UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in York

York10 reviews
Poor Management that don't know the staff they manage, asked to do more than capable to do, get no specific thanks for going above and beyond the job doing
MOD or Civil Service in general would be excellent for someone who is a hard worker and wants to leave behind a poorly paid retail job for better money and work life balance. However, advancement can be difficult. I feel I suffered from being very willing early on in my career which made me desirable to management. Whilst they worked hard to keep me in a role I tended to get given a very wide variety of tasks which often were not related to the role I was employed in - ended up becoming something of a "jack of all trades master of none" and ultimately took the decision to leave when my team was disbanded and my role disestablished due to the work moving to a different site. I was given the option of staying and being redeployed, however decided not to as I wanted change of career and to have a more focused job role than I had experienced with MOD previously.
Pros
Good pension, job security, good work-life balance.
Cons
Stagnant culture, old fashioned management styles, very driven by "box-ticking".
Much more structured and driven than the Ministry of Justice. Professional Management in place and goals and objectives clearly set. Full training given and Line management happy to assist when new items appear.
Pros
Great Atmosphere and a structured day
Cons
Throughout my career I have served in Scotland, England and Northern Ireland which included both uniform operational duties and CID . I have gained academic development through police funding including my IOSH qualification. Working in a professional and disciplined environment has made the experience rewarding.
Shift work has been the hardest part of the job trying to maintain a work/life balance with twelve hour shifts.

I have enjoyed the experience and diversity of the colleagues I have worked with over the years.
Pros
Responsibility and variety
Cons
Extended geographical work locations
Full on active days
Established self confidence

Time keeping is essential

Maintaining professional standards at all times when under pressure from every direction

Friendship
Pros
Skilled for life
Cons
long hours at times
The job is varied and is busy due to dealing with Reservists pay and maintaining their personal records. A typical day is just doing what comes in as the day is dictated by the queries/changes in circumstances of the Reservists. The salary is average for admin work, but the job has a lot of stability. I have learnt a new skill, as in the process of payroll, which is an area of work I have not been in before. The military are good to work for as they are very family orientated and have a very flexible approach to domestic life outside of the workplace. I have regular contact with the management team and we meet up on a regular basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
Family Orientated
Cons
Not a lot of flexibility in the working hours.
The people you work with are from different background with whom you become friends and sometimes bad times are good as everybody goes through the same situation.
Pros
Great people and salary
Cons
no job satisfaction due to less manpower and same amount of work
They say the job is the best kept secret in the MOD .
Management within the job is poor.

Great for work/life balance, but not taxing on the brain.
Pros
Shift system/ time off
Cons
can be mundane
a new challenge everyday working with an amazing proffesional team.
My day to day today tasks involved ensuring that my admin staff where aware of all current activities within the training department. I ensured that all training logistics were fully in place for the current day and for future firearms manadatory training. Daily sitreps to my immediate line manager, briefing the Divisional commander of all problems that could impact on operational capability of police officers. The most difficult part of the job was the 'changing of goal posts' and policy by senior management and the lack of training facilities and venues. e most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction that was felt when training exercises and courses ran smoothly and full compliance of all mandatory training was fully achieved.
Pros
Good team ethics and fair immediate line management
Cons
uncertainty of the future of public service departments
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Ministry of Defence?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.