UK Civil Service Employee Reviews

Excellent career path
Regional Head of Estates and Facilities Management Services (Current Employee) –  England29 November 2019
Great team work. Challanging role but very good job satisfaction. The role is very challanging but a pleasure to make a different to peoples working environments
Don’t bother
AA (Former Employee) –  DWP5 November 2019
I would no longer recommend working here . . . the biggest continual problem is poor management.
Other issues are bullying, favouritism, and clan culture.
Worked 8 years loved it
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester11 October 2019
Interesting dealing with the public get a clear insite into what people go through good times and bad
Loved dealing with the public and really enjoyed mu time their
Pros
Good outlook on life
Cons
Dealtwith difficult situations but found it challenginv
Very rewarding job enjoyable environment.
Personal Assistant to Investigators (Former Employee) –  Arkwright House Manchester27 September 2019
Working for the Government was a privilege. It was well paid, extremely brilliant hours. Had 6 weeks annual leave. I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it and only left as I had a young family and didn’t want to miss the time they were infants as it is very precious! In hindsight I should have gone back once the children were at full time schooling .
Excellent Organisation, Poor Graduate Scheme
Fast Stream Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 September 2019
I enjoy working for the Civil Service and making a difference. The management team and HR staff at the Fast Stream however have constantly let me down with their people management skills and their treatment of mental health disabilities.
Civil Service
Project Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 September 2019
The service has changed a lot. You can no longer work for the civil service and stick to the same job for life. Emphasis is about being a leader or leading in some area of your work role. Pressures are there to progress, opportunities are there also but most of the time there are people already in mind for the roles which makes it really unfair. I feel there is a lot of favouritism that goes on still.

seen staff
Mod
Administrative / Work Services Officer (Current Employee) –  RAF Wittering27 April 2019
Stable reliable place to work. The work life balance is positive and the opportunity to train in different areas is high. The pay could be better but the leave balance is excellent
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Low pay
Diary Manager (Former Employee) –  London14 March 2019
Did my summer internship there and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was given a lot of responsibility from the beginning and felt very incorporated into my team. Working in Private Office is quite different from other areas of HMRC so I wouldn't use this to generalise the experiences of others.
Safe and Stable
PA to Director of Data, Digital Technology (Current Employee) –  London5 November 2018
In my vies, Civil Service is a safe and stable place to work. Progression is slow and steady but camaraderie amongst teams and staff generally is excellent.

Pension scheme is good also. Good for plodders, rather than fast-trackers.
Pros
Good Pension, Flexi Working
Cons
Paper Pushing
Great place to work - job cuts coming
Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire5 November 2018
Lovely place to work and gain more experience but no security for your job. Excellent to gain more skills and get your foot into the civil service career route.
Professional and good
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  DWP London18 October 2018
I had no Issues
lots of support and very Professional in every sense
I loved working with staff and Management from District to Team Leader and Staff
Pros
Professional
Cons
Challaging, busy and constructive.
Logistic officer (Former Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire7 October 2018
working day 8am til 4pm, a knowledge of working on a computer, mandatory courses required annually, ability to be self motivated and work as a group, management are approciable, hardest part of job getting budget approval for business cases, the best part is who I work with and the constant communication with service and civilian personel.
Pros
Communication, achieving results, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Quite demanding
Excellent jobs, with interesting work colleagues
APPS to Departmental Secretary (Former Employee) –  London UK28 August 2018
A good place to work. There are jobs to suit all skill types. The working conditions are good. Most of my managers were good at their jobs. They have flex time working which helps with work/life balance
disorganised
Immigration Officer (Current Employee) –  UK24 August 2018
very disorganised, poor management structure, poor working tools, takes a long time to receive necessary training, poor communication between departments
Antiquated IT and strict processes
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead25 July 2018
Desperately needs new IT and target focussed incentives to improve efficiency. Management would benefit from exposure to private sector business environments. The world has moved on yet elements of the civil service seem stuck in a 70's time loop. Job security is a plus, not many industries can boast of employees with 50 years service...
Pros
Job security and ability to work for 50 years if that's what you want
Cons
IT and management is lagging the private sector by a couple of decades
fun and friendly
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  London22 July 2018
I really enjoyed working here. The staff were very supportive and there was excellent in house training provided. I learned a lot from working here and everyone was fun and friendly.
Pros
great people
Avoid
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham22 June 2018
The benefits package is under constant threat, and the salary not great. No real-terms increases for years now. The work feels increasingly incidental to the bureaucratic demands.
Ok to work here
Deputy Director of Communications (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 May 2018
It depends very much on which dept/team you work in but my experiecne varied greatly. I went from having a great team leader to an awful one who micro-managed everything you did.

There wasn't much room for advancement - they only wanted to promote those who 'fit'or Fast streamers who had had 6 months owrk experience in a Dept.
Pros
Good holiday benefits
Civil Service
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim3 May 2018
It's the civil service so all bank holidays are off, flexi time means you can take a 2 hour lunch and go home at 15:00. Work is dull and monotonous and usually involves dealing with irate members of the public.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Dull
Easy going place to work and people are good to work with
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire26 April 2018
I have learned a lot of things while working for the civil service plenty of support through classroom based courses and e-learning. Typical days work is given and keeps you going for either a few days or weeks. The flexi time is good for worklife balance. The culture of the civil service is changing from what it use to be so i'm looking for something new to get my teeth in too.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
pay, culture changing and maybe having