UCL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom162 reviews
Job terminated on first day due to COVID-19 so didn;t really get to know more. I do think the people were very nice. Environment good. Wasn't there long enough to justify the credit rating really, But people in my group extremely nice to me on my one and only day.
UCLH. Goals and Objectives
Ethically we work on hospital policies and goals, but it’s difficult to achieve the trust objectives if we have poor management in the unit . UCLH is a teaching hospitals , we nurses act as mentor to our students. I been in the trust for more than 7 years and I never been sent to a mentorship course. Overall UCLHis enjoyable place to learn and work is one of the best hospital in London.
ok place to work
Some amazing people to work with but management leaves a lot to be desired. Projects take a lot longer to get completed that in commercial sector and could improve processes and utilise expertise of contractors but chose not to take up that option
Productive and fun!
Productive and fun! I can access a variety of resources, especially the high-performance computer. The working environment is very nice, and it is close to many stores and markets.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Would recommend it. Great culture, lots of passion and obviously one of the top 10 Uni's globally. Fascinating, progressive and inclusive. Great diversity policies and somewhere that really cares about their students
Good place to work with great staff. Good opportunity for career advancement and a good culture for staff and students. I was based at the institute of education in a grade 2 star building
I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 month contract at UCL. Staff are helpful and the University is committed to a quality experience for both students and staff.
Fulfilling and productive place to work
UCL has a good working environment. I picked new skills such as using Camtasia, Oracle UPK, and multiple bespoke applications.
The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching diverse demography and groups of intelligent student and staff.

The culture was great and colleagues were amazing. I managed my time and projects without being micro-managed.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UCL?
Stressful, but productive
The College was an integral part of my life, until I semi-retired a couple of years ago. I worked with a close knit group of people who all looked out for one another.
The hours were long and tiring, yet staying on top of everyday instances was rewarding.
Pros
Job security / teamwork.
Cons
Enriching environment and innovative research
At UCL you feel you are part of something bigger which is very motivating.
Relaxed atmosphere
There is a lot of staff members off sick. Others have left the job. There are many temps working there.

Processess and management need an overhaul. New processes for quicker information retrieval need to be created/updated. Friendly department and staff, but more collaboration between staff duties is needed.

Staff are overloaded with work for missing members of staff or those on sick leave. They are flexible with work life balance. Heating is a problem in the building. For me the commute to work was horrendous and took too long, leaving you feeling drained before even starting work.
Fast Paced and exciting
I enjoyed every minute of my time at UCLH. I learned so much and gained lots of new skills. Everyone there had been there for so long, it was like a family
Role did not suit me. Good experience though
Travel cost did not make the role worthwhile. Stress with management style , workload and high staff turn over; work life balance not good with possible impact on mental wellbeing.Fantastic work colleagues though.On a positive note every experience is worthwhile. I have a fantastic role now for the same wage and well managed workload.
Fun workplace
At the university, we conducted multiple studies on how mental health such as dementia effects the elderly. We also learnt how to write extended reports and also helped organise experiments.
Interesting Place to work
Interesting place work due to its many subject areas and departments.
Generous annual leave and flexible working.

Also great social events where you can let you hair down
interesting place and quite exciting
i was fascinated by my experience here and i got to do the things that i enjoyed doing i found it all quite breathtaking and enjoyable and i really liked the experience.
Research jobs are always fun
Always some amazing progression in research level physics jobs. I would definitely love to work in Academia again! I was provided with notes and there are always professors and help available.
Flexible working time
Flexible working hours as long as work is done. Great collaborations. Poor career progression. Really high staff turnover. Space is limited. Buildings in poor condition.
Quality research and teaching
Overall it can be a great place to work with good employment policies and good training for staff. There are good benefits including pension, holidays and family friendly policies. Job security depends on the funding for the post, i.e. research funded posts by their nature have fixed funding so are not secure. Other posts are relatively secure.
Management is variable and there are some employee relations issues.
Good colleagues in my experience
UCL is on a big scale,with many faculties delivering teaching and research activities, so good scope for getting involved in projects and for moving to a new position if so choose.
Productive and fun
Was a good insight into the different departments within University. Enjoyed taking responsibility at UCL Open Day by representing my team and sharing information regarding our role within the University to prospective students.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UCL. Our community is ready to answer.