UNITE Students Employee Reviews

Busy, busy, busy!!!
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow21 May 2018
Great place to work , crazy fun staff and great wee students! It’s fast paced so certainly not a job for someone that likes to sit on their back side. It can be hard work , especially at TAR time but it’s also worth while with a lot of job satisfaction. Pay is really good, sick days and holidays are great too! Lots of employee perks and advancement in the workplace is encouraged and open to all. I’ve had a great experience with the company, and enjoyed discovering new cultures with our students too. All in all I would recommend working with Unite if you’re lucky enough to get the opportunity.
Pros
Great Xmas parties
Cons
None worth mentioning
fun workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 May 2018
Love this job as I develop and learn new skills as well as meeting and helping people. Great environment to work- would highly recommend to other students.

Most enjoy creating and hosting events, managed well and love working with a lovely team of staff. The perfect job to fit around university work and life!
Pros
meeting people and flexible
Terrible Management, disappointing!
Service and Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield2 May 2018
I had a great time working at Unite but it was very difficult due to incompetent management. They say all the right things but don’t actually listen to staff needs. If you’re sales driven and enjoy a challenge then this is the job for you. If you care about students and good customer service then avoid this company!!! Door knocking students to get sales during exam period?!... yeah that’s really a “home for success”. No training, no support and no leadership. Managers don’t have a clue about what the people on the ground do but are very quick to act like they do and criticise you when you are trying your best. High turnover of staff and asked to perform tasks way above your pay grade. Unsociable hours and no additional pay for people working nights
Pros
Not bad pay
Cons
Management and hours
great opportunity to put a smile on faces / no day is the same
Sales and Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham20 March 2018
A typical day in the job involves logging parcels and helping customers with various issues which most definitely gives you a warm feeling knowing that you were able to help.

The only thing i have learned is that i am sure i want to work in an environment where i am helping people. I have not learned anything from the job as i have at other jobs ie something i can take elsewhere the character i have has carried me through with the customers. re management: no comment (my no comment is not a positive) The company culture is an amazing one where the focus on a day to day basis is on the customers only. On a few sites that i have visited for staff their is no staff room for staff lol. Hardest part f the job is that there is not enough staff at the right times, meaning by the time management realise that there is an issue. You are already super drained. Again, working with the students is the best part of the job. PS, there is a Christmas meal and once a year there is a sort of recognition of good staff.
Pros
Working with happy customers (majority of the time)
Cons
no official order or day to day care for staff only unnecessary stress
productive
Kitchen Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside11 January 2018
- a typical day at work is: first you have to sign in whene you arrive at work, you need to make sure you have all ppi recuitment what is requested in warehouse, you need to follow all rules and you have to work together with all team.
Great Place to work
House Keeping Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire18 December 2017
Since starting work for Unite I have progressed so much and I really love working here. I work really hard and get so much praise from the staff and the students whose flats I clean.
Great place to work with amazing people!
Summer Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh14 December 2017
I was given the opportunity to work here in the summer of 2016 as part of their summer staff, and I have always been grateful for this opportunity. I was really lucky to have worked in the heart of the city right opposite the University, and the city was bustling with tourists during the Fringe. The best part of working for Unite was the chance to meet people from all over the world, but more importantly working with great people. Unite promotes and maintains a great workplace culture!
Awful
Sales and Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading4 December 2017
Avoid this company like the plague, They harbour a workforce of thieves who steal from the food bins and then when you whistleblow it they don't take it seriously.

Very VERY bad
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
beware its not what it seems
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  England16 November 2017
for the first 6 months my role was fine, then the screw started to turn, asked to do jobs not qualified to do ie look after boilers and electrical consumer units, threatened with disciplinary over the slightest thing.
asked to be flexible but this seemed to be one way...from my side.
had to fight to get holiday authourised, I had shifts changed without asking until i noticed it on the roster,i was off xams day then all of a sudden somebody else was off and i was working.
bullying in the workplace was rife,people scared to talk to senior management about it as they know they would not be protected, i had to contact acas and in the end join a union for protection
its a good job though if you are left to get on with it very rarely that you are though, as you are expected to help other depts which you were not made aware of when you took on the job
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
back stabbing
great job if you have no comittments
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London30 September 2017
overall is a very direct and caring company, but really need to be hands on to get through it.

I also believed its one company that really invest time in properties living, but working relationship can also be improved through management as front line staff work very hard to keep the property look clean and safe for students but should be praised more.
Pros
pay increase
Cons
lack of training
No where to go
Service and Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 September 2017
Despite having completed all the training possible i still remained in exactly the same position as when i started with the company.
too many unnecessary changes for no real reason
do not out the staff first and just have workshops to tick corporate boxes for the stakeholders
Good company to work for
Service & Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 August 2017
Great people to work with. Would highly recommend but think the pay could be a little bit more competitive. I worked in the emergency control centre as a customer service advisor and supported students. I also worked on a rota which had pros and cons. Pros I got to have sometimes up to four days off at a time. Cons that I had to work VERY unsocial able hours ie nights, weekends and bank holidays for no extra pay!
Great Workplace
Sales and Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London13 July 2017
A really great place to work - I can definitely say that I looked forward to coming to work, which is rare. I was offered a lot of job opportunities that I hadn't had the chance to work in before and was comfortable with my responsibilities. It was a job that I did not want to leave.
Fun place to work but can be stressful
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol11 May 2017
Typical day at work is answering emails and calls, handling complaints. Maintaining social media accounts. Selling rooms to students. Handling maintenance requests.
Pros
City visits
No acknowledgement or personal development
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London30 March 2017
Working for Unite Students has been ok experience.
Management did not seem to spot on how to improve /develop members of staff and educate long term employees to do their job instead of spending the whole day at Reception booking holidays or having chilled conversations with friends.Very pressure atmosphere especially if you are someone who wants to get things completed or rely on their team. No care from Management and no incentives for the people who are doing great job.
Pros
pay rise every year
Cons
management too soft on long term employees
Horrible experience
Maintenance Technician, Electrician (Former Employee) –  London17 February 2017
Management is Horrible, Salary base is below average, No overtime!
No training and developing staff.
If you have luck to be cousin or family of some of the manager you might be fine.
Pros
Never free lunch and even if you achive your assignment no bonus
Cons
TAR is 7 days a week 12-15 h a day for 2 months
Hka (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow1 February 2017
Good job prospects and encouraged to move up the ladder in the company good incentives encouraged to improve yourself and given help to do this great company to work for and would encourage anyone to work here
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
Over rated place to work
Safety Team Operative (Former Employee) –  North East9 January 2017
Management don't have a clue what they are doing and rely on people below them to pull them out of the muck shall we say.
They never listen to the staff that work at the sharp end and never learn by their mistakes from year to year.
Leave things to the last minute and everything ends up being a rush job.
Co-workers were spot on and knew the score just a shame management don't grasp the nettle and listen to what they have to say. A certain supervisor who will remain unamed was so far up his own backside and used to get away with murder and loved to wind people up and yet again not only did the City manager or Area management not listen to people regarding this individual and now its come back to bite them.
Pros
Cons
Don't always get a break on dayshift
Welcoming
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, Midlothian28 December 2016
I enjoyed my time working with Unite. My coworkers were so amazing, helpful and welcoming. The job itself was easy and manageable. I felt zero stress working there.
Kind and Supportive
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 December 2016
I had a lot of fun in a challenging and supportive environment. We took on a lot of information and had lots of room to progress further.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNITE Students. Our community is ready to answer.