UCL Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
Post Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  UCL27 June 2018
Typical day at work is interesting. You get to interact with students and facilitate projects with a specific aim and timeline. Laboratory demonstrations are also an interesting part of the job.
amazing
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Camden, Greater London21 June 2018
If you like healthcare and the medical profession then this is an ideal job for you. You are able to work as a team to benefit the patients In the hospital. It doesn't matter whether you are a doctor, nurse or administrator, everyone still works together to produce the best outcome for the patients who are unwell.
Excellent
PGCE Teacher Training (Former Employee) –  London7 June 2018
Tutors were caring and gave excellent advice and support. Good relationships with schools and good training activities. Reputation is excellent and well deserved.
Challenging and world-leading
Manager for SES Consortium (Current Employee) –  London5 June 2018
UCL is ranked in the top 20 universities in the world, sometimes top 10. The culture is one of excellence and ambition, and as such the work is demanding.
Pros
good holiday allowance
Cons
public sector paygrades
Productive and fun work
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  London5 March 2018
A great place for young scientists who want to improve their academic CV. little bureaucracy, a lot of freedom, and an excellent environment/ I recomend
Fun workplace
Senior Catering/Serving Assistant (Current Employee) –  Euston Square Station12 February 2018
Ideal with different people on a day to day basis with their request and demand and needs. And I learned that in order to meet peoples needs you have be calm, observant and patient, I manage about 10 student a day in different shifts. My work culture is make sure customer are at the end of the working and that my student staff not stressed out. The hardest part of the job is meeting all customers needs each day. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fun we have while we work.
A place where ideas are nurtured and then come to fruition, which have an impact locally, nationally and globally
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  London22 January 2018
The day can largely be split into 3 areas:

Responding to email (which can consist of any no. of issues)
Meetings or workshops
Dealing with academic mission. This can take many forms and can include dealing with teaching related issues, financial considerations, research questions and proposals.

The hardest part of the job is to be able to keep all the plates spinning at the same time. There are a lot of conflicts and as a result being able to time manage is an essential skill. If you can work in an HEI academic department, then you can work anywhere. You are exposed to just about every type of work related situation that there is. It builds resilience.
Pros
Academic environment which is enriching to work in, lots of areas of expertise. Good staff perks, supportive working environment
Cons
Undergoing a lot of change, sometimes the support for the professional staff is viewed as sub-par to that of the academic staff.
great place to work
Academy Executive Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
great place to work fresh healthy food daily the children are all very polite the teaching staff are all very welcome and treat you like you are family
Pros
work life balance
Cons
nil
Exciting and rewarding career
Principal HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  London12 January 2018
UCL is a great employer. With over 12,000 staff and over 30,000 students, there are plenty of opportunities for career development, enrichment and enhancement in both academic and professional service spheres.

I have worked in HR at UCL for many years, until Jan 2018, and have thrived on a wide range of challenges and initiatives. Days have rarely been the same, and with such a broad range of academic disciplines it is a buzzy and exciting place to be.

Location-wise, Bloomsbury is great; very much the university quarter of London. There is lots of investment in the estate and with UCL East, more to come.

Downsides? as with any place, lots to do and never enough time. Upside? The incredible academic and scientific advancements; the people; the culture and ethos.
Productive and fun workplace
Postgraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  London9 December 2017
- Nice people
- Tradition of excellence
- Good community
- Great location- shops, gym, underground and railway stations
- Some level of flexibility, depending on your role
It was a great workplace , I was only a volunteer But never the less I would recommend
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  London23 November 2017
I enjoyed my time there , I worked at the institute of archeology at this university , there was a lot of new developments going on in all fields there, the employees were really friendly and helpful
Salary was too low for the work entailed
Examinations/Data Officer (Former Employee) –  London27 October 2017
Although great people to work with. The Organization expected staff to work more for less. Most of the time staff felt under valued.
Great ideas, but not enough staff motivation.
Pros
term time
Cons
Under paid
good place to work
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  london18 October 2017
A good school to work in with good ideas and practice in education.
excellent colleagues and great science department. A fun and interesting place to work.
Good uni
student (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 October 2017
really helpful lecturers and teachers. the course was okay, would have preferred maybe some practical background but overall was a decent experience and would reccommend
Stimulating place to study and work
PhD Researcher (Current Employee) –  London6 October 2017
UCL has great research facilities and work culture. University is leading research centre for many disciplines. Great student support facility and networking opportunities.
Great Workplace fantastic work ethic
Project Support Officer/Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Project Support Officer/Data Analyst26 September 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working with this company great place to work, great people, great flexible working hours and not too stressful. Management are fantastic.
Fun job
Student Ambassador/Transition Mentor (Current Employee) –  London22 September 2017
The job consisted of many different objectives, most of which we were prepared through training. Great alternative for students that don't need to work 30 hrs a week.
People and company
CAFM Lead Consultant (Current Employee) –  Euston11 September 2017
Highly recommend people to work here, a fantastic place to be. really enjoy, the work balance, working from home. very relaxed environment. took me 2 months to memorise the whole buildings on the portfolio, over 400 properties.
Pros
people are fantastic
Cons
some managers can be devias
Productive and challenging workplace.
Printroom manageress. (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 September 2017
I am able to comment that although I was only a teenager I got a good salary and a Cheese and Wine Party as the youngest ever management position they had employed since King Henry the 8th had opened it. The litho print machine wasn't there then. It was excellent employment and I left to start a family.
Interim Post
Finance (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 August 2017
Nice Place to work, but management / Red tape and old fashioned ways of working got in the way and made the role unbearable in the end. I hope they have moved forward.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCL. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3