UK Border Force Employee Reviews

Be warned
Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 August 2019
Worked for them when IND, Border agency and then UKBF.
So many little people who will do all they can to get noticed and promoted on the back of informing on people they work with and lying in the process.

They changed the employment contract also which means they have you at beck and call doing most hours in peak summer times and expect you to take holidays in winter hen you do less hours.

Poorly trained staff all over he place who would rather let something or someone into the UK as they don't know what to do and useless managers who got promoted having misinformed about others know even less.

The salary starts at minimum and takes 10 years to get to the maximum and the annual hours they operate they often cut your salary looking to get more for less any way possible.

AVOID.
Pros
Having left
Cons
Poor management
Officer
Border Force Officer (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex8 August 2019
32 years experience in Border Control.
If you enjoy your sanity dont join these control freaks.
Terrible people failed Police officers and women who really hate men control you by rank.
I got out and took pension early last year.
Pros
Cons
Controlling management and bullying
Productive and career focused place to work
EXECUTIVE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Heathow21 February 2019
I've had a happy 15 years in Border Force. I'm now ready for a new challenge. Management have been great and really supportive and the workplace culture is strong and encouraging.
Great place to work, Nice group of people, Learnt a lot.
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Cardiff International Airport, Vale of Glamorgan26 January 2019
9 to 5, Spent most days analysing luggage and passports.
Some days would help out with security team and camera operation.
Learnt a lot about how to X-Ray and identify substances/weapons.
The most enjoyable part was the people I worked with.
Archaic
Assistant Officer (Former Employee) –  Felixstowe, Suffolk23 November 2018
Joined the job because it was a dream of mine, which quickly turned into a nightmare. Management is poor, with blocking promotions and training opportunities because of gender and age. Finally left due to gender and sexual discrimination. Would not recommend as an employer (especially to young women).
Pros
The job
Cons
Everything else
Terrible
Immigration Officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport15 October 2018
Shockingly bad waste of tax payers money. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. Micro managed from day one. Nepotism rife! Gradeism is prevelant and i expect the next thing will be saluting to your mangers. Far to much red tape when actually dealling with a case.
Pros
Civil servant pension
Cons
Long hours, terrible management
Nice place to work at
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands23 September 2018
offered me a lot of learning, this office uses classic method of administration. excellent place to start your career. I showed up with no experience in administration and while been there they though me a lot
Pros
good people
Very intense work environment
Border Force Officer (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Airport28 August 2018
Very busy environment being constantly on the go. Meeting people from all walks of life. Interviewing and communicative skills demanded at all times..Diplomacy and tact required.
Pros
Good pension scheme
Cons
Very busy atmosphere.
Higher Executive Officer
Training Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool City Centre6 July 2016
Working as a training team manager within Immigration requires dedication and commitment. The position will see you working all over the UK delivering training to staff
Pros
Promotion
Cons
travel
High pressure operational job
Chief Immigration Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool Airport6 July 2016
Working the border is a high stress environment, working to tight deadlines and targets. A fast paced incredibly busy workplace were teamwork counts.
From the manager down to the admin assistant, everyone overlaps to keep things going to meet SLA's. A lot of stakeholder relationships to maintain as well as keeping up to date with legislation changes.
Not a job for the fainthearted and requires commitment due to the 24/7 aspect of this operational role.
Pros
promotion prospects, job stisfaction
Cons
365/24/7 workplace, mobile grade
professional environment
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds9 February 2016
Varied from requesting documents in writing or over the telephone, scanning photographs, speaking to applicants and solicitors, assisting colleagues, requesting files, returning files, implementing visas.

Management were professional and approachable. My co-workers were team.
Seeing photographs of domestic violence victims, refusing leave to families.
Working with colleagues
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Distance
Physically and mentally demanding.
Border Force Officer (Former Employee) –  Dover, ENG19 October 2015
Every day was different with locations and job role changing sometimes on an hourly basis. I worked across the country as well as in Northern France covering passport control, freight searching and all Customs roles at both sea and airports.

The work was hard and often physical, especially working in the freight environment where it could also be very volatile when seizing goods and vehicles or removing illegal immigrants from lorries.

I had to learn a lot of legislation for both Immigration and Customs to ensure all my work was legal and could stand up in court if required, especially when arresting passengers.

The best part of the job was the support and friendship of collegues a a real team spirit which is very important when working long hours, at night in the cold and wet. The worst part of the job is the aggression towards officers from the travelling public.
Pros
shift work and good pay and pension
Cons
Long hours, stressful and often volatile
N/a
Operation Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT28 July 2015
Love my job, varied and very busy. Enjoy working in the airport environment. No two days are the same. very satisfying role.
Government
Border Force Officer (Current Employee) –  Folkestone, ENG1 August 2014
Shift worker since November 2002.

Working in France as part of an operational team.

Working in theUK as part of the training team delivering Diversity training.
Great Place to Work
Assistant Officer (Current Employee) –  Gatwick23 April 2014
Great Place to work. Lots of support, good training and overall a rewarding job. I genuinely feel like I am keeping the British Borders safe.
Bureaucratic and frustrating
Intelligence and Targeting Officer (Current Employee) –  Felixstowe11 January 2014
Out of date systems and processes cannot be changed due to lack of management buy-in. A blame culture paralyses innovation. Understaffed teams and looming job cuts increase the pressure on remaining staff and make everyone anxious. Lack of recognition for outstanding achievement promotes lethargy and disinterest. Distrust is promoted by a succession of managers who are only interested in quick wins for their CV so they can get their next promotion.
Pros
Flexible working (instead of overtime pay)
Cons
Unbearable culture
Attention to detail
Immigration Officer (Current Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, ENG4 January 2014
Ability to remain calm under pressure and to ensure accurate written reports are maintained. I pride myself on being able to use my initiative in introducing new procedures and adding to existing procedures to ensure smooth running of projects and day to day responsibilities. In addition, I have the know how to help colleagues to progress with their work load and offer help in my relevant expertise.
Due to the nature of my work, no one day is the same, I have often had to call upon my first aide skills with members of the traveling public.
I also act as a volunteer for the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service. This requires me to attend local hospitals to sign up vulnerable clients for "Home fire safety checks" Although this does not require any selling, I still need to be able to persuade members of the public to participate in this useful activity that is performed by the Fire Service.
Pros
To ensure members of public are dealt with in a professional manner.
Cons
To remain professional to passengers who cannot communicate.