UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews in Belfast

Fun and Challenging
Infantry Soldier/Chef (Former Employee) –  Belfast, NIR25 January 2014
I always looked at my diary to look out for my shift hours and any other tasks that had to be accomplished for that day, week or month.
If I was working early shifts, I would get up at 0500 in the morning to get ready for shift. First thing was to report to the guard room and sign out for the keys to the Mess then proceed to duty station and be ready for work by 0600hrs.
Between 0600-0700 hours, I had to prepare breakfast for the troops. Set up the hot plate and monitor the hot plate and replenish each dish whenever stock levels went low.
Monitor cooking temperatures and recording readings taken at different intervals.
Between 0800-1000 hours, I would start making preparations for the soups, main course meals and all the vegetables to be used for the day.
Between 1000-1200 hours, cooking of all dishes for the Lunch would commence.
Get lunch ready by 1220 and service ready to start by 1230.
When I was not working in the barracks, I would be working along side the troops out in the field exercise practising infantry skills in shooting and cleaning rifles.
On operational duty in Afghanistan, I would do guard duties at different guard stations working along side other colleagues and monitoring movements around our location and report any thing suspicious to duty station/guard room.
I always worked with a team of other chefs when performing chef duties and if doing field exercises, worked along side other troops.
I always worked along side my station manager who would give briefs on tasks to be done for the day. If I was required
  more... some where else, he would coordinate my movements and where training was required, he would coordinate all my training needs.
I enjoyed working with a diverse group of people from different backgrounds and ages and working along side each other really improved on my team working skills and communication skills.
I must admit it was not easy working far away from home and working in far places like Afghanistan. I would miss home and my family but we always encouraged each other and did things together to keep morale high like doing team sports, and sharing things together like a family.
The most enjoyable thing with this job was doing my basic training in England. Turning a civilian into a soldier is not easy but with hard work and determination, I passed all my training and progressed on to do my Chef training where I successfully completed my class 3 and Class 2 training.
I miss Army life and would do it again and again as its so challenging and full of adventure.
Pros
Free accomodation, Meals, Transport, Education grants extended towards my studies
Cons
Travelling to far places and being away from home for long periods