UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in Bristol

Bristol42 reviews
I review company’s ways of working and suggest improvements, including how to make full use of new digital technologies. Learn new procedures and help colleagues to do the same. Query any issues that arise from changes in a suitable way. Respond in an effective and appropriate manner when emergencies arise.
Typically a day in the life of a Commercial Manager was a busy mix of negotiating and placing contract amendments, staff management and stakeholder engagement
It is what you make it basically, it can be driven and frenetic or it can be relaxed

You will get to work with a huge variety of people, both military and civilian, across all ranks/levels

The hardest part of the job is managing to stay on top of the large amount of mandated training alongside your full-time work

The most enjoyable is the camaraderie amongst teams, especially with the military personnel.

There is plenty of opportunity for advancement/promotion and you can even switch disciplines across Project Management, Commercial, Finance, Logistics Management and many more.

Although there is no official dress code it's a good idea to go to any interview "suited and booted"

Some teams are much more relaxed about office attire but there are still one or two team leaders who frown upon anything less than trousers, shirt & tie, unless it's "casual Friday"!
The work is varied, some days long and hectic and others are less busy. The organisation is improving from a previously reactive organisation to a proactive and efficient one.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Staircases in the buildings are lethal
The workplace can be very relaxed, it depends on who you work for as individual managers have their own way of managing staff and you can get the whole spectrum.
Worked for the MoD nearly 40 years. They believe in a good work life balance sports, clubs etc.
Heavily into diversity and inclusion.

Management can be hit and miss and in some departments shocking!
Pros
Opportunities and fairly relaxed work environment.
Cons
Poor management
Good office environment, flexi time is a big bonus. Good scheme and chances to progress although compared to industry salaries are low, probably due to the good work life balance.
Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) should be a great place to work as it offers (in my experience) unparalleled work-life balance, a generous pension and a whole wealth of other associated benefits (flexible/agile working, discounts, gym etc.).

Unfortunately the organisation is stuck with some historic Civil Service policies and employee rights meaning that it is nigh on impossible to get rid of ineffective and lazy workers. To make matters worse there is a culture of avoiding conflict amongst management meaning that rather than addressing the problems (useless staff), the problem is shifted on to someone else (staff moves.
Pros
Great work-life balance
Cons
Lack of leadership and decent management
A good company for career development and promotes equality and diversity. It has good culture for tolerance and excellence. The people are really nice and approachable
Cons
There is little true Engineering work to be undertaken and you have to fight to not be moved away from it. Your trained skills are undervalued and management will seek to make you fit in any unfilled role they have however the work life balance is extremely good. They offer 25 increasing to 30 days holiday as standard and operate a true flexi system allowing employees to take up to 36 extra days a year without management approval. They also allow you to work the hours you need to fit around you life, for example I start very early and am able to pick my daughter up from school whilst maintaining my full time hours.
OK place to work however the new pay scheme is awful. It should go back to how it was before with the pay grades and better progression opportunities.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Ministry of Defence?
amazing

typical day at work

started off with getting the job done

culture was brilliant

hardest part of job was not being able to eat at certain times
I would recommend working at MOD Abbeywood to anyone. Although the Civil Service at times has a negative persona I have not experienced anything other than a professional and forward leaning company.
 Enhanced existing OAGIS Noun (contain grouped business specific data that is being communicated (e.g. PurchaseOrder, SalesOrder, Quote, Route, Shipment, etc.) by adding Overlay’s (Elements\Attributes).
Full training and support from management, excellent staff benefits and opportunity for advancement. Great career. Chance to travel and study for management roles. Excellent work life balance.
Pros
Security training advancement
Everyone for themselves , management let down need to take in to consideration regarding culture they say they have it but they do not classed a bullying if you have a voice.
Pros
Cons
life
Instructive. Some aspects subject to security restrictions. I learned a great deal about IT systems ans MoD procedures. Other aspects my be subject to security considerations.
While I was working at the Ministry of Defence I found the work very interesting and worth while.

I was employed as a Commercial Officer and I would edit and amend new and existing contracts.

The majority of the work was restricted but it was of a very important nature to save lives of service men and women serving in recent theatre of operations.

The hardest part of the work was checking that all materials complied to the stringent DEF CON Standards. I enjoyed being part of a team doing very important work that saved lives.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Whilst working with Mod Design for Support manager I have found the company understanding and willing to teach me within my role and further. I have progressed so much so am hoping to gain a job within the Mod. I thank everyone at Building 20x in filton Bristol, for making my time within the T26 project an enjoyable one.
Ensuring a clear defined audit route of monies spent to achieve programme expenditure across a wide number of financial outputs including fixed assets, development assets and resources.
Pros
Good Working Environment
Cons
Travel
The MOD presented me with a wide range of job and career opportunities with excellent training and work life balance. With salaries slightly above average of the Civil Service it was certainly a good place to work.
Pros
Opportunities / Work life balance
Cons
Grade & salary structure
My job was very busy and demanding but enjoyable. I enjoyed communicating with my customers both within the ministry of defence and with outside industries, I often dealt with urgent operational deficiencies alongside routine workloads. I always obtain a resolution to a problem no matter how difficult it could become. I enjoy working effectively with my co-workers sometimes working as a team to resolve an issue. The hardest part of the job is leaving a problem at work and not taking it home. I have gained various skills that allows me to adapt to different working situations and to complete all my work to a high standard;
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.