UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in London

London62 reviews
A huge learning curve at first but there were so many helpful colleagues, it was quite easy to join to team. Very fast paced, working simultaneously on several high value and complex projects. Lots of responsibility in leadership and decision making but this was the challenge I was looking for and I love the job.
Pros
Friendly colleagues; challenging work;high value, complex projects
Cons
Lots of process and bureaucracy
Added value working with the Armed Forces
Interesting culture

Challenging HR role with a mixture of people issues in performance management, well-being, leadership, pay and reward and talent management etc.
Not all days were the same there some days really busy other days it isn't it's quiet a interesting job as u get to do different things each week on a Rota base
Good work life balance. Pay as with all public sector jobs is poor. Promotion prospects is not done via work performance but instead how well you get on with your boss.
An interesting and varied scope of work, rarely the same issues on subsequent days. The style of management is also highly varied. The work-place culture is relaxed. The hardest part of the job is navigating through complex HR processes to deliver annual staff appraisals. The most enjoyable part is the varied work.
Pros
Job security and varied and interesting work.
Cons
Inconsistent management and beurocrattic HR processes
Excellent career to start your journey of life with
Teaches discipline, integrity and above all else gives you ownership of life.

Everyone should have a stint of this life.
Pros
Excellent career
Cons
Great place to work with many departments to bounce around whilst being in employed. The working culture is very old fashion and the technology used is 2 years behind
Pros
Felix work
Cons
old Fashion culture
Progesstion was a zero, there was bulling within the management and they made you feel like a robot prisoner. I hope it isn’t the same in other Amey sites but the one I worked was awful, don’t know how I stayed for one year!
Good career option when I started work in the Ministry of Defence back in the 1990s. Good pay and pension. Reasonably secure, wide range of locations and areas you can work in.
The MoD is another typically bureaucratic govt. department. The plus side is that defending and protecting the nation has a certain satisfaction to it. Typically, like any high level department, incompetent workers will always try to pin their lack of productivity or the poor quality of their work on others. Management are very slow to react to almost anything, but overall everybody and every department appears to be very professional.
Pros
Nice central London location
Cons
Bureaucracy
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Ministry of Defence?
Life within a Regiment can become tedious, routine broken by sporadic exercises. Huge periods spent with enormous responsibility only to be treated like children upon return to usual routine.

As the Army has a manning crisis currently the work/life balance is out of the window. People who claim to have issues to avoid duties are treated favourably and personnel who just get on with things suffer the most.

Workplace culture goes through phases, either relaxed or full on with very little in between.
Pros
Travel, Decent money
Cons
massive periods away doing repetative activities, treated like a child.
Some highly motivated and competent individuals, especially in more senior roles doing important jobs that really matter. Often underappreciated but a highly rewarding career step.
Pros
Professional structures
Cons
Pay
Experience depends on the directorate, floor and team you work in. I enjoyed some roles more than others. After 3 years, it was time for a new challenge.
Stability. Progression. Flexible working. Travel. Development opportunities. Variety. Personal development. Government. Pension scheme. International.
My main role also includes duties as IT Security Officer (ITSO) and Building Protection Officer (BPO). This means regularly managing on site security assets held by various MOD partner lodger units, conducting audits, spot checks, controlling the movement of assets classified Secret and above.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Seems to be a healthy working place as the represenatative Andy Gillman had displayed a great ersonality and took the time out to help me and the rest of my peers.
Interesting work, lots of opportunities to get involved in interesting projects and "extra-curricular" activities. Frustrating career progression at times. Good work-life balance.
I had a fantastic career with the MOD, had the opportunity to work in various locations, and in a variety of roles. The work was interesting and rewarding, loved working to support the work of the Armed Forces. I had opportunities that just don't come up in other companies - to attend university and study for a Masters Degree, to work overseas, to travel overseas, to negotiate with other Governments, to attend Parliament, to brief MPs. Some places and roles were better than others inevitably, but in the main the MOD was a great place to work.
The organisation needs to get with the 21st century. The only positive is that we get paid. Youngsters who want blues and twos, do not apply here please for your own sake
The work place was very stressful , Long working hours of 12 hour shifts, difficult to plan annual leave. Difficult to have breaks during the working day
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Long Hours
I worked in many locations during my time as a civil servant.

The structure in terms of the different levels of management was very strict and the decision making process could sometimes make it very difficult to get something agreed.

Having said that I found the working environment very pleasant and friendly and the staff on the whole were very motivated.
Pros
Very good pension
Cons
Frustrated because of the time taken to get a decision.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.