UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in Belfast

Belfast2 reviews
I was an Infantry soldier and trained class 2 Chef.

I was deployed to serve on an Operational Tour of Service in Afghanistan where i worked along side other Nato serving troops.

Upon return from operational deployment, i was awarded with a Nato Service Award Medal in recognition for services rendered to the people of Afghanistan and an Afghanistan Service Medal from Ministry of Defence - UK Armed Forces.

I enjoyed every challenge that the job came with and if it were not for the government budget cut backs which affected many people working in the Public sector, i would still be serving my country in the Armed Forces.
Pros
Subsidised meals, Accomodation, free travel, medical and dental care, adventure training
Cons
Long days and months being away from family
I always looked at my diary to look out for my shift hours and any other tasks that had to be accomplished for that day, week or month.
If I was working early shifts, I would get up at 0500 in the morning to get ready for shift. First thing was to report to the guard room and sign out for the keys to the Mess then proceed to duty station and be ready for work by 0600hrs.

Between 0600-0700 hours, I had to prepare breakfast for the troops. Set up the hot plate and monitor the hot plate and replenish each dish whenever stock levels went low.

Monitor cooking temperatures and recording readings taken at different intervals.

Between 0800-1000 hours, I would start making preparations for the soups, main course meals and all the vegetables to be used for the day.

Between 1000-1200 hours, cooking of all dishes for the Lunch would commence.

Get lunch ready by 1220 and service ready to start by 1230.

When I was not working in the barracks, I would be working along side the troops out in the field exercise practising infantry skills in shooting and cleaning rifles.

On operational duty in Afghanistan, I would do guard duties at different guard stations working along side other colleagues and monitoring movements around our location and report any thing suspicious to duty station/guard room.

I always worked with a team of other chefs when performing chef duties and if doing field exercises, worked along side other troops.

I always worked along side my station manager who would give briefs on tasks to be done for the day. If I was required
 - more...
Pros
Free accomodation, Meals, Transport, Education grants extended towards my studies
Cons
Travelling to far places and being away from home for long periods
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.
UK Ministry of Defence Reviews by Job Title