UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

A rewarding career, with interesting work.
Business Lead (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 March 2019
An interesting and varied scope of work, rarely the same issues on subsequent days. The style of management is also highly varied. The work-place culture is relaxed. The hardest part of the job is navigating through complex HR processes to deliver annual staff appraisals. The most enjoyable part is the varied work.
Pros
Job security and varied and interesting work.
Cons
Inconsistent management and beurocrattic HR processes
Simply the Best
Soldier (Former Employee) –  London28 February 2019
Excellent career to start your journey of life with
Teaches discipline, integrity and above all else gives you ownership of life.

Everyone should have a stint of this life.
Pros
Excellent career
Cons
Lead Security Assurance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Corsham, Wiltshire23 February 2019
MOD is a large machine to work within, but it is very rewarding knowing that you are supporting the troops on the ground putting in the hard graft by ensuring the equipment that they have is as good as possible and works in the correct manner.
Mgs management ruin a good job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dorset21 February 2019
Was a good job very poor management who treat you badly if you got your own point of view then you wont get on in the minstry of defence guard service. Need managers who can manage in the job. Need to move with the modern security industry way behind the private security industry.
Pros
Use of camp gym
Cons
Poor management long hours
MOD Police
Police Constbale (Former Employee) –  Glasgow20 February 2019
A workplace which is very institutionalised and reluctant to change.

Senior Managment Chief Inspector and above locally very incompetent and self serving. No care for welfare of basic bobby.

Local management, Sergeant and Inspector predominantly very commendable.

Career progression opportunities are available. But, please be aware it is an incredibly tedious job, with very little challenges and most of a working shift can be spent idle and with little to challenge the mind.

Retirement age is also 67, which is ludicrous to expect a 66 year old to bear body armour and firearms and competently complete Authorised Firearms Officer training as detailed by College of Policing.
Pros
Good local management, opportunities to progress/specialise
Cons
Poor senior management, tedious work, little challenge and institutionally adverse to change.
Interesting and varied
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire Bristol ,13 February 2019
Great place to work, varied work as travelled across Europe and worked with all three services Army Navy and air force ,
liked the structure and disciplined approach
Pros
Great locations
good benefits
Welfare Officer (Current Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down13 February 2019
have worked with some great people

good leave

good salary

toil

great experiences

Training offered

no real routine

across all locations

no uniform
Pros
salary, leave
Cons
no routine
Excessive workloads for Juniors
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  various11 February 2019
The MOD is very varied - some jobs are boring with not enough to do, whilst others have extremely high workloads and stress levels.
It appears the more junior you are, the more work you have to do! Too many Government cutbacks have resulted in too much work for those who are left.
Pros
Good Leave Allowance
Cons
Too many staff cut backs
Mod
I.T Security (Former Employee) –  London7 February 2019
Great place to work with many departments to bounce around whilst being in employed. The working culture is very old fashion and the technology used is 2 years behind
Pros
Felix work
Cons
old Fashion culture
Would never go back.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 January 2019
Progesstion was a zero, there was bulling within the management and they made you feel like a robot prisoner. I hope it isn’t the same in other Amey sites but the one I worked was awful, don’t know how I stayed for one year!
secure job
Finance and administration officer (Former Employee) –  Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire19 January 2019
I was happy there, but my job was being centralised there and also here were rumours that the base was closing, so I decided to look for another job, so I tried housing.
MOD Police
Qualified quad bike instructor (Former Employee) –  RNAD Coulport12 January 2019
Good workforce generally with the usual bad apples all of whom seem to come from the higher ranks from which there arose some bullying/harassment who closed rank to protect each other. As I found out first hand that had a detrimental effect on my 24yr career! Wages and benefits were good but not the way senior management carried on. Federation help on this matter was pitiful!
Pros
Renumeration
Cons
Certain Senior Management
Productive and varied
Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant Technical (WO2) (Former Employee) –  Catterick Garrison7 January 2019
A days work varies from day to day, it all depends on what is the main mission that needs to be achieved.
Ample opportunities to gain further qualifications.
Diverse working conditions.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
Long deployments.
Hard
Lance Corporal (Assistant Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  global6 January 2019
Live it love it or get out! Hard days long nights and dangerous at times. #get fit to fight and ready to wait. Work hard play hard. Be the best and leave the rest behind.
Loved every minute of it
MoD Police (Former Employee) –  Hereford & Worcestershire6 January 2019
I had a good carer within the Ministry of Defence and due to the nature of my work I cannot put anything on here regarding the work.
I cannot say more.
Secure steady workplace with some excellent colleagues but not for everyone.
Operations & IT Services Manager (Former Employee) –  York, UK18 December 2018
MOD or Civil Service in general would be excellent for someone who is a hard worker and wants to leave behind a poorly paid retail job for better money and work life balance. However, advancement can be difficult. I feel I suffered from being very willing early on in my career which made me desirable to management. Whilst they worked hard to keep me in a role I tended to get given a very wide variety of tasks which often were not related to the role I was employed in - ended up becoming something of a "jack of all trades master of none" and ultimately took the decision to leave when my team was disbanded and my role disestablished due to the work moving to a different site. I was given the option of staying and being redeployed, however decided not to as I wanted change of career and to have a more focused job role than I had experienced with MOD previously.
Pros
Good pension, job security, good work-life balance.
Cons
Stagnant culture, old fashioned management styles, very driven by "box-ticking".
Dynamic and Organised
Avionics Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Worldwide18 December 2018
Teamwork is key in the military and nowhere does it better than the Royal Air Force.

Id recommend this as an organisation for everyone to join and get their skills while serving their country.
Pros
Travel
Cons
You might go to war.
Good career option
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  London12 December 2018
Good career option when I started work in the Ministry of Defence back in the 1990s. Good pay and pension. Reasonably secure, wide range of locations and areas you can work in.
Steady job for life, just go into it with your eyes open
Officer (Former Employee) –  East of England1 December 2018
Don't expect to do any real policing. It's an armed security role with very limited lateral movement of roles. Regimented working conditions. Has the potential to be a fantastic role, unfortunately the snr and middle management are less than dynamic and seem happy to plod along with the status quo. The workforce are a mix of lazy old sweats,retired ho officer's picking up a fat pension and police wage on top,and keen youngster's, unfortunately this keenness is soon driven from them due to the nature of the roles and the cba culture ( a result of the mundane nature of the role.
Pros
Shift pattern gives good amount of rest day's, Plenty of scope for ot if wanted, Decent training, Good cameraderie in the right stations
Cons
Very boring and repetitive work, Limited lateral movement, Promotion depends on often moving hundreds of miles. Mgt can be Very cliquish
good networking
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom21 November 2018
Really good experience and better communication standards, learn to adapt to the environment and learn more things everyday.

The hardest part is the maintenance like you have been given a job but you not qualified to do it and less manpower in the working environment
Pros
pay as you dine
Cons
extra long hours depending on number of workforce