UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews for Civil Servant

Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury31 July 2018
Dealing with all ranks at all levels
Enjoyable place to work
Good management
Staff benefits
Tight deadlines
Most enjoyable part of the job was helping others
Civil Service
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  UK and Europe16 July 2018
20 years of working in numerous bases around the UK and Europe was the best job I have ever had. The variation and ability to change posts meant one was able to try something new and gain experience in a myriad of areas from personnel to engineering.
Fantastic Career
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  London, High Wycombe, Salisbury, Germany, Bristol8 May 2018
I had a fantastic career with the MOD, had the opportunity to work in various locations, and in a variety of roles. The work was interesting and rewarding, loved working to support the work of the Armed Forces. I had opportunities that just don't come up in other companies - to attend university and study for a Masters Degree, to work overseas, to travel overseas, to negotiate with other Governments, to attend Parliament, to brief MPs. Some places and roles were better than others inevitably, but in the main the MOD was a great place to work.
Strict management structure
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  London21 November 2017
I worked in many locations during my time as a civil servant.

The structure in terms of the different levels of management was very strict and the decision making process could sometimes make it very difficult to get something agreed.

Having said that I found the working environment very pleasant and friendly and the staff on the whole were very motivated.
Pros
Very good pension
Cons
Frustrated because of the time taken to get a decision.
Many different roles and locationd
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Suffolk11 April 2017
It's been many years since I worked for this employer. I recall that it offered many locations to work and good job security with a reasonable pension.
Pros
Good pension and varied work
Cons
Mediocre pay
Great Career
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Folkestone, ENG20 January 2015
. I worked in a team enviroment and got on well with all my colleages.

. A typical day at work would be meeting visitors and contractors.
managing telephone calls and liasons with Emergency Services.

. The hardest part of the job was dealing with occurances that may arise beyond the every day duty.

. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friends I made and the people I met within my time of Service
Pros
the type of work
Cons
Out in all weather
Reasonable
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd Barracks12 January 2015
My most recent line Manager was brilliant, and it's a shame that I have had little time with them let alone being unable to actually perform many tasks whilst in the redeployment pool.

Before the redeployment pool, it simply had the feel of a big fish in a small pond, the work was quite easy, and I ended up spending some of the time looking deeper into the programs that I work with, challenging myself to see if I could do the work faster, setting up chained databases, where if I entered data on a specific line for one database, it would update the linked lines for presentation purposes, time-based data, where monthly and annual presentations would be complete either early or on time.
Pros
Good wages, easy tasks
Cons
Limited work for more than half the year (before redeployment pool)
Nice place to work
Civil Servant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS21 January 2014
The start of my day consists of checking emails to confirm plans for the day, then prepare all vehicles as required collecting the vehicles from other Army bases and refueling as necessary. My day then continues with travelling across the country to pick up personnel or stores as required. The days can be very long and tiring however the enjoyable part of my job is meeting army personnel as i deliver them to and from airports. The travelling is delegated between myself and co-workers to provide support to the army personnel. Team work is important to maintain the long hours providing good customer service.
Pros
Visiting places around the country
Cons
Bad pay.