UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews for Communications Officer

Educational
Information Officer, Corporate Communications (Former Employee) –  London9 September 2017
I enjoyed this role and could see how my efforts contributed to wider policies intended to make the UK a better place. In particular I enjoyed the strategic nature of my position.
Good
Deputy Media and Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Coningsby4 April 2016
Good place to work and a very busy station - great facilities and opportunities too. My third time back and I enjoy the Unit - some top class leisure facilities and the cafes/canteens are very good.
A very busy position with great responsibily, job satisfaction.
Communications Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Colchester, ENG11 May 2015
On a day shift work would start at 07:30 through to 18:30, take over any backlog work from the night before, ensure that a correct handover has been completed and you are 100% sure of what is going on before the night shift goes off.

Complete the required tasks as requested to the highest standard as possible.

Due to the nature of the role I cannot say much more.
Pros
Great Job Satisfaction, good working team
Cons
sometimes working a month without a day off.
Busy, interesting organisation
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  London21 October 2014
Every day brings new challenges. Though the core business of communicating official announcements online for our internal and external audiences remains constant, the requirements for the delivery of each one are varied. One morning I could be simply pasting a colleague's press release into a content management system, or I could be off to interview a brigadier about the challenges he will face during his next tour of Afghanistan before returning to the office to write up my copy to a tight deadline. In both scenarios, I would also source appropriate and interesting accompanying imagery.

Working alongside an interesting and diverse community of civilian and military colleagues has been great, and certainly one of the perks of the job.

I have developed a range of transferable communications skills, from copywriting and subediting to using digital technologies such as social media, multimedia production and editing, and working with various content management systems.

In an organisation as large and diverse as the Ministry of Defence, managers can vary, and personalities can clash, as in every other walk of life. I have been fortunate to have had a number of great managers, who have given me support and opportunities to grow and develop my range of skills. It's no surprise, but government work is bureaucratic. This can slow down processes and be frustrating for those who aren't used to working in such a risk-averse environment. It's an important consideration to take into account when deciding whether or not to take that public sector post.

As a civil servant working
  more... for a huge, high profile government department such as the MOD, professionalism is imperative. Both ministers and the general public expect a high quality service, and accuracy and attention to detail are critical for a government communicator. The busy, high profile nature of the role is one of its biggest challenges but also makes it all the more rewarding when you deliver a great piece of work.  less
Pros
Varied, interesting work and colleagues
Cons
Bureaucratic
Excellent people to work for
EO Comms & Heritage Officer (Current Employee) –  Upavon29 January 2014
Of all my postings within the MOD, working with the Gurkhas has been the best of them all.
I have been treated with nothing but respect and have met some wonderful people in my time served here.
Caring, understanding and very patient employers who stood by me when my husband, my mother and father, and my mother in law all died in 12 months, two of them from cancer.
I have learnt many things, being an editor of a magazine is the one I am most proud of. It's hard, time consuming but the final result is worth all the hard work.