UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

United Kingdom465 reviews
no room for individuals
You need to invest in the process/system. It doesn't fit all. If you are of the right calibre it will help you grow in so many realms. It will provide education, training in your chosen field of expertise and in others, promotion, diversification and great team building events all the while boosting confidence in your ability (NB-whilst remaining grounded). Your professional competence will grow as a result.
The biggest gain is the ability to function as a part of a team - true team spirit.

No room for individuals, however, it will help you achieve individual goals and aspirations as the coaching and mentoring (through said team ethos) is exemplary.
Very relaxed work ethic
Due to the work ethic, their is no push to improve the standards or level of output. Management are poor and very narrow minded, blinkered to development of all
Pros
Cons
poor management
If you cannot beat them join the culture of vultures
The challenges I have in my health today is caused by fellow soldiers who does nothing but bullies and discrimination against people they feel are better than them. Institutionalised racism is imbedded into the culture. You have no equal opportunities. Even when you go to court you can never win, so it's best to have your life and sanity at hand than joining. I recommend you go for a cleaning job than join the British army.
I review company’s ways of working and suggest improvements, including how to make full use of new digital technologies. Learn new procedures and help colleagues to do the same. Query any issues that arise from changes in a suitable way. Respond in an effective and appropriate manner when emergencies arise.
MInistry of Defence
It has been a privilege and an honour to be a Civil Servant over the last 6 years.

My time working on Blandford Camp has been enjoyable and rewarding.
Bullying culture exists mainly from ex and current army personnel
Definite bullying culture. Many ex-military officers raking in £££££s while underperforming. When challenged or when looking at 'change', you are met with downright bullying and huge ego. Higher management like to ignore this and brush it under the carpet. An external audit is required of many MOD / Army bases where harassment and bullying is rife.
Interesting
Good opportunity to advance your educational qualifications paid for by the Ministry of Defence.. Other opportunities to specialise in other areas like Coaching and Mentoring and carrying out assessments on fellow instructors, so great opportunity for Continued Personal Development
discrimination and jealously experienced on my new mercedes benz
Dismissed for gross misconduct on flexi time which was not true. My work was not an issue. I drove an old VW and when I changed my cars my corridor greetings stopped and i got sarcasm and envious comments from friends and staff. My line manager was not very happy with me and had planned my dismissal which I could not prove
Challenging but rewarding
During the 31 years working for the MOD, vast amount of knowledge and experience was gained, whilst building networks, working as a team, and obtaining trust within the business and across the UK MOD had its rewards and achievements in delivery. Sadly with all the UK government recent changes, where the MOD were instructed to selling off its sites to commercial companies, work practices and processes changed and reduction in resource was applied. Sadly lots of experience and knowledge were made redundant.
Snake pit filled with self serving hypocrites
OK, so I enjoyed my time there and loved my job. I was stretched, learned new skills, challenged and I got to make a difference. But, the moment I lost my temper with a manager who had been passively agreesively bullying me and harrassing me, and swore at her, I was fired for "gross misconduct". My bullying and harrassment acusation was conveniently lost and my mitigating circumstances dismissed off hand at appeal. You see, if you are entering the MOD at anything below D-band, get ready for a rough ride. In particular, as an industrial, the minute you question a manager's decision, you are in the firing line. You have to shut up and put up and the culture of "me first" and the sycophantic ways operated at management level and higher up in the management chain puts anybody below D-band into a "minion" category.
There is no respect, humanity or understanding from the higher ups. They just don't care about you.

Ignorance and arrogance is rife at the upper levels and they positively do not give a toss about anyone but themselves. I challenge any former employee to prove me wrong. And if you have any military in your management chain, pray that they like you because the green vs yellow clique that the MOD has cultivated at various camps - my experience at Kineton - will put you on the back foot the minute you try and make a difference or question the status quo.

The work atmosphere is casual in many ways and relaxed IF you surround yourself with the like minded. But be frugal with your trust as the knives are always out and NEVER trust the management because my experience, they
 - more...
Its not for me
would not recommend. Bad environment for new field staff - very clicky. poor salary's with massive work areas. no real benefits other than pension. Multiple hire cars from the offset.
Plenty of opportunities with great work-life balance
The MOD is a strange organisation to get used to. Lots of equipment, lots of policies, lots of processes, lots of abbreviations and lingo. The first few months are a challenge but eventually it gets easier and you realise the world is at your feet. Promotion. Other jobs. Other bosses. Interesting colleagues. But if you are keen then there is nothing to hold you back. The vetting takes a while but it is worth it.
N/a
Working for mod requires everything from security minded, attention to detail, professionalism and being able to fit in with all walks of life. Working with both civilian and service personnel.
Good employer
Typically a day in the life of a Commercial Manager was a busy mix of negotiating and placing contract amendments, staff management and stakeholder engagement
It is what you make it basically, it can be driven and frenetic or it can be relaxed

You will get to work with a huge variety of people, both military and civilian, across all ranks/levels

The hardest part of the job is managing to stay on top of the large amount of mandated training alongside your full-time work

The most enjoyable is the camaraderie amongst teams, especially with the military personnel.

There is plenty of opportunity for advancement/promotion and you can even switch disciplines across Project Management, Commercial, Finance, Logistics Management and many more.

Although there is no official dress code it's a good idea to go to any interview "suited and booted"

Some teams are much more relaxed about office attire but there are still one or two team leaders who frown upon anything less than trousers, shirt & tie, unless it's "casual Friday"!
Diverse and equal opportunities employment
The work is varied, some days long and hectic and others are less busy. The organisation is improving from a previously reactive organisation to a proactive and efficient one.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Staircases in the buildings are lethal
Fairly good - apart from pay
Pros - Flexi time, on site gym, holidays, secure job.

Cons - Very poor salary (Can earn over twice as much as a fitter with a nearby company), only progression is going into office based work, some of the management aren't very good.
Workplace Culture
The workplace can be very relaxed, it depends on who you work for as individual managers have their own way of managing staff and you can get the whole spectrum.
Challenging Role But Worth It.
I have spent in total around 25 years working for the MOD, in 2017 I received the Imperial Service Medal for 25 year 'Meritous Service'.
The MOD is what you choose to make of it, it has the potential to progress or remain in a position where you feel comfortable. They awill generally be flexible and treat you fairly, it is a service in which it is easy to become comfortable and hence less stressed than some external businesses.
RN is the best Navy in the world
Looking more forward to lead the world. Royal Navy is world modern Navy in this moment. There benefits, salary, travel and job security are amazing. Be Proud as a RN member.
Good place.
Good place to work. Good exposure to a number of systems to conduct a wide range of tasks. Allows for end to end exposure and full life cycle experience.
Stressful Environment
Poor Management that don't know the staff they manage, asked to do more than capable to do, get no specific thanks for going above and beyond the job doing
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Ministry of Defence. Our community is ready to answer.