UK Hydrographic Office

UK Hydrographic Office Employee Reviews

Warehouse Employment
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Warehouse20 November 2019
When I first started at the UKHO there was some good banter, team spirit etc. but, in the end, couldn't wait to leave as I felt unappreciated, undervalued and taken for a fool and falsely accused of bullying.

It became obvious to me that the company was not properly run with sub standard/questionable management, particularly if your face didn't fit.

HR were toothless when it came to the people on the shop floor.
Admin Boredom
Sales Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset12 May 2019
Not the greatest place to work hardly challenging, mind numbinf filing and lack of career progression if your face doesnt fit. management was questionable, HR useless
By far the best job I've ever had
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset2 September 2018
Colleagues and management are supportive and a pleasure to be around. There is no pressure to work more than your designated hours and the flexi system means that anything you do work extra you are encouraged to take back as time off.
There are always many opportunities for training whether that be for your current role, a role you are aspiring towards or soft skills like assertiveness.
Pros
No blame culture
Cons
Canteen food not great
Excellent Placement Provider
Java Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Taunton22 November 2017
My Placement was invaluable. The UKHO are a fantastic company to get involved with, a small office in Taunton that has a completely global reach in some of the most interesting areas going - Big Data, GIS and Maritime Safety.

Daily life was great, always busy with work but never swamped, I learnt an infinite more than my degree could offer and I'll never forget it.
Pros
Flexi time, Civil service discounts, Friendly workplace
Good job, poor management
Marine Charting Officer (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset11 January 2017
Flexible hours, good benefits and reasonable pay, but management out of touch with the workforce and prone to implementing unpopular changes. Best thing about the job - the co-workers. Almost without exception the nicest people I have ever had the privilege of working with.
Good, comfortable job but little hope of advancement
Employee (Current Employee) –  Taunton4 November 2016
Flexible hours available, good benefits, friendly atmosphere. However lower salary than equivalent private sector jobs and due to government cutbacks there is little chance of advancing more than a couple of grades, plus there is currently no automatic pay progression. Lower level co-workers generally great, management needs to engage more: changes often implemented without consulting the people that actually do the work. Workloads can be large, especially as the company is trying to streamline but more staff are actually needed.
Pros
Staff canteen, gym, social events, secure on-site parking, creche, flexible hours
Cons
Poor management, no pay progression, hard to advance career in the current environment.
Stock Production & Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Taunton6 April 2016
... can't wait to leave. unappreciated, undervalued. taken for a fool.
the company is not properly run with useless management
good working conditions and fair pay.
Warehouse Picking Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Taunton, ENG30 April 2014
I enjoyed very much the roll of warehouse supervisor. The roll was not only staff supervision but much more which included running off daily work, stock checks etc. Daily work loads fluctuated so had to plan each day as it come.The staff were great and we all got along together as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing deadlines as it gave me job satisfaction. I enjoyed all of the work and find it difficult to mention any down sides. The hardest part of the job was getting over computer breakdowns to complete the daily schedule.
Pros
good conditions
Cons
high management inconsistent
Work Experience
Part time student assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton29 May 2013
I worked for a week during the beginning of my GCSE studies at secondary school in the UKHO designing charts and studying mapping materials.
Pros
Fantastic working conditions
Cons
Excessive security checks
Interesting, challenging work - but poor senior management and attitude to contractors
Witheld (Former Employee) –  Taunton26 August 2012
Someone asked me what got me to work in the morning at the UKHO apart from my daily rate. The answer was, "there's a good chance it'll be better than yesterday morning".

If that bothers you, don't work there. If you enjoy fixing things and improving things, it's actually a good place to work.

It also has a relaxed working atmosphere, nice people and it helps that they are the undisputed best at what they do (nautical navigation charts).

On the down-side, their leadership doesn't seem to know how to translate a corporate strategy into a portfolio of programmes and projects, which will drive many quite mad due to the lack of actual achievement on the project front. Secondly, from a contractor point of view, they do see contractors (despite their reliance on them) as a service to be used rather than people, and you'll find yourself on the wrong end of many decisions based on that.

For permies, it's probably an excellent place to work; it just depends on what makes you tick.