UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews for Police Officer

Police Officer17 reviews
United Kingdom17 reviews
Good job if you are young and into firearms, paid for what you can do rather than what you do. A lot of intense training and fitness testing, doesn't fit the actual job
Worked for the MoD nearly 40 years. They believe in a good work life balance sports, clubs etc.
Heavily into diversity and inclusion.

Management can be hit and miss and in some departments shocking!
Pros
Opportunities and fairly relaxed work environment.
Cons
Poor management
A challenging Role in challenging times . A highly trained role that was constantly assessing and re assessing your abilities as a Firearms Officer . Always having to stay ahead of what was happening throughout the world in relaion to Terrorism etc
Pros
Highly trained role and challenging
Cons
Poor Work/Life ballance
Good career advancement possibilities upon completion of 17 week training course and two year probation. Specialist Police positions open to successful applicants in a shorter time frame than most Home Office forces.
Shift work - 12 hour shifts (4 on / 4 off) can be tough on work/life balance. Overtime can be limited but is available.

Specialist Firearms Development Training and resolving problems and issues for site employees and members of the public as well as maintaining the consistent security of establishments gives a sense of job satisfaction. Generally good support from line managers and upper higher ranking staff.
Pros
Flexible Shift rotations
Cons
I performed various admin functions in services within the MoD. They offered me training and opportunities which having not gone to University I took advantage of.
The organisation needs to get with the 21st century. The only positive is that we get paid. Youngsters who want blues and twos, do not apply here please for your own sake
The role of a Ministry Defence Police officer has become either too specialized or, too inflexible. The shift work has become boring and monotonous.
Senior Management at the highest levels are incompetent, having no grasp at what is going on at station level nor taking on board the soundings of officers on station.

The Force fails to retain officers, due to the above factors.
good place for policing not like the home office can get really busy especially when there is a joint warrior on dealing with other countries sailors whilst in port
Pros
good working enviroment
Cons
I served over 17 years in the RN and it is more than an employer but a way of life. My colleagues are family. I would recommend joining the Royal Navy to anybody.
I was a police officer for 32 years working in various departments within the job. I did'nt go for promotion as I was happy to stay in the rank I was holding. I gained a lot of life skills through different situations in police work that I had to deal with.
A typical day at work would be 12hr days or nights reporting for duty, getting the necessary equipment for the duty that I would be carrying out that day and then reporting to my post and relieving the officer there so that they could go home.

You work in sections so you build a raport with the officers in your own section and make some very good friends.

The hardest part of the job is having to do shift work and working the weekends.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the team work and the friends you make and the moneys not to bad either.
Pros
Good job for advancement in rank
Cons
Shift Work
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Ministry of Defence?
great job plenty of variety opportunities to develop professionally and personally. Good promotion prospects if you so desire. Be prepared for shift work.
oWorking as part of a close-knit team undertaking operations in the southeast regions.

oThe role required the team to carry firearms, and as such, the ability to stay calm under pressure and keep a level head was of the utmost importance together with the resilience to stay alert for up to 12 hours at a time in all conditions.
varied depending on what station I was at. Main role was uniformed policing of the MOD estate. Management at the lower levels in this organisation are fair. The more senior the less willing to communicate effectively with staff. Co workers were on the whole fine.
Cons
budget restraints
Reported for duty then detailed to a duty for that day, armed foot and mobile patrol duties, and non armed security foot and mobile patrols carried out duty in control room, monitoring entry and exit of authorized personnel being cooped up in the control room was the worst part of the job but any job outside was good even when the weather was inclement.
Pros
colleagues were good to work with
Cons
petty management
As Deputy SPo & Enquiry Officer no two days are the same, colleagues are brilliant and work varied.
Pros
good salary
Cons
can be long days
One of a small team of Detectives, managed by a Crime Manager, (Det Inspector), responsible for investigating crime, in Greater London, and Kent, which impacts significantly on the Ministry of Defence's operational capabilities.
Working unsupervised as a team or alone, investigating cases allocated by the Crime Manager.

The hardest pat of my job, was having to work away from home.This was somewhat tempered by the fact that I enjoyed my work so much, being allowed autonomy, over my workload, and trusted to manage my time, and case load.
Pros
working unsupervised, challenging case load.
Cons
working away from home.
Typical day starts at 0600 hours.If I am on a mobile beat then some buildings have to be checked that there has not been any alarms or damage. Then when employees arrive, cursory searches take place. During the course of the day, building, personnel, vehicle searches all take place within the depot. Maybe courses are taking place i.e. personal safety, firearms tactics, health & safety etc. For me the hardest part of the job is getting out of bed at 4.30 am to get ready for work. Most of my co-workers are professional and have a very good manner in dealing with the public.
Pros
satisfactory pension scheme
Cons
shift work with long hours.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.
UK Ministry of Defence Reviews by Location