UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews for Administrative Officer

Productive and enjoyable
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth Naval Base3 July 2019
I enjoyed working for the MoD both as a serving member of the Royal Navy and as a Civil Servant.

I served in Belfast with the Army whilst in the WRNS.

I have always had links with the MoD as my father was in the Army, I joined the WRNS and married a sailor!
Pros
Good discipline and management
Cons
Occasionally having to work unpredictable hours.
Excessive workloads for Juniors
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  various11 February 2019
The MOD is very varied - some jobs are boring with not enough to do, whilst others have extremely high workloads and stress levels.
It appears the more junior you are, the more work you have to do! Too many Government cutbacks have resulted in too much work for those who are left.
Pros
Good Leave Allowance
Cons
Too many staff cut backs
Learning Centre Advisor role
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire6 September 2018
I run monthly ECDL courses for learners, which includes advising potential learners, enrolling them onto the programme, assisting them with queries and encouraging them to completion of the qualification. I also assist with other general queries and arranging for learners attending Functional Skills courses to do pre-course diagnostics.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
the role can ne repetitive
Not much room for promotion
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool11 January 2018
Flexible hours and good work life balance with plenty of benefits, but poor wages and no chance of Advancement with job cuts. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor wages
Long Hours with limited support
Regimental Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  London1 November 2017
You are expected as a civilian to do far more than you should. Line manager is never around to assist or aid you. Little or no professional development.
Great colleagues but restrictive cutbacks
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 September 2017
Working paper and electronic work queues.

Many packages learned.

Management is fine but a little restricted due to Government cutbacks.

Workplace culture is average in my experience with many superb colleagues.

Hardest part working with restrictions and staff cutting constantly.

Best part many wonderful colleagues and flexi-time.
Pros
Flexi-time working
Cons
Cutbgacks
Fantastic Job
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol19 July 2017
Full training and support from management, excellent staff benefits and opportunity for advancement. Great career. Chance to travel and study for management roles. Excellent work life balance.
Pros
Security training advancement
Great flexibility for work-life balance.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 June 2017
Enjoyable place to work with many military characters inside the workplace, not much room for growth within the branch as not many civilian roles.

Main workflow can become repetitive, but plenty of opportunities to take on other tasks if you're willing to volunteer.

Relatively simple job, hardest part would be trying to please the several layers of management, sometimes poor communication between them can lead to confusion in the work being undertaken.

Exceedingly flexible with work-life patterns, a major bonus of the job.
Can't fault the job or employer
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Stirling29 August 2016
The civil service is great to work for. Work at own pace, flexible working, mostly great colleagues. Very much enjoy my role. I start when I choose between the hours of 0700 and 0930.
Pros
Flexi time, management extremely flexible and understanding, family friendly
Cons
Many jobs are now being moved, or subcontracted out to external companies
Hard working environment enabling advancement on merit
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester21 April 2016
This was at times a difficult job, but it was always rewarding. Each day varied, after the initial routine tasks were completed. There was a thrill of being part of an important organisation. It is difficult to present a balanced review after so long unfortunately.
Pros
Good working conditions, a decent wage, advancement prospects based on merit, a varied workload, a good culture within the office
Cons
Always under the threat of redundancy due to cutbacks
Good workplace
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ENG20 October 2015
Extremely busy recruiting environment., due to the high volume of callers I keep calm and polite. I have a good working relationship with management and colleagues and offer assistance towards a smooth working operation within my department, The hardest part of my job is leaving work unfinished for the following day and also disappointing clients who don't succeed in getting through the recruiting process. The most enjoyable part of my job is making people happy and offering my services to people.
Demanding Challenging Productive Ending in good result
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeenshire11 October 2015
Benefits of the job role .
Busy working environment adapt to changes daily,
whilst working under pressure. No day was the same.
Monday to Friday Flexible working hours, holiday pay and pension
Childcare Scheme
Pros
Developed further skills, Time management, which i can transfer accross to future employer
Cons
Demands can outstretch resources, which can have a detrimental effect on the service
Fun environment place to work
Administration Assistant/ Officer (Former Employee) –  Luton / London29 June 2015
Learned a lot of Computer skills
Issued Army Kit
Made refreshments
Set Up meetings for the Quarter Master and colleagues in the hall.
Worked at Sandringham races.
Pros
Smokers room
Cons
Travel is a bit of a struggle
Good at the time
Administrative Officer, Communications (Former Employee) –  London23 October 2014
Worked there for many years, met many good people, travel links include Embankment, Westminster, Charing Cross, for British Rail & Underground links close links to Strand, Tottenham Road, Oxford Street for shopping food outlets.
If you are career minded then this might be the area of work for you, it could create links to other Government Offices, Cabinet, Foreign & Commonwealth, Home Offices
Pros
Travel links are good
Cons
High security area, ie, 10 Downing St
Friendly place to work
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Hereford, ENG10 April 2014
A friendly place to work. There is always time to complete personal fitness but hard work is required. The more effort you put in the more you will get in return.
Some people are fun and helpful
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT29 March 2014
work is varied and used to be challenging and fun
a lot of the people in the building I work in, of various ranks, are really good to work with and try to be as helpful as they can
unfortunately my current situation and relationship with my direct management are not good
other management are easier to work with and for
I used to really enjoy my job, the variety of tasks was always challenging. My closest co-workers are good people and we all try to help each other as best we can
Supportive and good team culture
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe10 March 2014
A typical day at work would be organising my days work so I knew what I had to do on that day and any deadlines I had to meet; taking phone calls and dealing with any queries that arised. Having had 3 jobs within the MOD I learnt about the 3 different areas, what they did and how they were connected in the overall MOD. I worked with staff at all levels who supported me in everyway from work related issues to issues outside of work. The hardest part of the jobs was adapting to the continual changes within the MOD and the most enjoyable part of the jobs was working with friendly and supportive colleagues.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Travel to work
Productive & fun workplace
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, ENG21 January 2014
Interaction with personnel was easy. I found my fellow team members helpful and encouraging.
Pros
Convenient Location
Cons
Lack of communication
Productive and learning experience
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, ENG14 January 2014
My day to day job varies as Welfare Support and being the first point of contact within this organisation i have to adhere to every caller and the different cases that are put to me, along the way i learn how best to deal with upset or difficult clients as well as gaining more and more experience every. I can always look towards management for support and knowledge as they are always on hand to help that to includes my co-workers i enjoy working with a team and feel i excel from this. It can be extremely hard working with service personnel's families considering some of the line of work that the service men & women have to carry out however the most enjoyable part of my day is helping to solve some of the difficulties that these families are going through and seeing a smile on their faces.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
N/a
Admin/Clerical