and nobody challenges. I like working here but things change quickly...so what could be a good month can quickly turn into a bad one.
great work life balance, mostly great staff to work with. I will prob stay until i feel they no longer want me there then i will just leave

lastly no two city jobs are the same so consider this at the interview and ask questions
Pros
bonus once a year
Cons
poor leadership.
No progression
Service and safety Manager / Development manager (Current Employee) –  London, ENG23 April 2014
Due to no next step and seeking now,

Progressed quickly for a 4 year career, property management
Productive and Fun
Service and Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ENG29 April 2015
This is an amazing company to work for, the job culture is a family, lot of laughs but serious at the same time. Flexible hours are a bonus for as i was in studies. Environment is great as it is not too stressful, and the company treats you well and encourages you to provide feedback about almost everything which they soon try and work with.
All in all its a great company to work for.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Great Environment, Management
Cons
Repetitive
Unprofessional management
Service and sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City23 September 2016
The local management has no people skills , no leadership ,no training program in place and no organization at all. All this create a really negative atmosphere at work and conflicts among staff members.
Pros
Salary and Bonus
Cons
The local management is really bad
Great work management and there policies don't work
service and safety assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham9 February 2016
The work you do is ok the people you meet and help are great. But the actual company itself is no where near as professional as they think they are. No support the customer or student is always right. If you believe the law is right then don't work for unite. They let numerous students break the law. Like some one else said if your face don't fit they'll do there best to get rid of ya. Make you work your holidays and then moan because you ask for them off again. Some staff are great others have the power in there head syndrome. And as for the the policy they have in place not worth the ink it's written with.
Pros
Great students.
Cons
long hours. management. policies
Worse company to work for ( current employee )
Supervisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leeds26 March 2016
The Service and safety role is probably the lowest ranking job within the business with no prospect to develop.

The hours are long,exhausting and stressful. The amount of **** you you receive from students and managers, it's defo not worth the salary their offer.

Want a security role? Stick to working on the doors!

Managers/supervisors and site staff treat you like dirt and if things int GETTING done, then they won't hesitate to start the process of formal meeting etc

Lastly, if your face doesn't fit within the business then you will struggle throughout ur journey within this place of work.

( this is probably one of the worse place for backstabbing as well )

Be prepared to lose you home life balance
Pros
No comment
Cons
Long hours, under paid