UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in Portsmouth

Portsmouth13 reviews
I enjoyed working for the MoD both as a serving member of the Royal Navy and as a Civil Servant.

I served in Belfast with the Army whilst in the WRNS.

I have always had links with the MoD as my father was in the Army, I joined the WRNS and married a sailor!
Pros
Good discipline and management
Cons
Occasionally having to work unpredictable hours.
I was not happy and felt i was not appreciated. Strong military culture. Difficult for a black person to get promoted, even with a degree. The prospect of moving to a different job is zero to none
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the RN, however, stability is now non-existent and work\life balance is questionable. If you have no responsibilities or commitments this is a perfect job for you, with promotion prospects.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, holiday allowance, security.
Cons
No stability, poor work/life balance, no union and therefore no say, an expectation to work all hours at no notice, sometimes for months on end.
Working for the M.O.D is a great job to do, plenty of responsibilities and lots to learn. The wage increases am afraid has been limited to 1% per year for a very long time and not good. Pension is good.
Great people to work with and more responsibilities being added all the time.
Pros
Good mates. Good holiday entitlement. Lots to do.
Cons
12 Hour shifts. Your body clock gets confused.
Enjoyable place to work with many military characters inside the workplace, not much room for growth within the branch as not many civilian roles.

Main workflow can become repetitive, but plenty of opportunities to take on other tasks if you're willing to volunteer.

Relatively simple job, hardest part would be trying to please the several layers of management, sometimes poor communication between them can lead to confusion in the work being undertaken.

Exceedingly flexible with work-life patterns, a major bonus of the job.
MOD(N) as a Civil Servant

Always some different challenges each day.

Never shirk away from hard decisions or accept half hearted solutions.

Good working relationship with higher management.

Extremely professional and outward thinking culture.

Hardest part of the job was balancing so many tasks/responsibilities in time available. Yet rewarding feeling when you did just that, day in day out.

BABCOCK as a contractor to MOD(N)

As above.

Generally good working relationship with immediate higher management.

Atmosphere of uncertainty, especially during initial changeover, .

Maintaining high standards despite the challenges.
Pros
Continuity of working pattern and the sense of humour of colleagues within RN/MOD
Cons
Change of management style as a contractor
I served over 17 years in the RN and it is more than an employer but a way of life. My colleagues are family. I would recommend joining the Royal Navy to anybody.
Work for the royal navy for 4.5 years good pat job stability and the only down side is being away from home o much and being to under manned so there is a lot job stress and a lot of stress put on us as sailors
Pros
good pension
Cons
As a member of the Royal Navy you work within a structured organisation. Promotion for those who are willing and wanting to progress
No two days were the same.
I learned so much about CCTV that I would not have known if I hadn't worked here.

We all got on well together and worked as a part of a team.
Cons
Can be mundane but steady competitive salary with enhancements and plenty of time off
My day to day job varies as Welfare Support and being the first point of contact within this organisation i have to adhere to every caller and the different cases that are put to me, along the way i learn how best to deal with upset or difficult clients as well as gaining more and more experience every. I can always look towards management for support and knowledge as they are always on hand to help that to includes my co-workers i enjoy working with a team and feel i excel from this. It can be extremely hard working with service personnel's families considering some of the line of work that the service men & women have to carry out however the most enjoyable part of my day is helping to solve some of the difficulties that these families are going through and seeing a smile on their faces.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
N/a
Left MOD on Voluntary Early Release (VERS) after 24 years service in March 2012
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.