UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in Corsham

Management not able to make decisions
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Corsham, Wiltshire5 September 2018
I worked for MOD for most of my career and most of that time was fulfilling , interesting and exciting, Unfortunately due to policy changes and management chain changes, my last 6 years were difficult. I was permanently on 24 hour call out, responding within the hour yet was expected to be at my desk at 0700hrs when I could have been working all night. Management had no idea of the complexities of my department.
The most enjoyable part of my post was working with the military who were always positive and had a 'can do' attitude
The worst was attempting to explain my position to people who didn't want to know
Pros
travel to out of the way places
Cons
very long hours
Ambitious, but lack of skilled managers lets it down
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  Corsham, Wiltshire15 July 2018
Working in a specialised tech job (DevOps), the opportunity to advance your career and salary are great. However, the lack of knowledge and guidance form management who have little technical knowledge let the projects down and therefore hard to advance yourself in the job, department and sector.
Great place
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corsham12 March 2018
I lived in an ideal location to this workplace so I could walk everyday. The office had a great frinedly vibe to it and everyone got along and helped each other.
Limited Resources and Poorly Managed Departments
Information Assurance Head (Current Employee) –  Corsham4 April 2017
MOD had a reputation for providing secure jobs and plenty of other benefits. Most of the benefits have dwindled away and there are so few people to undertake most areas of work, those that remain have far too much to do to be able to do it well.
The best way to succeed in MOD is as an external contractor, pay is better and you do not get responsibility for disgruntled staff.
Pros
Still fairly secure
Cons
No work life balance, poor facilities, very poor direction.
Lots of opportunities
Senior Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Corsham, Wiltshire20 February 2017
Good training and advancement opportunities . Widely varying different types of work. Good benefits in terms of flexible hours and holidays. Hard to transfer into different areas
Pros
Good holidays
A great place to work
Configuration Manager for M.O.D (Former Employee) –  Corsham7 May 2016
Supporting our troops on active service is a very satisfying role. The MoD do this very very well despite constant re-organisation and some very under-performing out-sourcing companies.
Pros
Great canteen
Cons
Militant unions