Unilever Employee Reviews

Found 266 reviews matching the search See all 5,772 reviews
Overall, a good company to work for.
Technical Operator (Current Employee) –  Warrington15 March 2019
I've worked at a couple of Unilever sites for over 5 years now and find the company to be a decent employer. The apprenticeship system is very attractive and successful. A lot of the plants are over-complicated and money can be wasted. I would urge anyone though to work here.
Pros
Blue-chip company, job security
Cons
Management communication, budget money wasted.
productive
SD (Former Employee) –  sussex25 February 2019
enjoyed working in different stores

meeting new people

learning new things

creating displays

enjoyed the use of a company car

enjoyed taking part in team meetings
Pros
company car
Great place for marketing profesionals
GLOBAL MARKETING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 February 2019
Unilever is the best place to learn marketing, consumers and bring innovations to the market in a most systematic way. . I joined Unilever at a pivotal time and was entrusted with aligning objectives to garner, inspire, and raise demand awareness to successfully use marketing tools to gain and support partner and stakeholder confidences. Thus, with a career history steeped in the marriage of marketing innovation and brand program development, I am immersed in the trends shaping the industry—a hallmark feature of a Brand manager. As such, I have served in influential, respected leadership positions that leverage integrated communication for business development, while maintaining a strong strategic focus on the business objectives.
Pros
great work place
Cons
slow on recognition
Great Company and team
UX Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Sunlight Wirral14 January 2019
Great people and environment to work in with positive input from each team member. Global organisation with teams and members working across various disciplines proving online support and help.
Pros
Free Coffee Tea Fruit
Cons
none access to training online
Nice working environment but poor progression and insourcing
Global IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Sunlight26 December 2018
Excellent place to work, great working environment and even allows for the agile/working from home status for people within the ETS organisation.

Typically difficult to be unsourced as a contractor and roles that are advertised internally are not allowed to be applied on by contractors and third parties who have been with the organisation for years.

Good and enjoyable work but difficult to retain.
Pros
Agile working
Cons
Little job security
Working at Unilever
Global Learning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Port Sunlight21 December 2018
Unilever embraced Agile ways of working and supported employees to better balance work life through the use of technology.

Working for them I have learnt much that I can bring to other employers
Pros
ability to work agilely/ unilever shop
Excellent place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Portsunlight wirralv16 December 2018
Flexible hours clean building everyone treats one another with respect private health care fee medical checks full sickness pay for eighteen months adoption leave also caring for family member on full pay
Don't bother
Director (Current Employee) –  London10 December 2018
Pros
• Nice offices in London
• Free ice-cream freezer
• Good food in the canteen
• Gym, GP on site
• Some employees are really nice and hardworking people
• Interesting projects

Cons
• The company is not what it was 10 years ago
• The company has lost its professionalism and now only rakes in benefits of its own name/reputation
• Many employees overworked, on stress leave or have outstanding grievances with the organisation
• Culture of intimidation, harassment and bullying is supported widely in the organisation by HR and by senior and executive employees
• Hidden agendas of senior employees are destructing from delivering the job
• Senior management does not live what they preach and overtly behave hypocritically
• Conflict of agendas of senior employees and therefore difficult work relationships between departments
• Extremely disorganised – left hand does not know what right hand is doing
• People are hiding behind general email addresses which breads culture of not being held accountable
• Technical systems within Unilever far below standard of FTSE 350 (let alone number 5 of FTSE 100)
• Extremely poor or no learning/training opportunities
• This is not a company for mid-career hire. The company employs long-service senior mgmt (Directors, VP, EVP and C level) and then people without any experience. Mid-career employees with experience are discouraged from doing their job.
• This results in high turnover of the employees who actually are doing the work, and therefore there is a loss of knowledge and expertise
• Lack of subject matter experts in
  more... many areas of support functions of the business
• Dishonest in dealing with employees who are not treated with respect
• Agile working woks only if supported by your line manager. If your line manager likes to see you at the desk you must be at your desk.
Would never sugest anyone work here who are young with a life.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Walls28 November 2018
For starters I was on 12 hour shifts. It was 2days 2nights 4 off. 6am - 6pm and vice versa. After being there for a year I had a heart condition and was signed off by there very own Dr/Professor whilst I was undergoing investigation. During this time I was on sick pay. I was cleared to work again by their Dr/Professor for Jan this year. However, they fired me in October 2017. Where this was unfair dismissal as I was still covered by a doctors note, I was not well enough to then pursue a court case.
Pros
Good break times
Cons
Weird shift patterns.
Good workplace great work life balance and salary
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport28 November 2018
I enjoyed working there. I learned many skills. the work life balance was great and salary very good. there was a lot of training invested in to the staff and leadership team.
Good environment
Global Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  London27 November 2018
Great company to work with, great way of leaning marketing, currently embracing digital transformation, leaders genuinely believe on sustainability and embedding purpose.

Complex matrix organisation with lots of internal policitcs and sometimes "too many cooks in the kitchen" inputting, can be frustrating and slow, salary tend to be lower than market average.

Restructuing and uncertainity every 2 years, change poorly communicated and poorly managed.
Pros
Sustainability, company culture
Cons
Restructuring every 2 years, burocracy
Good Place to Work
IT Support (Former Employee) –  North West5 November 2018
Unilever is a good company to work for particularly as a permanent member of staff. I contracted there and they look after you as much as they have to.
Pros
Free products
Cons
Old buildings to work in
Stafd gpod to work with overall a good factory
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Gloucester2 November 2018
I have been working for manpower as agency with Unileaver i really did enjoy working there as i started when i was 18. The reason i walked out was because i felt like i wasnt getting offered full time work and i needed security.
Exciting and enjoyable work place.
Global Supply Chain Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Liverpool19 October 2018
It was an enjoyable period of time. I was given enormous exposure to one of the world's largest and most impactful business and I was given the chance to make a difference.
Good company that has lost it's way
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London12 October 2018
Job advancement extremely poor (unless you are a UFLP). People I worked with waited years before moving up to the next salary band - competitors pay considerably more for similar benefits. The company is very slow to react to trends which can make your job feel a bit pointless as innovations take years to come to market (by which point the trend has been and gone). If you don't fit in with the Unilever culture you won't last. Training is without doubt extremely poor, by far the worst I have ever experienced and as a result, a lot of new starts feel demotivated and unhappy with management. Management seem to have an 'us and them' mentality with regards to their staff - if they don't like the way you work or another manager does not like the way you work, you feel like people start to gang up on you behind closed doors. On the face of it, this is a great company but I would never recommend it to anyone. There has been a mass efflux of people in the past couple of years, with many moving to other companies for better salaries and to escape all of the politics that come with working for Unilever.
Pros
Flexi time is useful
Cons
Managers not always happy to let you take flexi time...
none of theese
Housekeeping Staff (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London19 September 2018
I was not very happy about the working conditions and all the extra jobs every day over my main duties responsibilities and also the treatment of staff no respect and been rude at all times so I was needed to quit the job!
Pros
they give us the expired food from the kitchen and sometimes was nothing to eat
Did not meet expectations
Customer Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Surrey12 September 2018
Overall you are given a good amount of responsibility, covering large accounts with different pressures ensuring you remain adaptable. You do have to seek work though constantly as a placement student because otherwise you will not been given tasks to complete. The culture is also cut-throat at times with other managers attempting to clam responsibility for your work, which is obviously not acceptable
Productive and fun place to work
Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Leeds4 September 2018
Enjoyable experience within a diverse multidisciplinary team. Relaxed yet productive environment. Many team events and trips to balance work with team building so that everyone is aware of each others strengths making for a more efficient workforce.
Pros
Friendly colleagues.
Cons
Time taken from concept to product on shelf.
Developement
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, England31 August 2018
Worked for many years here, safety and excellence were paramount and this in turn delivered high production outputs and developed positive team structures
Pros
development and support
Brilliant place to work
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 August 2018
Found it a nice and friendly atmosphere learnt a lot and really grew as a result of working here is a pace i highly recommend. Brilliant

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unilever. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2