UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in Bristol

Cultural change required
Senior Finance Manager (Project Cost Controller) (Current Employee) –  Bristol1 October 2018
Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) should be a great place to work as it offers (in my experience) unparalleled work-life balance, a generous pension and a whole wealth of other associated benefits (flexible/agile working, discounts, gym etc.).

Unfortunately the organisation is stuck with some historic Civil Service policies and employee rights meaning that it is nigh on impossible to get rid of ineffective and lazy workers. To make matters worse there is a culture of avoiding conflict amongst management meaning that rather than addressing the problems (useless staff), the problem is shifted on to someone else (staff moves.
Pros
Great work-life balance
Cons
Lack of leadership and decent management
Career development
Programme Management Finance Lead (Former Employee) –  Bristol24 September 2018
A good company for career development and promotes equality and diversity. It has good culture for tolerance and excellence. The people are really nice and approachable
Cons
Lacking Engineering work and low pay, however extremely good work life balance
Technical Through Life Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 July 2018
There is little true Engineering work to be undertaken and you have to fight to not be moved away from it. Your trained skills are undervalued and management will seek to make you fit in any unfilled role they have however the work life balance is extremely good. They offer 25 increasing to 30 days holiday as standard and operate a true flexi system allowing employees to take up to 36 extra days a year without management approval. They also allow you to work the hours you need to fit around you life, for example I start very early and am able to pick my daughter up from school whilst maintaining my full time hours.
Ok
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol10 April 2018
OK place to work however the new pay scheme is awful. It should go back to how it was before with the pay grades and better progression opportunities.
cc mcc
project management (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 September 2017
amazing

typical day at work
started off with getting the job done
culture was brilliant
hardest part of job was not being able to eat at certain times
Flexible and cutting edge with HR policy
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 September 2017
I would recommend working at MOD Abbeywood to anyone. Although the Civil Service at times has a negative persona I have not experienced anything other than a professional and forward leaning company.
Challenging workplace
Data Modeller (Canonical Data Modelling) (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol19 August 2017
 Enhanced existing OAGIS Noun (contain grouped business specific data that is being communicated (e.g. PurchaseOrder, SalesOrder, Quote, Route, Shipment, etc.) by adding Overlay’s (Elements\Attributes).
Fantastic Job
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol19 July 2017
Full training and support from management, excellent staff benefits and opportunity for advancement. Great career. Chance to travel and study for management roles. Excellent work life balance.
Pros
Security training advancement
Not fun
Deputy Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol29 June 2017
Everyone for themselves , management let down need to take in to consideration regarding culture they say they have it but they do not classed a bullying if you have a voice.
Pros
Cons
life
Instructive
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol24 June 2017
Instructive. Some aspects subject to security restrictions. I learned a great deal about IT systems ans MoD procedures. Other aspects my be subject to security considerations.
Working at the Ministry of Defence
Commercial Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 April 2017
While I was working at the Ministry of Defence I found the work very interesting and worth while.

I was employed as a Commercial Officer and I would edit and amend new and existing contracts.

The majority of the work was restricted but it was of a very important nature to save lives of service men and women serving in recent theatre of operations.

The hardest part of the work was checking that all materials complied to the stringent DEF CON Standards. I enjoyed being part of a team doing very important work that saved lives.
Pros
Flexi Time
Educational and enjoyable
Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Filton Bristol16 March 2017
Whilst working with Mod Design for Support manager I have found the company understanding and willing to teach me within my role and further. I have progressed so much so am hoping to gain a job within the Mod. I thank everyone at Building 20x in filton Bristol, for making my time within the T26 project an enjoyable one.
Focused on ensuring value for the tax payers pound
Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol24 January 2017
Ensuring a clear defined audit route of monies spent to achieve programme expenditure across a wide number of financial outputs including fixed assets, development assets and resources.
Pros
Good Working Environment
Cons
Travel
Wide ranging opportunities
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol26 November 2016
The MOD presented me with a wide range of job and career opportunities with excellent training and work life balance. With salaries slightly above average of the Civil Service it was certainly a good place to work.
Pros
Opportunities / Work life balance
Cons
Grade & salary structure
A good place to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol23 October 2016
My job was very busy and demanding but enjoyable. I enjoyed communicating with my customers both within the ministry of defence and with outside industries, I often dealt with urgent operational deficiencies alongside routine workloads. I always obtain a resolution to a problem no matter how difficult it could become. I enjoy working effectively with my co-workers sometimes working as a team to resolve an issue. The hardest part of the job is leaving a problem at work and not taking it home. I have gained various skills that allows me to adapt to different working situations and to complete all my work to a high standard;
Some good and some bad
Part Time Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bristol11 July 2016
I work with a big team on various Receptions at different MOD sites. All the Receptions are different and some Receptions are busier and more stressful. We also work different shifts. It is a very varied role.
Pros
An exciting role
Cons
Not enough staff
interesting work
Supply chain manager f (Former Employee) –  Bristol15 April 2016
depends upon where you work and management some times good other times bad culture politics etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. clerical phone work some meeting occasional travel
A pleasant place to work
Executive officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, ENG1 February 2016
A busy long day is the norm.
I learned all my Computer skills from work experience as well as some in house training courses.
Management is very varied. Some are excellent while others are insensitive and rude.
Most co-workers were excellent and friendly.
Learning new things and completing tasks when under pressure and against tight deadlines.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
The travel to and from work
Amazing and Flexible
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol20 January 2016
I am still a full time employee at MOD and I really enjoy my work. I am applying for a part time position in another industry I am passionate about in order to diversify slightly.
Pros
very flexible working times
Excellent employer
Consultant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol27 October 2015
Fantastic experience, good opportunity for training and development. Working with the armed forces on cutting edge technologies. A great insight into the workings of HM forces.
Pros
Interesting