UK Ministry of Defence
UK Ministry of Defence Employee Review

MOD Police

20 February 2019
A workplace which is very institutionalised and reluctant to change.

Senior Managment Chief Inspector and above locally very incompetent and self serving. No care for welfare of basic bobby.

Local management, Sergeant and Inspector predominantly very commendable.

Career progression opportunities are available. But, please be aware it is an incredibly tedious job, with very little challenges and most of a working shift can be spent idle and with little to challenge the mind.

Retirement age is also 67, which is ludicrous to expect a 66 year old to bear body armour and firearms and competently complete Authorised Firearms Officer training as detailed by College of Policing.
Pros
Good local management, opportunities to progress/specialise
Cons
Poor senior management, tedious work, little challenge and institutionally adverse to change.
10 January 2018
Team Leader (Former Employee) - Glasgow
From the first day to the last there was never a 'typical day'. That is one of the many reasons that I loved the job, each day was different. even when you thought you knew what the day ahead would bring, something or other cam up and the day would change.
I learned many skills during my time in the MOD, many are not much use in the 'real world' but some are, they include, team work, how to organise at speed, thinking on the hoof with a clear plan, hard work, how to get on with other people from many different backgrounds, first aid, health and safety, physical and mental robustness, how to give to others, administration and clerical skills, and more to boot.

Due to the nature of the job, I came across many different managers of differing abilities, approachability an work ethic at all levels of the organisation. each had one brought something to the table to learn from and have all made me the person that I am today.

In each place that I worked there was an instant connection with pretty much all colleagues that I worked with. Although we all had our good and bad points, we all knew that and worked off each other to get the job done.

Some of the hardest parts of the job was being away from friends, family and home, but that can also be some of the best parts of the job also. I loved travelling the world, being with really great friends/colleagues and experiencing life as many do not get the chance to do.
Pros
The whole experience
Cons
Having to leave
29 March 2014
Administration Officer (Current Employee) - Glasgow, SCT
work is varied and used to be challenging and fun
a lot of the people in the building I work in, of various ranks, are really good to work with and try to be as helpful as they can

unfortunately my current situation and relationship with my direct management are not good

other management are easier to work with and for

I used to really enjoy my job, the variety of tasks was always challenging. My closest co-workers are good people and we all try to help each other as best we can
17 February 2014
MoD Guard (Former Employee) - Glasgow, SCT
The job could be mundane as it was security duties and driving but mainly security . There was a great team of people which made it a very enjoyable place to be . The stores delivery side of the job was great fun , working along side military people and civilians , who have a crazy but fun sense of humour . The hardest part of the job was long hours every week , plus even longer hours as i very often covered for work mates who were either on holiday or off on sick leave .
Pros
Because of the long hours the pay was great . I worked beside some brilliant people .
Cons
Very long hours .
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.