UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

Good job
steward1 (Former Employee) –  chow hall14 February 2018
Had a great time working for the men and women who serve in the forces super fun place hard work at times but great pay and benefits .Never a dull moment went from cash register to washing pots to serving food so quite varied ,
Pros
good pay nice place to work
Cons
working odd hours christmas day
Supporting our military personnel
PA to Director Service Liaison (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands12 February 2018
Working behind the scenes to enable the tri-service personnel do their most important job protecting our nation. Opportunities to progress with hard work.
interesting and diverse working environment
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Various8 February 2018
Good career advancement possibilities upon completion of 17 week training course and two year probation. Specialist Police positions open to successful applicants in a shorter time frame than most Home Office forces.
Shift work - 12 hour shifts (4 on / 4 off) can be tough on work/life balance. Overtime can be limited but is available.
Specialist Firearms Development Training and resolving problems and issues for site employees and members of the public as well as maintaining the consistent security of establishments gives a sense of job satisfaction. Generally good support from line managers and upper higher ranking staff.
Pros
Flexible Shift rotations
Admin Posts
Budget Manager MoD Police (Executive Officer) (Former Employee) –  Bath7 February 2018
I performed various admin functions in services within the MoD. They offered me training and opportunities which having not gone to University I took advantage of.
Pensions compliance work
Pensions Audit Manager (Executive Officer) (Former Employee) –  Cheadle7 February 2018
I believe that this work did open up opportunities for me in other posts in the MoD but I am not sure if this post now exists.
I performed a management function for a team checking pension awards.
Policy Post
Policy Manager (Executive Officer) (Former Employee) –  Bath7 February 2018
This was a post translating national policy into service specific policy.
The management was good if many layered and the pace of change was at that time slow.
Pros
Flexible working and good training opportunities
Cons
Change was slow.
Challenging but opportunities
Senior Auditor (Senior Executive Officer) (Former Employee) –  Bath7 February 2018
The MOD offers opportunities for individuals who want to explore opportunities which might not be available elsewhere.
The training offered will be second to none and there is some flexibility for working patterns.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Slow to change (but this has improved).
Secure
Administrator (Current Employee) –  North West3 February 2018
Secure regular work. Nothing out of the ordinary, no great highs or lows. Not sure what else there is to say about this role. Good holiday entitlement and nice people to work with.
Pros
free parking
Cons
not exciting or varied work
Apprenticeship, a good one
Apprentice Technician (Former Employee) –  RNSD, Copenacre, Hawthorn, Wilts31 January 2018
A typical day was mixed between in-house training, college and work experience in dockyards for instance. I learned a lot about electronics and comms systems. The management is what you would expect from a large government organization; it ran seemlessly but there were no clear objectives I could understand and, realistically, being an apprentice, this wasn't a concern. The culture was great as most of the apprentices got on and were stationed together on a nearby base. Hardest part was some of the college work and revision. The most enjoyable part was the culture.
Excellent Employer
Senior ICT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  UK29 January 2018
Superb career development, with opportunities to develop leadership and management skills within a highly technical arena. Opportunity to travel the world.
Pros
Career Development
Cons
Nil
Could be so much better
Police Officer (AFO) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 January 2018
The organisation needs to get with the 21st century. The only positive is that we get paid. Youngsters who want blues and twos, do not apply here please for your own sake
Good Place to work, if you have a good manager
Admin specialist DE&S (Current Employee) –  Cambridgeshire21 January 2018
After serving 25 years in the Armed Forces, I joined the MOD, did not pay me the Contract I signed for, very poor wages, very very bad management, that is when they came to work, I have only experienced bad lying managers who commit fraud and get away with it, they change the job role to suit the so called business reasons
Pros
finishing time
Cons
lunch brake
Productive and supportive workplace
NVQ Assessor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 January 2018
Enjoyed my time working there and would recommend it to anyone. The workplace is very supportive and everyone works together to create a humorous and harmonious environment.
productive and fun workplace
Soldier (Former Employee) –  UK16 January 2018
There is not a lot I can say that would be relevant to todays Army. So much has changed , I mean I left thirteen years ago. in my honest opinion a summary would not be valid.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Not much room for promotion
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool11 January 2018
Flexible hours and good work life balance with plenty of benefits, but poor wages and no chance of Advancement with job cuts. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor wages
A wide range of opportunities to develop career
Higher Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Bath and North East Somerset10 January 2018
Good place to work but depends on which department, large variety of jobs on offer, decent opportunities to advance career and good training facilities
Pros
Good opportunities
Cons
Limited salaries
I would reccommend this to anyone.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 January 2018
From the first day to the last there was never a 'typical day'. That is one of the many reasons that I loved the job, each day was different. even when you thought you knew what the day ahead would bring, something or other cam up and the day would change.
I learned many skills during my time in the MOD, many are not much use in the 'real world' but some are, they include, team work, how to organise at speed, thinking on the hoof with a clear plan, hard work, how to get on with other people from many different backgrounds, first aid, health and safety, physical and mental robustness, how to give to others, administration and clerical skills, and more to boot.
Due to the nature of the job, I came across many different managers of differing abilities, approachability an work ethic at all levels of the organisation. each had one brought something to the table to learn from and have all made me the person that I am today.
In each place that I worked there was an instant connection with pretty much all colleagues that I worked with. Although we all had our good and bad points, we all knew that and worked off each other to get the job done.
Some of the hardest parts of the job was being away from friends, family and home, but that can also be some of the best parts of the job also. I loved travelling the world, being with really great friends/colleagues and experiencing life as many do not get the chance to do.
Pros
The whole experience
Cons
Having to leave
Varied and challenging
Housing Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 January 2018
Working for the MOD is every changing, i have learnt a great deal from working for MOD in different areas such as HR and Finance. I very much enjoy working with the military and the every changing environment.
A Force in crisis!
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire8 January 2018
The role of a Ministry Defence Police officer has become either too specialized or, too inflexible. The shift work has become boring and monotonous.
Senior Management at the highest levels are incompetent, having no grasp at what is going on at station level nor taking on board the soundings of officers on station.
The Force fails to retain officers, due to the above factors.
Investor in people
Vetting Officer (Current Employee) –  National7 January 2018
Variable job roles within the organisation and opportunity given to employees to advance. Relatively good work life balance, considerate employer with good HR policies and procedures in place.
Pros
Good employer
Cons
Perks have diminished in recent years