UK Government - Office of the Public Guardian Employee Reviews

Terrible
Content Design and Editorial Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire6 March 2019
Awful management - bullying and harassment. No induction or probation given and no support to develop or work to your full potential. Office old fashioned and uninspiring.
Ok
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire27 June 2018
There are worse jobs, but there are also better. Boring, chaotic amount of change, and despite claiming to care about mental health of staff, they run a mile from anyone who actually has any needs, and wants to use their support services. Don't go in as an agency worker - they fire you very easily, over nothing.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Low pay and no job security.
Fun workplace
Admin (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 June 2018
I learned how to do official admin work. workplace culture was very homely with a lot of people to help when confused about any of the work. training was on the job which was more productive.
Relaxed, flexible environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Archway Station5 April 2018
A public sector institution this was chaotically run but fun to work at and the people/atmosphere was excellent. I was promoted quite quickly within the role and I have fond memories of this position.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay
Civil Service
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  East Midlands28 February 2018
Good place to work as it provides flexible hours. It is part of the MoJ and so room to move to other Civil Service departments. Has offfices in London, Birmingham and Nottingham
Pros
Flexible working
Wonderful people, horrible workplace
Casework Progression Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire22 January 2018
It took 9 months for them to vet me, once I was employed it took a further month and a half before I got my first paycheck. I believe the staff there are all very dedicated, but the place is too tied down in bureaucracy to be run efficiently. The regional pay gap is unjustifiable, and despite much prompting the senior managers have done nothing to rectify this.
Very Cliquey
Contact Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Nottingham10 January 2018
The management behave more like a frat party. Lots of favoritism. Very unprofessional.

The job was ok, nothing special. No real prospects.

There are worst places to work.
Good work
Administrative Assistant, Allocations Team (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands13 November 2017
This was a satisfying role as I knew that I was benefitting others. However, some of the work was very repetitive - this isn't something I would normally mind but during longer days it could get hard to stay motivated with only half an hour of breaks.
The staff however were very friendly and I felt welcome throughout the building and office.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Boring
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire15 October 2017
This was a rewarding job role as I was helping and benefiting vulnerable people in society. I gained many skills as a administrator in the public sector. It gave me a great exposure to the civil service. I really enjoyed working as a team with the co-workers.
Productive and fun environment
Admin officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham13 June 2017
My job role was to register cases which was very challenging Some which were difficult cases, I worked independently had my own work station which I found very comfortable as I managed to complete quite a few cases in a short space of time. I also enjoyed inputting and updating data on our IT systems. And it had excellent pay.
Very clicky place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire8 June 2017
I enjoyed my role, but did not like the way managers treated staff.

Mangers lacked training,

I learned about Lasting Powers of Attorney documents and The Mental Capacity Act 2005.
Pros
Nice location and new offices
Cons
Bad atmosphere
Very flexiable employer. Promotes equal opportunities
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 April 2017
With flexible working hours and government benefits this employer with a delight to work with. They have a relaxed working environment and family oriented work ethic. The average age of staff here was about 40 - 45 so disproportionate amount of older to younger people. However, That had zero reflection on anything within the role.

The work itself can be quite interesting if you enjoy finance/auditing or just helping people in general. Very ethical role.
Pros
Understanding and flexibility
Cons
Low pay
What you have learnt
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 March 2017
There are a variety of roles within the organisation. Working in that environment I have learnt to develop various skills and competencies which I do believe would be difficult for me to learn else where.
Pros
Benefits and flexible working hours
Cons
Salary
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 March 2017
Lots of oppourtunies, flexibility and options to move around within organisation. Management is supportive and very helpful and they encourage development.
Pros
Flexible working hours and lots of benefits/discounts for staff
A place to develop
Learning and Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham10 June 2016
A typical day at OPG can be rather hectic like all other organisations, however the staff and managers all keep the customer at the heart of everything they do and it shows in the work they carry out. The work varies on the department you work in and cam be simple tasks as scanning or opening post to more complex legal decisions. No two roles are the same.

Whilst I have been with OPG I have learnt about lasting power of attorneys and how my initial role as a caseworker was important ensuring the best interests of the customer. My promotion into the L&D team has enabled me to develop my presentation skills along with giving me new skills in facilitation, coaching and mentoring.

The hardest part of the job is not forgetting the customers as everything we do in the business is to benefit them. while my new role takes me away from interacting with customers it is then even more important to ensure the training I develop and deliver remind the staff who attend the sessions that myself and the team are up skilling them to benefit our customers experience with us.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the training I deliver makes a difference to the staff and the customers.
Pros
Flexible working, additional benefits and the staff
fun work
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 June 2016
i worked for the finance department and it was a pleasant environment to work with. the team i worked with was great. my line manger was really good
A good place to work
Learning and Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  london13 June 2013
A good place to work and enjoyed my role. The most enjoyable part of my role was setting up the first London region L & D function.