UK Government - Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills Management reviews

Excellent work/life balance
Manageable workload with the opportunity for career development. Full support of management, colleagues and ability to take decisions. Working from home and the ability to plan tasks weeks in advance if need be. Highly recommended.
Culture of blame
Worked till you dropped, then made to feel responsible for not achieving unrealistic demands. Going into organisations that you never found out the real truth, as schools and colleges perceived you as the enemy.
good
good family balance. low pay. little training required but first aid needs renewing every three years. lots of book keeping and motivation needed. good time management skills required.
Pros
good family balance
Cons
not good pay
Priviledge to be able to support the huge range of provision in the early years sector.
Undertaking complex pieces of work such as - survey work - inspections-preparing and deliver best practice seminars to a range of audiences on aspects of practice, leadership and management for authorities.Extensive experience of conduct effective and consistent inspections and investigation of providers.Ability to present sound analytical conclusions from a wide range of complex evidence and data and take appropriate action
Very challenging work having to be a good role model both inside and outside the organisation.

Very rewarding when providers act on what you tell them. Very frustrating when providers do not listed to what you are saying. Good communication skills and patients are essential!
Pros
Good pension scheme
A professional workplace
There is no typical day. I am fully prepared with plans, resources and management strategies with the knowledge that plans may have to be adapted or overhauled quickly with appropriate back-ups to hand. Differentiating is key to allowing every individual to access the work and this can be the most rewarding, as well as the most challenging, aspect of the day.
Pros
Helpful, friendly staff
Cons
Long hours and the need to work at home
Productive and a fun working enviroment
school runs and playgroup outings day trips, learning what makes children tick and how they learn through example. time management, form filling, keeping accurate records. hardest part of the job cleaning up and then getting ready for the next day, but trying to keep your house looking like a home! looking back on old photos and seeing all the fun the children had.
Good work, good people
I worked a multitude of roles across the business during my time at Ofsted and found colleagues to be caring towards each other as well as having a genuine passion for the work that the company did.

Support from managers was usually very forthcoming, the IT hardware and software was, on the whole, more current than many other companies thanks to a forward looking IT dept.

There was active encouragement to do NVQs and other qualifications as well as numerous technologies that encouraged staff to embrace a joined up approach to working across departments.

I am aware the company has undergone significant changes since my time there and there are now more offices and different management structures, but the above is the experience I had working for the company.
Pros
Community spirit amongst teams, flexible working
Cons
Potential travel between multiple offices
Professional but relaxed workplace
Busy days involving meetings with senior and middle managers, planning and organising work tasks.

I learnt managing and organising conferences and meetings, booking intercity travel and hotels for senior managers, and efficient data management.
Pros
Flexible working hours (with core hours)
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Government - Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills?
Productive with question marks?
My day to day duties were interesting as I learned new things which helped develop my skills and experience. I spoke to various inspectors, helping them with their enquiries and made arrangements for their meetings etc. Also helped on Regional Events taking place across the region. My co-workers were professional and helped me settle in my job. There were a few aspects which I found unfair and discriminating by management due to poor management structure. However, I move forward looking back at the positive things achieved in my role with OFSTED, knowing I did well in my job which was clearly seen by other members in the office except the people in my team due to poor work politics. So much of equal opportunities and treating everyone fairly! But never the less, I believe hard work never goes to waste, I will find a better job with better management structure.
Pros
Extra hours put in gives you time on flexi which is great.
Cons
Weak Management
Very great place to work, satisfying knowing that you are working towards a really great purpose such as decent education for all.
Worked as part of the Information Management team.

Day to day duties were very varied. No week was the same as the last.

I collaborated on various projects, including -

- Spot checks on all of Ofsted's different department’s data. To ensure that permissions for accessing data were correct and secure.

- Facilitated an external audit on Ofsted's readiness and preparations for the upcoming changes to the Government's security classification markings

- Developed an online reporting tool, using Microsoft InfoPath, to create a new, user friendly process for reporting data loss incidents. Such as lost laptops, memory sticks etc, which will improve the existing way of reporting them by enabling instant access to statistics.
Pros
Rewarding and varied duties, great team atmosphere, fantastic manager, and a sense of working towards a great goal, which was improving the standards of education.
Cons
Microsoft Sharepoint, which was a rather unpopular system in place.
Productive relaxed place of work.
The days seemed quite long however i think this was due to repetitive work and feeling unchallenged.

Management was great within this work enviroment.
Pros
Good Holidays, Good working enviroment
Cons
Unpaid lunch
Everything you think working for a regulator would be
I was with the office here from the day it opened to the day it closed. Regulating businesses is never fun and when the businesses you're running involve the care of small children, you work under the pressure that any mistake could cause real harm.
Pros
Near where i lived
Cons
Unnecessary office management by silo
Busy from start to end of day
Typical day: Dealing with his Inbox (in & out of it all day as large volume of emails). Telephone is very manic, appointments, requests, conference attendance, speakers requests daily. I book travel, hotels weekly. (this can change at very short notice within that day). Deal with his expenses. Order office equipment and stationary. Arrange meetings, prepare papers, disseminate in timely manner, book rooms, arrange passes for quests, book hospitality, keep records of all above for accounts reference. Management: Small team in York so management opportunities. Hardest part of job: is learning what the inspectors do and outcomes of school inspections. This often has an impact if covered on the TV, this puts us in the limelight, so it can have a knock on effect in the office the following day with numerous calls and requests for TV and radio coverage with the director.
Enjoyable: fast paced and a huge earning curve which gives you a buzz.
Pros
opportunity to take on courses to further develop your career
Cons
Travelling to toehr offices, Work home life balance
Very enjoyable and fulfilling role
I greatly enjoy the varied aspects of the childminders role, no two days are ever the same. It has been a great joy to spend time with each child in my care and to help them through my observations, assessments, planning and provision to achieve their early learning and development goals.
I have learnt a great deal about my abilities to run a successful business, fulfilling all the duties within my self employment from budget management and forecasting, planning to marketing.
I have developed strong relationships with other childminders and have been part of the Bucks Buddy Team providing mentoring and support to newly registered childminders. I am an Accredited Childminder providing government funded early education places for 2, 3 & 4 year olds, within this I have undertaken additional training and worked closely with a PACEY Co-ordinator.

The hardest part of the job is the long hours without a break, I currently work from 7.30 am to 6.00 pm, due to the aspect of the work there is no opportunity for a break within the day.

There are so many aspects to the job that I enjoy, every child brings something different to enjoy. I take great pride and enjoyment from observing, assessing, planning and delivering learning and development opportunities for the individual child, documenting thoroughly and presenting a Learning Journey for each child. The business management and marketing aspects of running a small business I find to be enjoyable and challenging.
Pros
Exciting and varried job role
Cons
Long Hours
See more UK Government - Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills reviews
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Government - Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
UK Government - Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills Reviews by Job Title